Topic: Camera options

This thread is to summarize proposed camera features. Most of these features are probably best left under an option, to keep the UI clutter-free by default.

- focus camera on selected player/NPC/structure
- free-look camera (alternative on rotating around an object)
- adjustable zoom & field of view (FOV)
  - display number of degrees of FOV when using this option
- release camera (allows you to 'drop' the camera on the terrain)
- movable free-look camera (this would be the grand cru of camera options)

Obviously, locking/zooming the camera to an object or a position should have a limited range, perhaps also hiding the UI while using the feature, to prevent circumventing detection ranges.

To address the DEV's more directly; don't hold back features because of usability. These features are intended to make video footage and such. Power users never mind to type a few things in a console.

Re: Camera options

The problem with "Look at Target" options is that they'll change the way combat and intelligence is gathered. For every reason that I like this option I also dislike.

However did you know that the client is able to record all of a sessions data? And that it can be played back using the client later with the ability to fly the camera wherever you want?

The above WAS true during beta as the devs made many videos with it however the feature was never completed for personal use and we only got to hear tales of it being used.

Oh how I would love to have that. To be able to record everything you see or saw and then to play it back later after a fight. Who needs fraps when you can make your own MOVIE.

This would also be a good selling point of the game..

Alex sadly that feature is an ugly hack we used to trick the client into thinking it's communicating with the server. To make that feature viable for regular use we'd need to redesign the whole client around it which won't happen as it's just too much work for a non strictly gameplay related feature.

Alexander wrote:

The problem with "Look at Target" options is that they'll change the way combat and intelligence is gathered. For every reason that I like this option I also dislike.

Yup, which is why I was saying the range should be limited, nothing that defeats detection (radar) range.

Gargaj confirmed most of this is in fact in there, but not available for the clients you and I have installed. Still, unlocking the camera from rotating around your own robot (e.g. freelook like in a FPS) doesn't screw up anyone's game, in my opinion.

You wouldn't be able to see outside your robots range anyways as that information is simply not available to the client. We'll look into how this would affect the game and if it's nothing major we can enable it.

+1 for more camera freedom, will improve the movie making quality if not actually make combat better.

The new console command 'setcameramode' will be included in the next update.

Awesome smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

This will enable remote detail gathering! yikes

I am going to be in your cereal, watch your masterbate!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

DEV BoyC wrote:

You wouldn't be able to see outside your robots range anyways as that information is simply not available to the client. We'll look into how this would affect the game and if it's nothing major we can enable it.

a Look at feature would be good :-) or some optical enhancing module.

but the game interface is lacking much more basic things that this is not that impotant.

DEV BoyC wrote:

will it enable the free camera that you have on DEV client?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
DEV BoyC wrote:

Yes it enables the two options that are available in the dev client.

14 (edited by Alexander 2011-09-14 13:36:39)

-- Whoops --

DEV BoyC wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Yes it enables the two options that are available in the dev client.

hmm, ok, good and bad that detection got nerfed sad

bad:
with the old detector, this would have been handy to record outpost battles from a remote place, but now, thats not possible anymore sad

good:
it means i can place my bot far away from a teleporter, but place the camare right ontop of it. AFAIK stereo sound is based on camera not robot position, and you can actually see which weapons are fitted (at least hint). so teleport scouts get much more information with unlimited free camera.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I have a camera option to ask for...first person, I want to sit in my bot and watch the things go by. I already know what weapons are on it, I put them there, so let me feel like I'm piloting it in battle or even harvesting things. I realize this isn't going to happen, I made this request on Eve for years too..lol

Sam Silarn wrote:

I want to sit in my bot

You are not sitting in your bot. And spark is too sparkly for 1st person view big_smile