Re: Alpha Observer Removal

Gran Observers - Yes, Superior Observers - No.  I could not take a piss without rushing back to the PC wondering if my riveler was going to get popped.  God forbid you have to take a duece.

Scyylla keep in mind this is a game to have fun.  Theres only a couple of individuals who play this game because they hate life and like self mutilation, i.e. Line.  But the rest of us view mining as a stressless relaxing feature while we enjoy the comfort and hilarity of Mystery Science 3000 Reruns.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

You described me in the second paragraph there Ville, betcha can't guess which one though tongue

28 (edited by Arga 2011-10-14 19:59:53)

Sundial wrote:

How is the risk high when you can easily outrun the roaming mobs?

The risk is low, but the people are lazy wink

EDIT:

I have 3 dedicated mining accounts btw.

Only 3!?! big_smile

Superior observer Risk was too high, saying now that risk is managable (roaming mobs are easily managed if you don't AFK mine) those miners may come back but maybe not, because they'll still have to sell stock cheap due to low demand. More likely many multi-account miners will just gather EP and wait til population increases and they can make a reasonable return on time invested.

EDIT: We have a number of PIE players that are doing exactly that, waiting.

29 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 20:06:26)

Off topic:

There are many kinds of miners in this game. Should there not be levels of difficulty / reward that suit them all?

A. Miners who like to AFK/Macro
B. Miners who like to maximize returns and minimize risk
C. Miners who like to do other things while mining like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 (they naturally like minimal risk)
D. Miners who love going out with their bot fit to survive just about anything who enjoy high risk / reward and unpredictable events.

Currently:
Alpha 1 caters to group A and B
Alpha 1 or 2 caters to group B and C
Beta caters to group D

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Return of the Octupus Man is on at 8!!

Of course there should be variable risk level!

When they first released the hounds (Sup Obs) though I made the same comments about them being too fast and too frequent. It was only the realization that if you stood still you wouldn't get targeted that shut-down the arguement. The risk of accidentally moving or not paying attention to your surrounding was an acceptable level of risk for the SObs. Anni's thread picked up many months after that when it became apparent they were going to change it so the bug about stationary targets. An actively targeting SO would never have been an acceptable risk level for mining, mostly due to speed and reaction time required. Beta islands are more targeted for group play, as such the need for scouts is accepted, and if you choose to solo play there you understand that your risking more then a group player. Alpha's are designed more to support solo play, but it does also reward for group play. Even so the alpha-ii islands, because of distances, almost require you to have a second account for hauling.

I'm rambling. sad

So, there's that fog horn that sounds on Tellesis occasionally. Wouldn't that be cool if it actually signaled the arrival of a grand observer, or if there was some other indication that a GO had spawned and would be roaming the Island for the 30 minutes or so?

Arga wrote:

o.O

Market analysis!

Don't forget to take into account the miners with (5) accounts and millions of NIC and 1000's of U's of ore that stopped logging in because the demand was too low to sell and the risk was too high to mine.

Maybe they'll come back, but unlikely since the demand is still low.

Thats exactly the problem with some of this nonsense. The game barely has enough players to keep the economy semi functional as it is.  We don't need to be driving players off, just because some of the PvP types start howling about "Risk/Reward". 

Where have we seen these antics before?... ^^  Damn CareBears hide in high sec and run L4's and mine!! There is no risk for their reward!!!... Of course, the howlers could also do that if they wished to... They just want to ruin others play experience as much as possible.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Wraithbane wrote:
Arga wrote:

o.O

Market analysis!

Don't forget to take into account the miners with (5) accounts and millions of NIC and 1000's of U's of ore that stopped logging in because the demand was too low to sell and the risk was too high to mine.

Thats exactly the problem with some of this nonsense. The game barely has enough players to keep the economy semi functional as it is.  We don't need to be driving players off, just because some of the PvP types start howling about "Risk/Reward". 

Where have we seen these antics before?... ^^  Damn CareBears hide in high sec and run L4's and mine!! There is no risk for their reward!!!... Of course, the howlers could also do that if they wished to... They just want to ruin others play experience as much as possible.

Do you not agree there should be varying levels of risk/reward?

If you do not, then you do not want game balance.

I wrote my complains from a perspective that AFK/Macro miners should not rule the markets for the lowest prices. Look at the price of liquizit for instance. Give miners who are more alert and is willing to take more risk more options, and keep those macroing/AFK miners on alpha 1 where they belong. I beleive if you are actively involved in your mining you should have higher returns / better options. AFK miners should NOT be on equal ground with legitimate miners.

first thing i ran into today online was the roaming spawn that was not spawning because of observer never got killed.

two 4th star blaswaves, some 4th star yagels and silver sequers.

they have been not much slower then the observer (faster then a grand) -> guess how long it takes your afk miner to plop

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Stop bashing the AFK miners Bro.  My sequers are hard at wo... I mean docked up in station while my brother plays perpetuum.

Ville wrote:

Stop bashing the AFK miners Bro.  My sequers are hard at wo... I mean docked up in station while my brother plays perpetuum.

I have nothing against AFK mining, however I think it should not reward the same amount as a miner who is actually at the keyboard.

Risk of NPC's attacking your AFK miners is a good way to do this.

Arga wrote:

Risk versus Reward is not the only way to balance. Time for Reward is just as valid.

So when you say miners are out there gathering without little risk, that's true, but it takes time to mine. Adding additional risk does not increase reward at all.

More risk less reward, the exact opposite of what it should be.

Time versus Reward... wrong answer....

Yep. I just spent 4 hours sitting in the terminal! Where is my reward??????

The reward is scaled to the risk in these types of game Arga... Unfortunantly there is a group within the mining community that wants to eat the cake they have already been given.

Ville-- no offense bro but if you want to watch some mystery science 3000 or just some reruns of happy days then you shouldn't log in. Enjoy your time not running back and forth from the couch to empty your cargo. Enjoy the fresh air. Show the family some attention and de-stress away from the game.

Wraithbane--- If people leave the game because a poor little npc can actually pop them then so be it. Dumbing the game down to the point of not having to risk anything won't keep players either... The issues that many of us have with the removal of observers has nothing to do with ruining others game. It has to do with the foundations that make a sandbox mmo. Sandbox MMOs are designed to be a risk versus reward. As far as I am concerned there should be no issue for a miner to move out of range of an observer or wandering spawn if they are actually paying attention. Once again-- Tier the alpha island's risks as well as rewards. You want to go sit and mine with jack sh*t for risk then a starter island should be your friend..

Also for the record Wraithbane-- I am a miner/indy player and I loved having the SO around to spice things up but then again I actually pay attention to my radar..

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:

What where you doing in the terminal? I didn't say you should get a reward for just logging in.

But, you could spend 4 hours in the terminal playing the market, and you would get a reward for your time.

I'm actively mining, I spend time mining, I get a reward.

Right answer.

If you find watching lasers boring, like piglett, then I can send you a waypoint on Tellesis for a red sterm field under a fixed NPC spawn of 2 mechs and 3 assaults that will keep you entertained.

Well, tbh, if I was able to actually tank whatever NPC may come around to shoot me as a miner, I would totally agree with you Scyylla.

In that other game you were able to tank your hulk according to the NPCs you would encounter, sacrificing your mining yield, which I did.
In perp you can not do that, almost every NPC eats your miner for breakfast. Maybe possible with a lot of EP, but me and my 160k EP just can´t tank them. So I have to run, which would be no prob if the field capsule stayed open for 700 to 800m like it did before. Some roaming spawns are very slow moving which doesn´t allow me to get back to my container without being blown up as I can´t tank them, my only choice would be to let the container expire.

Is that really intended game mechanic?

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

Sid from mining wrote:

Question:

In EVE, how big where cargo holds / size of ore mined compared to cargo hold? How does it compare to perpetuum? Where did you "empty" your Hulk?

41 (edited by Celebro 2011-10-15 00:04:43)

This a great change for alpha miners, and new players alike. No matter how much you lower your mining yield these over powering npcs were no match for non combat players, the only option was to run away, though as a miner I wouldn't mind roaming wave of lights or arkhes , something miners have a possibility to tank or even taking them down.

@ sandial

Hulks could empty in cans just like perpetuum though they had a limited space, they were far larger than a miner cargohold, these cans are free so you could jettison more no need to buy or take them with you they last for 2 hours in space. More advanced miners with alts could put ore directly into a mining support ship 'orca' with cargohold far exceeding what the lithus can hold in comparison. Container mining was risky though due to ore thieves.

RIP PERPETUUM

42 (edited by Scyylla 2011-10-15 00:17:07)

Arga wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

What where you doing in the terminal? I didn't say you should get a reward for just logging in.

But, you could spend 4 hours in the terminal playing the market, and you would get a reward for your time.

I'm actively mining, I spend time mining, I get a reward.

Right answer.

If you find watching lasers boring, like piglett, then I can send you a waypoint on Tellesis for a red sterm field under a fixed NPC spawn of 2 mechs and 3 assaults that will keep you entertained.

And you should be risking your bot when you undock as well.....

You are risking your NIC playing the market.

Your answer--still wrong

No thanks on the sterm field. I have atleast 7 red fields marked for my abuse! I do appreciate the offer though.

Seriously Arga, there should be risk associated with sitting for hours on end mining. Like I stated in several of my posts the risk and the rewards need to be tiered to the islands.

examples:

Starter Islands:

all ores but epriton present--- this could even be tweeked to remove an additional ore/liq to encourage players to move to a higher tier island
all plants but noralgis present
minor spawns only including low level wandering spawns to keep the afkers in check
ore fields within a reasonable distance of a terminal or outpost

Alpha 2:

ore/plant types-- same as starter islands
harder wandering spawns--- bronze/silver or higher tiered npc. mech/h mech
wandering grand observers (i would prefer SO but I am definently in the minority on that)
Larger ore fields (say 1.5-2x)
ore fields further from terminal/oupost-- this lends itself to team operations for those without alts
faster respawn of resources

Beta:

ore/plants---- all but titan (need to keep beta folks going to alphas as well) and noralgis
toughest spawns to include wandering SO h mechs
Large fields (same as alpha 2)
fields located throughout the island regardless of distance from an outpost/terminal
fastest respawn of resources

Once again-- risk and reward go hand in hand. If you want a better reward you should have to take a larger risk. I am not saying that a miner should be exposed to the same level of risk as a pvp/pve toon but they have to be exposed to risk in some form. If that means that a miner loses a can of ore becuase they chose to mine on an island with observer spawns (following my example from above) then so be it. Either cooperate with a corpie/friend or haul more often.

Inappropriate signature.

Sid from mining wrote:

Well, tbh, if I was able to actually tank whatever NPC may come around to shoot me as a miner, I would totally agree with you Scyylla.

In that other game you were able to tank your hulk according to the NPCs you would encounter, sacrificing your mining yield, which I did.
In perp you can not do that, almost every NPC eats your miner for breakfast. Maybe possible with a lot of EP, but me and my 160k EP just can´t tank them. So I have to run, which would be no prob if the field capsule stayed open for 700 to 800m like it did before. Some roaming spawns are very slow moving which doesn´t allow me to get back to my container without being blown up as I can´t tank them, my only choice would be to let the container expire.

If you have to run away and can't get back to your can then so be it. That is part of the risk of mining. It is also a hint that you might want to haul more often or have a corpie/friend help if you don't have an alt to do it for you.

The same holds true if your isp drops you and your can expires. Forces beyond your control (except by hauling more often) have cost you a can of ore.

* A quick personal observation on random wandering spawns--- they tend to wander the same paths. If you notice you keep getting chased away from the same spot by the same type of spawn it is a good indictaion to move to a different spot or change the times you mine it.*

Inappropriate signature.

44 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-15 00:41:05)

Celebro wrote:

@ sandial

Hulks could empty in cans just like perpetuum though they had a limited space, they were far larger than a miner cargohold, these cans are free so you could jettison more no need to buy or take them with you they last for 2 hours in space. More advanced miners with alts could put ore directly into a mining support ship 'orca' with cargohold far exceeding what the lithus can hold in comparison. Container mining was risky though due to ore thieves.

Seems to me that alot of people here are using a problem with logistics mechanics to justify removing roaming mobs / having them not attack stationary players. Also we could use a few more options for tanking roaming mobs.

Just to clarify, I am all for the removal of superior observers from all alpha islands.

(pulled from closed topic in other subject)

Interior Alpha islands should have roaming Assault Observers that will not aggro stationary players

Outer Alpha islands should have both Assault and Mech observers that have the new AI

Beta should run the full spectrum from Assault, Mech, and Superior Observers with new AI

This balances the game board for new players to stay on inter Alpha until they are ready for the risk of observers with agro ability on stationary target.

Scyylla wrote:

The island types should have escalating difficulties.
They should also have escalating rewards to make it worth the extra effort (fitting to survive vs max yield)
     For miners this should mean better ore fields. Perhaps a slightly increased regen time.
     More difficult npcs for the pve group
     escalating the difficulty of observers -- assualt observer on alpha, grand mech observer on alpha2, rest on beta
** the following is a good one in my opinion*** side track yes, but it hit me while typing
Artifact scanning should be based on island level:
alpha islands- lvl 1 sites, small chance of a level 2 (maybe 10% chance to get a lvl 2)--25% cts only

alpha 2--- lvl2 sites, small chance of a level 3 site (10% chance)-- 25% and 50% cts only

beta--- the works excet for no lvl 1 sites, 50/50 mix of lvl 2 and lvl 3 sites, no 25% cts

Risk versus reward. This option allows for all play styles and gives the new players an escalation route in all indy/pve careers. It even stimulates some population on Beta.. Want to build a MK2 bot? The best chance you have of getting the ct will be Beta!

Love these scanning points also....+1

Why not just alpha starter islands?  What was the name of the griphon in eq1 that circled the common lands and killed all the newbies every 50 minutes or so?  See... I might not have enjoyed it at the time, but it was cool.  Protect the newbies.  Go ahead.  On Alpha 2's, let us be killed by killer bots.

Good to hear you will be replacing it with something else smile

Sundial wrote:
Wraithbane wrote:
Arga wrote:

o.O

Market analysis!

Do you not agree there should be varying levels of risk/reward?

If you do not, then you do not want game balance.

I wrote my complains from a perspective that AFK/Macro miners should not rule the markets for the lowest prices. Look at the price of liquizit for instance. Give miners who are more alert and is willing to take more risk more options, and keep those macroing/AFK miners on alpha 1 where they belong. I beleive if you are actively involved in your mining you should have higher returns / better options. AFK miners should NOT be on equal ground with legitimate miners.

I started these games with UO. Almost every time I hear the word "balance" it translates to something like Rock; "Nerf paper, sissors working as intended"... ^^  Or some version there of.  The ETERNAL quest for "balance" is an ever shifting illusion.

Its much like the DarkSide... Once you start down the NerfSide, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will... ^^  It usually ends up with something many call the Ghostcrawler Syndrome. Thats where the Dev's spend **WAY** too much time with spread sheets and data mining, rather than on what makes a game or a class *FUN* to play.  Huge amounts of Dev time and talent then gets chewed up by the literally endless nerf/buff cycle.  Its especially bad in PvP games.  But World of Warcraft, under the reign of error of Ghostcrawler has it even in PvE.

As I've always stated, if mining(ore or asteroid) wasn't so inherently, mind numbingly boring that most people have to do something else, while doing it, this wouldn't be a problem. For years, I've proposed making it a mini game (Like bejeweled perhaps) that would not only be entertaining, but would reward those who get more skilled at it. The idea of making it more "challenging" by having random NPC's roaming around and ganking miners, is both short sighted and lazy.

Short sighted, because a player driven economy NEEDS as many materials producers as possible. Lazy, because its a lot easier to just spawn some bots and have them roam around, rather than taking the time to design, code, test and apply a mini game approach. But the mini game approach would deal with the boring aspect as well as the AFK and botting problems.  But as with most such things, its all up to what the Devs decide to do, and what they have the time/talent to create.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

I honestly don't get what peoples beef is with afk mining. The only thing about mining that makes it "fun" is the social aspect of doing it in a group. So what if someone wants to go and mine semi-afk on alpha?

Arga's time vs. reward is VERY much an issue here, with risk vs reward as a secondary to that. How many hours of doing X should you have to do to get Y. In the case of an unfitted heavy mech, and a lower skilled person in a termis mining either to sell for nic to buy or mining to refine and produce, you're probaly somewhere in the 30-50 hours area... i.e full time job.

Now imagine this being a 8 months ago, and you got half as much ore per cycle. Imagine this 3 months ago and many ores stack sizes were MUCH higher. The devs have made two steps in the mining area alone to lessen the amount of time needed to build/replace.

That's always what I liked so much about mining, it's SAFE income. I can always count on being able to go mine to aquire the funds or materials to get the other things I want.

People who want risk vs. reward mining have the best option of all... epriton on beta. Don't go messing with my alpha islands.

AFK mining also becomes WAY less of an issue for people like me with only one monitor and no tv close by in a Riveler Mk2 considering the cargo is completely full in less then 3 minutes. Want an eve comparison? The Hulk (best mining ship) fills it's cargo in 15-17 minutes and can tank just about any belt spawn.

I'm hoping they fix industrial bots that're stationary no longer being targeted.

Sundial, Scyllla, Takeo

have you been out mining or doing anything on alpha since the patch? do you know what your are talking about?
something like AFK mining is not possible at all, as smokeyii already says. If you can do it, your probably cheating, using illegal macros.

Yesterdays chat ingame - while you all have been playing forum warriors - you could read often about ALPHA noobs beeing killed by a roaming caravan.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear