Topic: Railguns or coilguns (or EM vs. Gauss)?

Looking at the in-game descriptions, we're dealing with coilguns (e.g. a ferromagnetic projectile being pulled along a barrel with coils being turned on in sequence, or in Perpetuum's case, a single coil pushing the projectile away, given their descriptions). They are usually referred to as Gauss guns.

I'm just wondering, what's the difference between the EM-variety and the Gauss-variety? The range difference suggest the EM-variety might be a railgun, but that would contradict the descriptions for them.

Railguns generally involve two rails and a conductive slug (doesn't need to be ferromagnetic). A massive discharge of current on the rails, with the slug closing the circuit between the rails, will accelerate the slug along the rails according to the right-hand rule (magnetic fields, Lorentz force, and all that science). Because there's no magnetic saturation (which limits the speed a coilgun can accelerate a projectile to), the theoretical speed is extremely high (think 20+ km/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

Re: Railguns or coilguns (or EM vs. Gauss)?

as i had this discussions several times with the devs responsible:

1. EM guns = Railguns (even their internal token says railgun)

They are not called Railguns because of two reasons: EvE and Quake.
They are not called MAC because of... Halo

I don't know how often i tried to get them renamed, as "EM-Gun" is missing an important part: "accelerator". Im pretty sure new player mistake them for EM Radiation based guns (X-Ray cannon, EMP, whatever)

2. Gauss cannons = gauss cannons.

The only reason why they don't have two seperate visuals is the big effort necessary to create the meshes for each combination possibility mounting them (short arm mount, long arm mount, shoulder, shoulder extended, etc.) + textures and mesh memory usage.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I don't really see a problem with EM guns. Electro-magnetic gun is powered by a magnetic field created by an electric field (electric current). EMW gun as Electro-magnetic wave gun (:lol:) == lasers

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

+1 and make Long range and Short range guns have different skins.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr