Topic: New devblog: The move to 3.0 shaders

DEV BoyC, the father of our graphic engine brings you good news about the close future:
http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … 0-shaders/

Re: New devblog: The move to 3.0 shaders

+1

Oh wait, it's not that kind of thread.

It's a very good move forward and anyone lost because of this can simple upgrade their hardware.
I've always liked "Light" clients that almost anyone can use (Perhaps limited to terminals only) but then again I am not sure there is time to develop such things.

The issue is cutting people off that have laptops and only log in to change production queues and things like that.
So as an issue to look at a reduced feature client allowing for the use of older technology would be awesome if possible.

In before the I am quitting the game becuase my graphics card is 6 years old posts start......:fuuu:

Good change in my opinion.

Please post it all over the place including the login if possible or make it pop up every once in a while when you log in so you can minimize the number of rage posts from the people who don't ever look at the forums or blogs.

Inappropriate signature.

the change will only affect a handful of players.

I'm no Pierre Deligne, but affecting a handful of players inside a player base that is already only a handful of players seems to be quite an illogical step in any game development process.

Thanks for the warning, though.  I play on my Asus gaming laptop.  Upgrading, for me, is not a matter of upgrading a video card.  It is a matter of buying a whole new system.  And while this new deveopment does not have any effect on my current system, perhaps another future one will.  At that time, I will have to weigh the options of buying a new laptop in order to play a game that has been bleeding players since I joined and implements new hardware contraints before adding content to attract new players. 

At this point, anything that is going to limit even 1 player is unwise and illogical.

Segreto wrote:

I'm no Pierre Deligne, but affecting a handful of players inside a player base that is already only a handful of players seems to be quite an illogical step in any game development process.

Thanks for the warning, though.  I play on my Asus gaming laptop.  Upgrading, for me, is not a matter of upgrading a video card.  It is a matter of buying a whole new system.  And while this new deveopment does not have any effect on my current system, perhaps another future one will.  At that time, I will have to weigh the options of buying a new laptop in order to play a game that has been bleeding players since I joined and implements new hardware contraints before adding content to attract new players. 

At this point, anything that is going to limit even 1 player is unwise and illogical.

This blog confirms they are more interested in the future player base than the present one. I don't think I would have any issue although at this point It would be more logical to concentrate work with game content, the graphics seems fine.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

This blog confirms they are more interested in the future player base than the present one. I don't think I would have any issue although at this point It would be more logical to concentrate work with game content, the graphics seems fine.

This blog actually confirms that BoyC is still alive and doing his job of developing the engine, while the rest of us are working on the actual gameplay.

I just hope that that engine improvement will lead us to Walkers/Destroyers big_smile

However, can you add some list of supported videocards?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

However, can you add some list of supported videocards?

There is an update at the end of the blogpost which should make it pretty clear, but if you have more specific questions we'll be glad to answer of course.

Segreto wrote:

In all honestly the game is great and the community stinks.
The community was good and then as the good people (Who have lives, jobs and loved ones) started to leave the game due to boredom as the trolls crept back to their seat of power things only got worse.

I am very glad BoyC is still working hard to drag this game engine forward. He should be very proud of himself (As I believe he wrote most/all of it anyway) and any new features/upgrades are very welcome.

3.0 - Radeon R520 (X1300–X1950); Intel GMA 500, X3000 G965; GeForce 6+ series

Anything classed as a "Gaming Computer" should have a card capable of 3.0.
Anyone using a "Laptop" however is less likely to be supported.

Once again, Perpetuum-Lite would be a very good idea.

Nice guys, just make sure it performs well / has all the extra effects able to be disabled. Some of us as you know run many clients on one machine smile

Sounds very cool and I bet it will look even better.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Nice, new graphical options coming.

Good job mr BoyC.

Wohooo! dynamic lighting patch incomming big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Can't an ASUS even run DDO?

I understand poor, painfully so. But considering the speed of development as this isnt a multimillion dollar company screaming and whipping their programmers, I suspect the Asus will melt on its own power before your shaders go out of date.  Pardon my snarky.  In my current mood I could get way worse.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Land Snark

smile

I'm feeling so old when Im looking and all those 6+ series and all... will it work with GTX550TI ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce#Generations - "Launched in April 2004, the GeForce 6 (NV40) added Shader Model 3.0 support to the GeForce family"; anything including and below that should be supported.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Pro … enerations - "ATI's DirectX 9.0c series of graphics cards, with complete Shader Model 3.0 support."; anything including and below that should be supported.

Hope that clears it up.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Am I the only one who finds it funny when people whine about something being implemented which requires hardware that is about 8 years old?

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

18 (edited by Egil 2011-10-14 11:28:48)

Sid from mining wrote:

Am I the only one who finds it funny when people whine about something being implemented which requires hardware that is about 8 years old?

I'm a bit worried about Arc X. I hear his computer is around 10 years old. lol

edit: oh ***, I just remembered I'm on a laptop. Need to check my hardware. yikes

Sid from mining wrote:

If you are going to take your time in order to reply to a post, perhaps you should take the time to actually read the post.

No one whined about having to upgrade any hardware.  In fact, if you read any of the posts who disagree with the implementation,  they say quite the opposite.  The problem here is that the production of this game is going in a direction that would limit some of the current players, and that is a very bad thing at this time. 

Let me put the argument this way:  If you have 5 people on a playground, you cannot have a proper baseball game.  Sure, you can toss the ball around and perhaps even field a few hits; however, it is not a real baseball game.  During your toss around, you do not come out and say "ok, sorry guys, but we are not going to let anyone under 5'10 play."   If you want to have a proper game, you do not limit the player base before you have an adequate number of players. 

To connect this analogy for you:  In Perpetuum we currently have a very low player base.  PVP is not happening properly, the market is not functioning properly, and things are only getting worse.  To come out and say

is going to limit the player base even more.  If you read my original post, it is not about the question of upgrading, it is about the question of why would Perpetuum in its present state want to limit any players from playing right now -- players that are already playing.

And, to add to this, a handful of players in a game like Perpetuum might equate to several accounts, since many players play multiple accounts and roles. 

I don't know how anything was percieved as a whine about hardware upgrades or the Asus in particular, but nothing here was stated as such.

I don't think the argument is that difficult to understand -- Why would you implement anything that would affect a handful of players when we don't have enough players right now?

As for  me, just so we don't get confused again, my laptop has a  Nvidia GTX 560M, which will suffice for this and many more graphic changes or additions; however, if Perpetuum is lacking a player base when I do need an upgrade in order to play, I most likely would just stop playing, as would anyone else who value their time and their money.

well, it also says first batch will improve the memory usage of the game, which nullifies the concerns of multiboxers.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Just because the player base is small and this will effect at least one person does not mean this shouldn't be done.
To get more people playing will require a more efficient, developed and progressive game.

The upgrade from shaders 2.0 to 3.0 is unavoidable. If I was Avatar Creations I'd rather do the "Player losing" stuff before there are players to lose!

Fact: They've lost MORE players to lack of progression than they will do when they continue progressing.

Incorrect.  Graphic progression is not the same animal as feature implementation.  I cannot recall one person saying they were going to leave because  of shader 2.0.   But, I can look through the forums now and see disatifaction with the present features, none of which include any graphics complaints.

I want the game to succeed, and I don't want the development process to exclude anyone from the already fragile player base.  Coming from a large corp, I see the player base problems first hand.  If one person from my corp, or any corp for that matter, cannot play on their present system bacause of this 'progression' I could not fault them for not bothering to upgrade to return.  And that is a huge problem for a game where one player most likely will have an effect on other players. 

I guess it boils down to what is more important:  keeping every player and trying to expand the player base by increasing features, or implementing a new shader model and losing players.

I think that is the question the developers of this game need to ask, and the devopers of Star Wars Galaxies and The Matrix Online should have asked.  And I know it is the question that the developers of every MMO that is still going strong have asked.

If the game wants to live, it needs to keep everyone playing.  I wish it was at a point where I logged in and saw 50 players from my corp online and hundreds of players in gen chat saying gf to each other, but it is not that way now.  Perhaps there will come a day when it is time to upgrade the graphics engine and perhaps force some players to upgrade their machines, but it is not this day.

really, i do not understand the ruckus - its not like they are moving to DX10 only game, which would kick everyone with winXP out.

its not like they are implementing PhysX, which always caused many complaints by ATI-lovers because they could not use it.

its not like you could play this game from a netbook anyway.

24 (edited by Adriana Evernigh 2011-10-21 11:04:28)

Segreto have you even though that improving the shaders is what is going to allow them to impliment all these new features and stuff that it needs to be done so these features are at their very best.

Thanks to DEVs btw, with this thread I've suddenly realizd that my comp hardly needs an upgrade big_smile