Topic: In game voice chat

I didnt search to see if this is been discussed, but it sure would make grouping with random people alot eaiser.

Could be a squad based voip.

What say you?

Re: In game voice chat

didn't this fail in wow?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

3 (edited by Arga 2011-10-21 18:21:52)

There was a thread or two on it, the conclusion was basically that there are good services out there already. I just installed a Cisco VoIP system for my company, and it takes a significant level of skill to maintain it. Maybe if they partnered with a 3rd party and integrated it into the client later, but for them to support it would use a lot of internal resources.

Edit: Ville, the concept of client based voice is a good one, and acutally with the new LFR systems in WoW, the WoW voice is getting used more often since raids are now more ad hoc. Previously raids, even pugs, were normally organized by guild players with access to guild servers. And the players that did any amount of raiding already had TeamSpeak or Vent installed. LFR means new players that may have never raided are now entering raids without TS or Vent, so groups are utilizing the built-in voice much more frequently.

still waiting for TS2 ingame support (not implementation, but support for features like directional audio position, and squad window highlighting speaker wink)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I like it! big_smile
But it will require dedicated server i guess...

after 4 years in wow no one on my entire server used in game chat.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

That's not really the point. The option is there for people to use it, and that's the diffrence here. If there's 6 guys that want to do something together but none have a teamspeak server, they're all typing. Would be nice to have the option to use ingame voice chat to chat with squadmates. Corps will still have their teamspeak or whatever, but this way they could squad someone and not have to give out their information to comunicate by voice.

In-Game VoIP is rather expensive and when there aren't that many people to use it I am not sure it's worth it.
If it's an additional charge then it can't be used as not everyone has it and if you don't charge extra it can be an expensive service to run and would be difficult to configure.

It's a good future feature that will at some point will be worth adding but right now I think I'd prefer the ease of Teamspeak, Mumble or Ventrilo.

Ville wrote:

after 4 years in wow no one on my entire server used in game chat.

I've lived in my apartment for 3 years, no one in my building has ever used the toilet.

whats so hard about using TS or vent ?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

whats so hard about using TS or vent ?

Ye, in game vc would be just another take on limited dev resources (=time to implement some new content)

lol.

I don't know much about it to be honest, maybe you're right about it being expensive, but if games like Global Agenda can have a functional ingame voice chat, I don't see why Perpetuum couldnt do it. The ability for people to randomly group with friends or other people outside their alliance and still be able to voice chat without having a server for another program is something to be desired.

Does GA run off a single server in Hungry? big_smile

Adding voice would mean additional gateways around the world or buying time on a cloud based solution (like akami).

Not to be negative, I think the idea is great, but probably needs a larger player base to be cost effective.

This is the last thing we need atm. Think eve took like 5-6 years to add this feature.

RIP PERPETUUM

I like the idea of the ingame vc feature, but I would hate if it absorbed money from other more pressing issues: content development and marketing. I want more players in here, stat. :-)

ingame vc in every game i have played is not very good about quality. of cource because you dont want to waste too much rescources in developing that as well as the additional traffic that also costs money. besides that every organised group has a ts/vent/whatever server. so if you want voice communication casual with a few ppl then look for a free ts server where you can join up und use that. and yes there are a few public servers... just find them and share the ip with the guys you want to tlk to. yes it would be easyer in a ingame voice chat. but for that few ppl its not worth the work besides as it has been mentioned before here: the game need other important improvments and it would be a waste of time to give the 5 guys that are not organised an ingame a voice chat.
and if that dont helps you can just ask around. im sure you find someone somewhere who is willing to give yo a channel for a handfull ppl on a server he owns.

if we would let the community vote if they want a ingame vc or any other game feature then guess what the results would be like?

The results would most likely be;

Yes, but not a priority.

The devs like to write thier own code for everything, simplest way would be to integrate an existing source into the Perp client http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Open … P+Software, but there's still the issue of distributed servers. Time and money is all anything takes to implement. smile

Maybe it's possible to just add in some kind of launcher button to the client, that will open vent/ts with settings from within the perp client; meaning players download and install vent/ts, but the settings (ip, pass) can be written out from perp to the vent/ts config file. Perp side settings can auto-populate with corp vent/ts settings, or be manually set.

Just blue-skying here, even something like that is, not at this time.