Re: Alpha Observer Removal

My opinion is that I support removal of observers of Alpha Islands, as there should be a more dramatic difference from Alpha to Beta Islands, to make them more attractive.
In the present situation, there is apart from Epitron, no reason to dwell and take the risk, to go to an Beta Island, let alone live and defend one.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

I agree with the removal of SO from Alpha islands, but I do think that GO should still be roaming the Alpha II islands.

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin

I also don't see afk mining 'legally' possible for any long periods of time, even my riveler mk2 gets filled up shortly after it has to reload charges so, the reload bug wasn't such a big issue for me. There is a thin line in mining between adding more risks, and just making it more annoying than enjoyable.

If you make mining more 'fun' then more players will start to mine. This will in turn lower ore values and would need even more time to get the same reward out of it, in nic value that is.

RIP PERPETUUM

Annihilator wrote:

Sundial, Scyllla, Takeo

have you been out mining or doing anything on alpha since the patch? do you know what your are talking about?
something like AFK mining is not possible at all, as smokeyii already says. If you can do it, your probably cheating, using illegal macros.

Yesterdays chat ingame - while you all have been playing forum warriors - you could read often about ALPHA noobs beeing killed by a roaming caravan.

I have been mining and harvesting since the patch. As I stated in several posts I am an indy focused player.

The real question is:

Why are you not capable of fully reading a post???

Several of my post have suggested a tiered system which actually give the no risk mining crowd a place to be on alpha 1, alpha 2 being more rewarding for the miners willing to actually risk something and the beta islands for the ultimate reward.

Roaming caravans have always been there. A couple of noobs getting killed by them is nothing new.

What is new is that you are finally showing your true colors. I have seen you stink up the forums with posts about feature after feature. Often shooting others peoples ideas down under the assumption you are the end all be all of knowledge in Perpetuum. You aren't. What your posts in this thread actually show is that you are part of the no risk for all the reward crew when it comes to industry.  The game isn't supposed to be on easy mode everywhere bro.. Suck it up.

Inappropriate signature.

55 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-15 17:16:38)

Anni, yes I have and I have tons of corpmates who mine out of tellesis. Its unfortunate when people go AFK and get popped by roaming mobs, but its ultimately their fault.

Question for you Anni:

Should all alpha islands be the same (same refinery, factory, spawns, ore, mobs)? Thats essentially what you guys are arguing for, that increased bonus should come with no consequences, and that I completely disagree with.

I think for increased bonus, you should have increased risk. People that do not want the risk can go to alpha 1.

If you do not wan't to be alert / protect your assets, you can go to alpha 1. Its safe there smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

56 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-15 17:21:21)

Celebro wrote:

I also don't see afk mining 'legally' possible for any long periods of time, even my riveler mk2 gets filled up shortly after it has to reload charges so, the reload bug wasn't such a big issue for me. There is a thin line in mining between adding more risks, and just making it more annoying than enjoyable.

If you make mining more 'fun' then more players will start to mine. This will in turn lower ore values and would need even more time to get the same reward out of it, in nic value that is.

Right, I am mainly talking about people using macros to mine liquizit / hdt. Those should be the people who get popped by the roaming mobs, not players who are decently alert and do not go afk for long periods of time.

observers do kill decently alet players - they are to fast and overpowered,

nothing kills macro miner, as they are not so dumb to not write an escape macro triggered by observer appearing on landmarklist.

i would not care about observers or such, if i could get the same alert as legal player. audio alarm or something when a specific red dot enters my visual range. But we dont get that.

and about the increasing difficulty:
- caravans on alpha 1 are moving with 30 kph (3rd star npcs)
- caravans on alpha 2 are moving with 40 kph (4th star npcs)

there is no need for artifical difficulty npcs. I could suspect behind your oxymoronic argumentation, that you want observer kernels or simply less new player in game. As you say, observer are no issue for exactly those you are against: high lvl beta player mining on alpha.

and hell, my lvl2 refinery in tellesis isnt worth losing a heavy mech... or any equip that has noralgis in it.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

nothing kills macro miner, as they are not so dumb to not write an escape macro triggered by observer appearing on landmarklist.

i would not care about observers or such, if i could get the same alert as legal player. audio alarm or something when a specific red dot enters my visual range. But we dont get that.

and about the increasing difficulty:
- caravans on alpha 1 are moving with 30 kph (3rd star npcs)
- caravans on alpha 2 are moving with 40 kph (4th star npcs)

there is no need for artifical difficulty npcs. I could suspect behind your oxymoronic argumentation, that you want observer kernels or simply less new player in game. As you say, observer are no issue for exactly those you are against: high lvl beta player mining on alpha.

and hell, my lvl2 refinery in tellesis isnt worth losing a heavy mech... or any equip that has noralgis in it.

Anni- If a macro mining program can pay attention to the landmark list and and get away, why can't a person behind the keyboard? Why do you need an audible alert? Is it because you aren't at the keyboard? Is it because you aren't paying attention to the game and practicing some google-fu? If you are at the keyboard, game up on your active monitor and have the landmarks list up you don't need an alert....

It isn't about being a high level beta player. I have only been playing for about 3-4 months now, have spent a grand total of maybe 4 hours on a beta island and I haven't been killed by an observer while mining or harvesting. Why haven't I been killed? I pay attention to the landmark list and move when a bad guy pops up.... It is as simple as that.....

Honestly, I could care less about afk miners. Let them. Sooner or later someone will pop an observer stash, pop an infestation or a wandering spawn of some sort will get them.

What Sundial and I are saying is that alpha 2 islands shouldn't be all frills, lace and cotton candy. Observers have a place on them. You can have your care free mining on an alpha 1. You should get better fields,enhanced regen of resources, etc on alpha 2 islands along with a friendly neighborhood observer to keep you on your toes.

Inappropriate signature.

59 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-15 19:20:18)

Annihilator wrote:

1. I agree with SO's, not with grands.
2. Then don't go there!
3. Do you wan't to be 100% at the mercy of beta corps to acquire observer kernels?

This is the first time I have heard alpha players asking to nerf alpha and essentially buff beta.

if i want to get observer kernels, i go artifac scanning - the time vs. reward involved is 200% better then searching for a lone mech running around an island somewhere.

there isnt a real "must have" for observer kernels either. there are plenty of 4th star spawns on alpha that you can grind to reach the end of research. (i know, its a long way, but not impossible)

btw, now your back to "kernel" discussion... wink and DEVs already announced the change that will replace that need for observers in that regard (and even i have mentioned it in the last podcast at the very end if you have listened)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

if i want to get observer kernels, i go artifac scanning - the time vs. reward involved is 200% better then searching for a lone mech running around an island somewhere.

there isnt a real "must have" for observer kernels either. there are plenty of 4th star spawns on alpha that you can grind to reach the end of research. (i know, its a long way, but not impossible)

btw, now your back to "kernel" discussion... wink and DEVs already announced the change that will replace that need for observers in that regard (and even i have mentioned it in the last podcast at the very end if you have listened)

The egg system right?

Well anyways thats a discussion for another time.

I will miss grand observers (they never really were able to roam around anyway because players always killed them)

Sundial wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

2. Then don't go there!
3. Do you wan't to be 100% at the mercy of beta corps to acquire observer kernels?

This is the first time I have heard alpha players asking to nerf alpha and essentially buff beta.

There was and still is little reason to go to beta anyways, SO removal might motivate players to go get them where they belong, in beta. For most of alpha players this is not a nerf. Alpha became just more new player friendly and miner friendly and beta got a a buff, win/win.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Sundial wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

2. Then don't go there!

There was and still is little reason to go to beta anyways, SO removal might motivate players to go get them where they belong, in beta. For most of alpha players this is not a nerf. Alpha became just more new player friendly and miner friendly and beta got a a buff, win/win.

Removal of SO was a good thing (but its debatable really). GO's were well balanced for alpha 2 islands. How often did you see a GO roaming around? Not often, because the players would actually kill him.

sorry, didnt see GO very often on Tellesis, because it was a SO, and if that one is not killed, it is passing you very often in a short time

1 day before patch, the GO was running around, and it was passing me two times within one hour. so i guess around 40 minutes for one trip?

Annihilator wrote:

sorry, didnt see GO very often on Tellesis, because it was a SO, and if that one is not killed, it is passing you very often in a short time

1 day before patch, the GO was running around, and it was passing me two times within one hour. so i guess around 40 minutes for one trip?

Or there were 2 GOs.. I have seen on Tellesis 2 SOs and a GO roaming the same path 5 mins apart.. The GO usually gets popped within a few hours so that just leaves SOs..

I dont mine (much) I rat. SO coming my way means I have to run and fast (like immediately) usually through the mob im farming. I realize its an Alpha 2 but the speed of those things means if im distracted or in the wrong spot for just a second, pop gos my bot with no chance of getting away. Thats not right.

Lana Torrin wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Or there were 2 GOs.. I have seen on Tellesis 2 SOs and a GO roaming the same path 5 mins apart.. The GO usually gets popped within a few hours so that just leaves SOs..

I dont mine (much) I rat. SO coming my way means I have to run and fast (like immediately) usually through the mob im farming. I realize its an Alpha 2 but the speed of those things means if im distracted or in the wrong spot for just a second, pop gos my bot with no chance of getting away. Thats not right.

It all boils down to the attention you pay the game. You said it yourself. Plus if you fear the observer, go find a different spawn that isn't on its path.

I am fine with removing the SOs (not really but I am in the minority on it) but the GOs need to stay on alpha 2.

Starter islands should be the safe haven and things should get progressively harder as you move away. GOs fit in on alpha 2 islands.

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:
Lana Torrin wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

It all boils down to the attention you pay the game. You said it yourself. Plus if you fear the observer, go find a different spawn that isn't on its path.

I am fine with removing the SOs (not really but I am in the minority on it) but the GOs need to stay on alpha 2.

Starter islands should be the safe haven and things should get progressively harder as you move away. GOs fit in on alpha 2 islands.

There are very few spawns on Tellesis that aren't in the path. There are a few light bot statics for missions and a couple of random spawns, with only 1 of them being any good and its ALWAYS camped.

And by 'as soon as I saw it' I meant the second it was on my landmarks if I wasn't running for cover I wasn't going to make it out.. They are just too fast to run away from in a tanked mech.

The GO is much easier to get out of its way (or even try and kill it) but I have no strong feeling toward it one way or another.. People want a reason to go on to beta, perhaps observer farming can be one of those reasons..