Re: Remove the Navigation skill

Here talk about nothing.

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

Nav 10 dont need any situation, if you are in a team that dont the "most of" i used nav 8 in the begin 4-5 mounth, but I could do 10 i had EP for that, but really didnt needed, because we work in team. And some other situation you dont need nav 10 and you can save many EP. So thats extension i think viable not like other skills but is.

I prefer Campana idea about speed buff from accumulator, with cooldowns or anything. We should be talking about that not navigation delete.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Arguments against removing Navigation are:

1. Removes complexity from the game

2. Starts a cycle of constantly increasing robot speeds and removing other mechanics

3. Grumpy old players not wanting to lose an EP advantage because they have no skill

Some of the above points are valid but on the whole if navigation was removed and then at a later date a new speed system based on Anni's idea would be great.

Thus ends this thread. No more arguments found.

suDndEth wrote:

Eh i guess you are talking to the wrong ppl, the exact things i say to new players are get it to 7 or 8 asap, then get it to 10 later when your other skills are semi there. Honestly i found basic robotics 6 was more important than nav 10 to start with. That right there made my life a hell of a lot easier than my nav skill to start with. I could kill things decently fast as a newb cause of it and it increased my survivability. Also usually say some fitting skills so you can fit an assault fully instead of not being able to fit the 5 weapons its suppose to have.

your just proving my point. lets say a new player gets nav to 7-8 then spend the rest of his skill points into damage, fitting w/e. now he and his other corp mates go out and feel like pvping, he may do nice damage and be able to fully fit there bot out BUT if your roaming and trying to keep as fast as possible the people with nav 10 will be flying in comparison to the nav 8 players, and beleive me having nav 8 trying to keep with people with nav 10 is not fun ( especially when your in a green bot....). Not to mention if you run into any opponants with nav 10 that knows the slightest *** about what there doing your going to burn.

on another note i see some nice synergy between the burst speed up leg slot idea and the mechanics that Annihilator posted

56 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-09-09 22:31:36)

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

This guy actully has a point...when a skill is the first thing you take to lvl 10...its kinda broke.

So if you train Data processing to 10 first it's kinda broken?
And if you train Reactor expansion to 10 first it's kinda broken?

Sorry, it's says nothing about the balance of an extension, when it is your first level 10 extension wink.

Btw, my main has Nav 8 only and my alt Nav 9. Both do fine and I see no reason, why I should spend 7550 (or more) EP the next time to get 5% more spreed which I don't need.

I even did some PvP with my main who just has Nav 8 and I didn't do to bad smile.

PS: yes, I hear the shouts "but but you NEED Nav 10 !!!!111eleven" ... no, you don't need it!
It's like all level 10s a spezialisation for those who want it. Other can make much better use of this EP in other extensions.
Why should my Producer, Miner or Suporter (ak Nexus Slave) want Nav 10? He he has much more use with Basic Squad Management 10.

Alexander wrote:

Arguments against removing Navigation are:

1. Removes complexity from the game

2. Starts a cycle of constantly increasing robot speeds and removing other mechanics

3. Grumpy old players not wanting to lose an EP advantage because they have no skill

Some of the above points are valid but on the whole if navigation was removed and then at a later date a new speed system based on Anni's idea would be great.

Thus ends this thread. No more arguments found.

Wait wait wait. How does removing Nav remove complexity. Nav is a "you will do everything better because it takes you less time" skill. That's not complex, that's obvious. Complex is a tradeoff between equally viable options.

Is there a situation where the player would want to be slower? No? Ok!

Now, sure, there's an opportunity cost for investing in Nav. You could be spending that EP elsewhere. BUT here's the thing. There's no other skill that is as uniquely cross profession as Nav. Even someone who does nothing other than trade gets an advantage out of being able to walk from A to B faster, as they can't do remote station trading.

Simple as that. Moving faster is always better. There might be things you need more than nav 10, but there's nothing you need more than, say, nav 4.

You don't need Nav 10, your bot still rolls forward with Nav 1.

You don't need Adv Robotics 10, you can undock with Adv Robotics 1.

You don't need extension higher then X, because the prerequiste is Y.

Arga wrote:

Well for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Bears like yourself who cares about going fast.

I'm kinda shocked that not everyone is jumping onboard with this...as after all its "free" EP anyway for all.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

60 (edited by Celebro 2011-09-11 00:37:51)

Ok so there is a choice to leave NAV at 1 upto 10, but who wants too leave it low?

If I was forced to cross a desert and they offer me to take water or food, would be wise to take water, why offer a food choice and I would certainly want Nav 10 anyways. Take the nav skill off please, making an obvious choice is not a choice anymore.

RIP PERPETUUM

Hunter wrote:

Here talk about nothing.

Go on please

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:
Arga wrote:

Well for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Bears like yourself who cares about going fast.

I'm kinda shocked that not everyone is jumping onboard with this...as after all its "free" EP anyway for all.

I suggested removal of the Nav skill 4 months ago. Carebears that aren't getting nav to 10 are just hurting themselves. In a game where time is so important, wasting a few seconds here and there add up over the course of months.

Remove nav and you just make range that much more important

suDndEth wrote:

Remove nav and you just make range that much more important

Everything will either be the same speed or faster. How does this effect range at all?
Misinformed?

Someone is misinforming the misinformation

Just Sayin

Navigation is an important skill to train. Just because many people feel it could be removed from the game and it will balance everyone down to slower speeds does not justify removing it from the game. All of my accounts have Nav 10, pvp and miner alike. If Nav gets removed from the game it will hurt the game not improve it.

There are a whole host of skills that are not in the game that would benefit the game such as:
Skill to enhance signal detection: (with out detector module)
Skill to enhance masking: (with out masker module)
Skill to carry more cargo: (we have skills to increase number of locked targets, armor amount, reactor capacity and accumulator capacity why not cargo capacity)

More depth and complexity please not less…

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

The thread is about removing the Nav skill and raising the base speeds of bots, not slowing everyone down.

Having mandatory skills does not raise the complexity of the game. The only real discussion point in the thread is if Naviagation is a 'mandatory' extension. And honestly the arguements against that are weak at best.

Arga wrote:

The thread is about removing the Nav skill and raising the base speeds of bots, not slowing everyone down.

Having mandatory skills does not raise the complexity of the game. The only real discussion point in the thread is if Naviagation is a 'mandatory' extension. And honestly the arguements against that are weak at best.

well the way I see it is when a extension becomes the rule its not a specialization.....

how ever if you choose Logistics doesn't NAV 10 cost like 20K versus combat only needing to spend 14K?

I support the removal of Nav 10 and increase bot overall base speed smile

I think both removing it and keeping it has it's benefits.

But Personally I am for keeping the navigation skill. The Navigation skill is one of the main things that stops new players from immediately getting on to the field. And if a new player or a player without Navigation level 10 does go onto a pvp field, their disadvantage shows and should encourage them to get it up.

Like I said before, There are pro's and Con's to keeping it and removing it, but that is just my personal opinion.

I don't think that navigation is the problem, the problem is that the most effective way of combat is kiting and that requires high speeds to do or to counter. Once this is solved and there are more viable options for effective combat then navigation will become a flavour if you want that type of combat but it wouldn't be mandatory to get.

Speed is never a disadvantage. Using LWF's are, but there is no penalties or downsides to having Nav 10.

The negative or downside to navigation 10 is it require time investment just like everything else.
It's not direct penalty but it is an opportunity cost.

74 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-21 21:59:32)

My opinion is do A or B:

A. Make highways systems all interconnect and be far more extensive, covering all common routes between islands / outposts etc and leave Nav in the game. Have a travelling system like in stEVE, where you can automatically send your bot to a location.
B. Remove Nav from the game, buff all base speeds by the same as Nav 10.

IMO the right and better choice is A.

Fix A, and Navigation won't be such a blaring problem as it is now. Its only 12K for a combat toon and close to 20K for an industrial.

If travelling around Nia was better, Nav 10 would not be such a requirement for PvE (although still very important for PvP, but less game breaking)

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Ydyp Ieva wrote:

I don't think that navigation is the problem, the problem is that the most effective way of combat is kiting and that requires high speeds to do or to counter. Once this is solved and there are more viable options for effective combat then navigation will become a flavour if you want that type of combat but it wouldn't be mandatory to get.

why do you think we have terrain? to Kite and avoid in coming damage. kiting will never be fixed because is not a problem its a tactic. There are ways to counter this tactic such as the long range Demob and ECM. Many battles are won by maneuvering and superior tactics other than speed. its situational, though many (i will agree) when out numbered or out flanked many will kite or kite just to get easy kills. But kiting is not the problem either.

I think the main problem with PVP is people QQ when they lose. . or do not understand how to counter a specific tactic.

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~