Topic: 2011-10-07 patch preview

• New NPC AI - basically a rewrite, so we can have different behaviours for specific NPC types in the future. Also they'll have an accumulator now, so you will be able to drain and neut them to oblivion.

• New level 2 assignments, based on current level 1 features.

• Corporation production monitor and logging - those with the proper roles will be able to see the progress of production jobs put up in the name of the corporation.

• "Landmarks sorting freeze on mouseover" option.

• Lots of fixes, if you followed my posts you'll know.

• The usual balancing stuff.

Re: 2011-10-07 patch preview

o.O  Accumulators!

Finally a reason to produce and sell neut/drainer for PVE players! As well as a chance to practice/test fits. That and the ability to possibly tank npcs, as well limiting ECM which I assume they will start using again with new AI.

I like the sound of Accumulators but I fear that either it's a very simple system where it's made for only neuts and drains or we'll see a LOT of NPCs running around out of AP being laughed at and NPCing because rather lame.

I like the sound of this patch and could mean we see shielded NPCs which would be amazing.

Sadly I can also expect a lot of whining that this isn't really giving people much reason to play and those still here probably don't honestly care if an NPC has a brain or not. It's all great for progress but I really hope we see some deeper content as well as awesome changes.

tongue

4 (edited by Celebro 2011-10-06 23:09:42)

Dev Zoom,

New NPC AI sounds good, though; if you keep adding new stuff not mentioned in any of your earlier blogs and keeping making new features out of the blue you will never get through the old ones, just saying. You know, the ones that make the game a actuall full game.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro,

These aren't really such big features that would be worth a blogpost. In fact this patch in mainly to fix the reload bug, and while we're at it we are deploying some small stuff that we've been working on beside what we have announced on the blog. (Sadly it's physically impossible for all of us to to work on intrusion 2.0 at the same time.)

Please don't think for one minute that we are only working on what we have already mentioned. The blog contains only those which got in a state where it made sense to announce them (except for the future visions of course).

DEV Zoom wrote:

Please don't think for one minute that we are only working on what we have already mentioned. The blog contains only those which got in a state where it made sense to announce them (except for the future visions of course).

I really Appreciate your reply I understand you cannot work on 1 feature at a time and I have no doubt you are all working hard. What I don't understand is the reasons to hold back information of features not mentioned to us.

Would this not motivate players to stay active?

Why do some features make sense to announce and not others, do you care to elaborate?

You have the right to hold back information of course, but there is a lack of communication imo.

RIP PERPETUUM

7 (edited by Annihilator 2011-10-06 23:45:55)

hope the new AI works.

especially i hope that observer get an overhaul after this patch -> my topic in balancing.

beeing able to drain npcs empty, preventing them from using their weapons and ECM sounds nice. now the lone miner just need to figure out how to drain the attacking npcs empty before they use their equip.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Celeb and I were just starting to work on that smile Glad to know that we can now test it without getting blowed up for flagging on alpha!

Arga wrote:

Celeb and I were just starting to work on that smile Glad to know that we can now test it without getting blowed up for flagging on alpha!

oh yeah, that could work pretty well smile

Well enough venting for today, now I can sleep like a baby cool

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

What I don't understand is the reasons to hold back information of features not mentioned to us.

Would this not motivate players to stay active?

Why do some features make sense to announce and not others, do you care to elaborate?

Sure, it can have multiple reasons.

1. Simply not being ready enough. If you announce a concept that you well know is unfinished and bleeding all over, players will likely point out its flaws (that you know too) and dislike it before it could mature, even if you tell them this is only a very early concept. Yes, players can be helpful in finding flaws too, but that only makes sense when we can't find anymore ourselves.

2. Project management reasons. If we would tell you everything right now, you would start demanding that we deploy *random feature that you like the most on the list* in the next patch. Or demand that we tell you a date for a feature that only exists in a concept document yet. Or demand a new blogpost despite we already told you everything 3 months ago. And so on big_smile

3. Marketing reasons. The element of surprise is still a very useful asset (with the right timing, of course).

Disclaimer: no offence intended of course, I speak from my own experiences.

I demand more blog posts just on general principal, you could probably repost the last one and I may not notice though. smile

I do have to agree with the suprise part though, seeing something unexpected in the patches makes it interesting.

Wake up, ictus and troyar pilots, you're becoming useful in pve big_smile Nice things, can't wait to test new AI.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

The new AI sounds good, making them chose between what modules they cycle for the newly gained accumulator big_smile
Or is that feature still not in the new AI wink

We were just talking the other day that EW units had no purpose, and were worthless as a single unit in attacks. Now with the possibility to drain enemys before attacking, and jamming them in different ways, even a pair of EM's can do work on bots who have little or no power. That might make owning an EW unit something to try.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2011-10-07

Hmm i like most of it...but the HP increase of NPC-Mechs not only would have meant less plasma (what you covered) but also a 20%/25% reduction in droprates of anything else they drop: Modules, Ammo, the occasional Tx Item and most importantly...Kernels!

Now if the random spawns would have been "fixed" i wouldn't have said a word but there is no mention of that in the patchnotes, so why deliver yet another kernel nerf?

ZUBO wrote:

Hmm i like most of it...but the HP increase of NPC-Mechs not only would have meant less plasma (what you covered) but also a 20%/25% reduction in droprates of anything else they drop: Modules, Ammo, the occasional Tx Item and most importantly...Kernels!

Now if the random spawns would have been "fixed" i wouldn't have said a word but there is no mention of that in the patchnotes, so why deliver yet another kernel nerf?

/me scratches his head

I did not see the word kernel anywhere in the patch notes..........

Just because a HP boost is put in doesn't mean that drop rates are reduced. Put on your big boy pants, man up and realize the Devs don't want you one shotting npc mechs. Oh noes!!!!  NPC farming has been too easy and will probably still be too easy. The dynamic spawns are just a small part of the fix for this. While I generally don't like seeing npc mechs go pop and then being replaced with tier 1 light bots it is a reality that I accept and grind through.

Inappropriate signature.

18 (edited by ZUBO 2011-10-07 14:56:42)

What i mean is that it takes longer to kill the NPCs. The Devs know that this is basically a Nerf to your income, so they increased the plasma for these bots to compensate(even overcompensated by considering plates). They have not increased everything else though so the effective Drop-Rate of (H-)Mech kernels are reduced(less in the same time interval as before). Mech kernels should have been increased to 60%, H-Mech to 62.5% to compensate (not considering plates) to yield the same amount of kernels per time as before.

This does by no means mean that it is difficult to farm them...its just VERY boring to do so for so many hours and days even(of playtime).

I don't mind to put some work into it as well but in my mind it was already difficult enough with the static spawns, random spawns made it even worse and now this. What i want to know is if the system was regarded as too easy? Maybe the game becomes just too grindcore for me sad

19 (edited by Alexandra 2011-10-07 14:59:39)

Change: Increased the amount of plasma in combat mech and heavy mech NPC loot due to hitpoint increase.

Change: Increased the amount of plasma in the loot of NPCs which have armor plates equipped (in addition to the mech's increase above).

Proposed Change: Kernel drop chance increase on armoured NPCs

I AM NOT A GM™

20 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-07 17:19:36)

Good changes, although it essentially is a 20% nerf to mech kernels/drop rates even before the plasma bonus plated mechs get (which does not change kernel drops either)

As for ECCMs, there should be some other drawback to using them to bring them in line with their new strength, like a much higher CPU fitting requirement.

I am a Kain pilot and I have not tested out my speed yet, but the changes were probobly needed as long as it is a minor adjustment after LWF.

Overall good changes Devs, keep it up.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Increased hit size for plates are going to make the NPC assaults easier to farm with medium weapons.

Ok, so they took a sideways method to reduce the kernel drop rate again. Is this really a surprise?

The increase in NIC was to compensate the players that are ratting for income, so yes the nerf is aimed directly at corps trying to get the tech tree done.

Here is the conundrum. As player extensions get higher they are significantly better at farming.

Imagine at the 3 month mark how difficult it was for large groups to kill the 5th star NPC's on beta. Now at 12 months a single player can solo (or duo) them.

The only reason corps were able to complete t4 tree earlier was their population. M2S had a whole alliance of 400 or 500 players feeding 1-2 accounts kernels, and were farming non-stop.

If 400 EA accounts were farming for kernels now, they too could provide enough kernels to 1 account to finish the tech tree in 1 month.

tl;dr - Without adding another 'tier' of research, devs have no choice but to continue to nerf kernels aquisition. This probably won't be the last one either.

If they really want to make kernels/technology more dynamic to relegate the influx of combat player's EP over time, they should just alter the research system in itself. Instead of making the acquisition of technology a grind through combat, it should be the research in itself that takes time. This will make combat EP less a part in something to do with research and make it more relient on the researchers which makes more sense I think.

This could be done by dropping data kernels with specific tech in them that you research over time. For example, you could find a kernel with the tech to making a T1 miner and it would take X amount of time to complete, based off a subset of skills or just the research skill in itself. You could also limit the tech tree so that people can't skip tiers either, so to say, if you have a T3 miner kernel, you can't research it until you've done research on the T1 and T2 kernels for the miner. This would prevent the need to constantly tweak drop rates because of the ease in which combat players can acquire them which puts a strain on researchers and newer corps and players that won't be able to keep up or acquire at the same time as vets.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I don't think those specific suggestions would be viable without changing the entire system, but maybe that is what is needed anyway. The key point you hit on here is that a exclusively industrial item is directly dependant on combat. They recognized this and corrected part of it by adding in plasma and reducing the sell/research issue early on. Then again, at the top end of the chain Industry produced modules connect directly back to combat to complete the circle. So maybe its not unbalanced to require combat for research since combat requires player made modules from them.

The more kernels combat players provide, the better tech they can get back, and the more kernels they can provide.

The only thing missing are the volumes of combat PVE troops out there farming on beta.

Arga wrote:

The only thing missing are the volumes of combat PVE troops out there farming on beta.

true, and the reason is not a to low reward for doing so, but more or less the lack of reason to risk so much as your single mech you have to a random roaming PvP group.

Sparks unlocked by higher standing is going to be a short termed reason to go PvEing on beta soon - but once you hit 6.01 standing, there is no reason to continue.

Sandbox means, there is no defenitive given goal by the game itself, like a storyline with a final boss.

goals that player have set since release:
- reaching tech4 (PvE)
- destroying another player corp by real combat, not metagaming (PvP)
- claiming all existing outposts (PvP)
- spamming forums until banned (PvD)
- starting balancing topics until DEV Alf changes something (PvD)

all those goals are reachable in a rather short time - and after that, what you do? getting bored as there is no need to "defend" your archievement.

- tech 4 reached, lasts until something new is added (needs DEV-team)
- destroying another corp leads to frustration and when its done, theres nothing left to do
- if you have been able to claim all outposts, youre corp probably has already discouraged all others to go against you, so its a permanent state
- bann = end
- well... even if he changes something, you wont be happy with the result wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

25 (edited by Arga 2011-10-07 22:04:52)

Sparks unlocked by higher standing is going to be a short termed reason to go PvEing on beta soon - but once you hit 6.01 standing, there is no reason to continue.

It still 'feels' like we are all still waiting to see what happens with Int 2.0 and the associated outpost changes.

Living and working on Beta means things like farming, mining, and assignments are right there for all members to work on. Being all PVE related, many players hate having thier PVE interrupted by PVP, but really that's just they way this games works. This really doesn't even have anything to do with intrusions either. Corp X can currently live and work out of an outpost they don't own without having to worry about supporting intrusions.

BUT no one wants to get caught with 10000u of material in an outpost that suddenly gets locked with the 2.0 changes.... so the waiting game continues.

Edit: Btw, how's the new GUI button working!