Topic: I noticed this bit of information on the main site

Persistent sandbox universe
Every player is part of one server, one scene, one storyline.

Using the term universe a bit liberally no? It makes it sound awesome, but then something feels wrong, it's remembering that the game is only made up of a small collection of islands. Universe? No, not even world, not even continent, just a few islands.

And there lies perpetuums biggest pitfall. Give us a real game world to play in, please! Maybe the islands could be kept, they could even be considered beginner areas, but this game needs a fully explorable world, not just a group of small inslands.

2 (edited by Purgatory 2011-09-17 18:42:12)

Re: I noticed this bit of information on the main site

BTW, i would be happy to know that this world was even being worked on, as long as it's definetly coming in the future.

The line sounds suspiciously like it was ripped out of an EVE promo video.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I think it's based on the lore. We sit in some space station far far away from Nia, controlling the robots across the universe.

5 (edited by William Berger 2011-09-17 20:33:54)

Hi there.

I'm wondering why your saying this is a "sandbox".
This is real to me...seeing how I created the virus that made all this possible in the first place.

I will not rest until I destroy all the firewalls surrounding all of NIA.  For all mankind.

Perpetuum...My Creation

Your Welcome

Well, compared to something like, say, WoW, I'd say perp is pretty damn big.

20% cooler in 10 seconds flat!

7 (edited by Garak 2011-09-18 02:55:03)

island systems is like stellar systems, a nice transition to make bots world Eve-like
adding continents would make the game slightly different, might be too risky big_smile
and maybe engine can't handle them, but would be nice yeah

btw, what about more way to travels, more mech ?
planes ? i don't know if there are some rp who stop flying abilities, i don't think flying controllable bots would be playable and balanced, but were thinking about some drop zone system, a plane (or something else) pickup and drops bots at a location on the map or a transport & transport-launcher who is fast enough to carry other player-mech and launcher one can even throw them at a loc by drop system
but that would fit for larger maps

mortar-mech, in this game we have the ability to select tiles, what about a targeting laser mod used by a scout to lock a tile and a mortar mech in his group can see the lock on radar and AOE the place from very long range, probably the whole island would have to be in his range. For a moving target once fired it will boom the tile were the target was.
But might be hard for dev to make this work

more eve-like,
a stealth bot who can do scout duties like searching for mortar-mech location
a carrier mech who use lil' flying/walking bots

large mech/vehicules would need terrain designed for them for being able to move all around the map, some place they can't reach, littles can escape from them, continents would fit better.

@OP

Dont worry about that, Im sure that Pepetuum is expanding from the few islands. The Beta 2 island was the lastest addition of land mass we had for this game and not to mention the upcoming landmass they are adding which is gonna like 5-6 times bigger than the island we have atm.

Though its nice to vision the dev mapping the whole Nia in years to come smile

Purgatory wrote:

Persistent sandbox universe
Every player is part of one server, one scene, one storyline.

Using the term universe a bit liberally no? It makes it sound awesome, but then something feels wrong, it's remembering that the game is only made up of a small collection of islands. Universe? No, not even world, not even continent, just a few islands.

And there lies perpetuums biggest pitfall. Give us a real game world to play in, please! Maybe the islands could be kept, they could even be considered beginner areas, but this game needs a fully explorable world, not just a group of small inslands.

Well the story spans galaxies, so in a sense it is a universe. You cannot take it literaly. Even EVE is not a universe, just a bunch of stelar systems conected via jump gates.

Purgatory wrote:

Persistent sandbox universe...

Nitpicky!  Play the game already and stop worrying about it.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

omg, never seen a dumber question on this forums.

"universe" refers not to a stellar size,

it refers to "realm" or "fictional setting" the game plays in.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

omg, never seen a dumber question on this forums.

"universe" refers not to a stellar size,

it refers to "realm" or "fictional setting" the game plays in.

That's true anni big_smile. Does not hide the fact we need a much bigger realm so you could actually can get lost in it.

RIP PERPETUUM

i agree that it has to be bigger.

you know, those player focused on griefing and high-speed roams disagree, as they already have to move so much to find their targets.

there are those argumentations that "the expansion didnt bring more player online" - but hey, at the same time they have increased the landmass, they also introduced highways, made mobile teleporter usable and increased base speed of most robots.

traveling from tellesis terminal to shinjalar terminal (outer islands to other outer island on other side of the current worldmap) takes 15min in a sequer...

I really hope the release that 2x2 island soon, as testbed for 10x5 or 16x9 islands. IMHO to much time/effort is put into Terraforming islands, spreading ore deposits on them, and placing NPC spawns - things that shouldnt take to long IMHO, as that shouldnt be static at all.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

WTB bigger landmass, signed high speed roamer.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.