Re: Observers

Scyylla wrote:
Robophiliac wrote:

As a mostly mining toon atm I very much against the ideas of more aggro toward miners/harvesters from Observers and Mobile NPC Spawns(MNS).

First off field containers would need to have their timers doubled.  MNS are slow as hell.  Yes that makes them very easy to run from if one is paying attention to their landmarks but you are going to lose you container waiting for them to move through an area so you can get back to it.

Next off be ready for ore prices to probably double if you increase aggro on miners.  If miners are getting blown up more you can be sure they are gonna charge more so they can keep replacing their bots/gear.  Plus a large number of players will simply opt to stay at the few spots per island that have no aggro moving through/near it.  These "safe" spots will remain even more perma drained than they are now and even less ore will be coming into the market because of it.

Requiring miners to have protection with them on alpha islands is not realistic.  Who wants to sit and watch a miner for hours on end so that 1-2 an hour they can pop a npc then go back to watching the pretty mining laser lights.  And with only 1 weapon slot it is not realistic to expect miners to be able to defend themselves.

I must disagree with you.

A PVE toon risks his bot and fittings every time he engages a spawn. The same should be expected of an indy toon. There should be risk associated with mining and harvesting just like there is risk in every profession in the game. Even straight manufacturing toons risk starting a production run and having someone else stock the market with the same item before the build is done.

We all have to take risks and I fully endorse aggro from wandering spawns and observers.

Scylla
Indy Toon

A PvE fit bot is ready and able to defend itself, that is the purpose of its fit. 

A producer can either under bid its competition or leave their products up at a slightly higher price till they sell.

My Riveler can not decide to fit 2 or 3 guns in place of mining lasers to be able to defend itself should it get aggro.  IF they add industrial slot weapons like was mentioned in a previous Dev Blog then maybe that would be an option.  But right now it is not and all it can do is run and pray aggro is lost and moves on in time to get back to the field container before all its work goes puff.

Robophiliac wrote:
Scyylla wrote:
Robophiliac wrote:

As a mostly mining toon atm I very much against the ideas of more aggro toward miners/harvesters from Observers and Mobile NPC Spawns(MNS).

First off field containers would need to have their timers doubled.  MNS are slow as hell.  Yes that makes them very easy to run from if one is paying attention to their landmarks but you are going to lose you container waiting for them to move through an area so you can get back to it.

Next off be ready for ore prices to probably double if you increase aggro on miners.  If miners are getting blown up more you can be sure they are gonna charge more so they can keep replacing their bots/gear.  Plus a large number of players will simply opt to stay at the few spots per island that have no aggro moving through/near it.  These "safe" spots will remain even more perma drained than they are now and even less ore will be coming into the market because of it.

Requiring miners to have protection with them on alpha islands is not realistic.  Who wants to sit and watch a miner for hours on end so that 1-2 an hour they can pop a npc then go back to watching the pretty mining laser lights.  And with only 1 weapon slot it is not realistic to expect miners to be able to defend themselves.

I must disagree with you.

A PVE toon risks his bot and fittings every time he engages a spawn. The same should be expected of an indy toon. There should be risk associated with mining and harvesting just like there is risk in every profession in the game. Even straight manufacturing toons risk starting a production run and having someone else stock the market with the same item before the build is done.

We all have to take risks and I fully endorse aggro from wandering spawns and observers.

Scylla
Indy Toon

A PvE fit bot is ready and able to defend itself, that is the purpose of its fit. 

A producer can either under bid its competition or leave their products up at a slightly higher price till they sell.

My Riveler can not decide to fit 2 or 3 guns in place of mining lasers to be able to defend itself should it get aggro.  IF they add industrial slot weapons like was mentioned in a previous Dev Blog then maybe that would be an option.  But right now it is not and all it can do is run and pray aggro is lost and moves on in time to get back to the field container before all its work goes puff.

A riveler can also fit one heck of a shield tank...... You can fit your bot to survive a random npc spawn. You just have to be willing to sacrifice some mining ability to do it. You can't have the cake and eat it too.

Field containers were recently changed so you have a very long range (never bothered to check the full distance) at which they will stay open thus stay refreshed. A few weeks ago the second you got over 100m away they closed. Not the case anymore.

The reality of it is, is that you should run the risk of losing your investment when you want to sit for hours on end in the same spot collecting a reward. I am happy to take that risk every time I mine or harvest.

Inappropriate signature.

The challenge for mining should not be combat based, not everything in the game needs risk vs reward, indy should be balanced with time vs reward.

That said, and I've made this clear before and I agree with Scyylla, there has to be a certain level of risk everytime you undock.

In the case of mining however, the reward of mining (alph mining) does not need to be balanced to the risks associated with PVE combat; that's too extreme.

The risk level for mining should be to prevent 'unattended' mining. A character that chooses to specialize in (alpha) mining shouldn't have to also fit for combat/defense. The example of putting a sheild on a miner is a perfect example. Ignoring the skill cost for the moment, the CPU requirements are right on the edge for fitting a riveler with lasers, tuninings, and acc rechargers. The sheild requires more than just a minor loss of yeild, as a shield only prevents bumps and scrapes without hardners. Because of CPU and Hardners, your talking about removing all Indy tuners.

I always like to turn these type of suggestions around, so we can view it from all points. Shield provide no value to a miner's main purpose, which is to increase ore/hour. If there was a change that required combat pilots to swap all thier weapon tuners out for indy tuners, would that be acceptable? As a combat pilot myself, I know that I would think that was a bad idea.

The only real defense miners have is to get out of harms way, or as Robo points out, to mine where there is no danger. Fully fitted Rivelers Nav 10 with t4 LWF move 67 Kph, and about -10 kph demobbed *s*. They simply can't escape without adequate time. And even with a sheild and hardners, the SO could demob and kill a riveler without suffcient warning.

Please note that all this applys only to alpha mining.

Some risk is acceptable, but mining is not a combat related activity, so does not need to be balanced with the reward. It takes time to mine, that is the investment for reward.

that you do not have any choice in fitting for defense is a completely other story.

i could fit my combat mech also with 5x T4 tuning, 6xT4 short range laser and 5x T4 recharger for maximum efficiency at what it does.

only difference is, that the resources shoot back if im to slow.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Arga wrote:

The challenge for mining should not be combat based, not everything in the game needs risk vs reward, indy should be balanced with time vs reward.

That said, and I've made this clear before and I agree with Scyylla, there has to be a certain level of risk everytime you undock.

In the case of mining however, the reward of mining (alph mining) does not need to be balanced to the risks associated with PVE combat; that's too extreme.

The risk level for mining should be to prevent 'unattended' mining. A character that chooses to specialize in (alpha) mining shouldn't have to also fit for combat/defense. The example of putting a sheild on a miner is a perfect example. Ignoring the skill cost for the moment, the CPU requirements are right on the edge for fitting a riveler with lasers, tuninings, and acc rechargers. The sheild requires more than just a minor loss of yeild, as a shield only prevents bumps and scrapes without hardners. Because of CPU and Hardners, your talking about removing all Indy tuners.

I always like to turn these type of suggestions around, so we can view it from all points. Shield provide no value to a miner's main purpose, which is to increase ore/hour. If there was a change that required combat pilots to swap all thier weapon tuners out for indy tuners, would that be acceptable? As a combat pilot myself, I know that I would think that was a bad idea.

The only real defense miners have is to get out of harms way, or as Robo points out, to mine where there is no danger. Fully fitted Rivelers Nav 10 with t4 LWF move 67 Kph, and about -10 kph demobbed *s*. They simply can't escape without adequate time. And even with a sheild and hardners, the SO could demob and kill a riveler without suffcient warning.

Please note that all this applys only to alpha mining.

Some risk is acceptable, but mining is not a combat related activity, so does not need to be balanced with the reward. It takes time to mine, that is the investment for reward.

I am glad that we agree that every time you undock risk should be involved however if random spawns don't target and attack miners when they stumble on them where is the risk? There should be a threat of being sent back to the station in a violent manner every time you undock not just when you are afk.

Currently miners do have the choice to fit a tank or fit for maximum yield. Just like a PVE bot has to fit based on the spawn they are going to kill. Many times this will involve removing tunings to add range. It may also involve removing rechargers or stabs for tank. Every situation is different but the PVE toon still has to choose between gimping range, speed, damage, recharge or tank. The PVE toon doesn't get the option to be able to do it all on their bot. By your example, removing the tunings on a bot to increase the range would reduce the efficiency of killing your spawn quickly and reduce the amount of your rewards. PVE bots have to make that choice all the time.

Miners (I am one of them) do invest time to mine their rewards however don't discount the time you and all the other PVE toons invest in farming spawns, scanning sites or running missions. Each of those actives has the risk of having your bot violenced and mining should have the same consequences in my opinion. 

Think about this one for a second:

Fit your PVE bot to infini-tank a spawn and just sit there.... Does your cargo fill up with modules, plasma and kernels?  Where is the reward for the time you spent sitting infini-tanking a spawn?

That is part of the problem with a time vs reward system. You can spend time doing any number of things and get no reward. Also, it seems that the devs in their infinite wisdom may have already done a time vs reward system. We now have isotopes that you can only get by mining. I know they nerfed the refining of mods and put this in it's place but it does make an excellent reward. Mine titan or Liquidzit and get EPI. The more time you invest in mining the more isotopes you will have!

Do I think that everytime you turn on a mining laser that a spawn should appear with bad intentions? No I don't. Random spawns causing the occassional wtfbbqpwnage of an indy bot is an acceptable consequence to undocking. It will discourage afk mining and encourage miners to be a bit more vigilant of their surroundings. We are on a hostile world aren't we?

Inappropriate signature.

31 (edited by Arga 2011-09-14 19:24:08)

comparing combat to mining is the proverbial apples to oranges.

The idea with turning it around is just to show that requiring miners to make 'radical' reductions to their primary function is an unacceptable tradeoff. Offense and defense are part of combat, I probably should have used the example of requiring combat pilots to equip chassis scanner and cargo scanners just to farm (non-missioning). They aren't totally useless, but 99% of the time you wouldn't use them while farming. Same with requiring miners to equip defense modules they wouldn't need 99% of the time they were mining, yet requiring the character to give up a large amount of yeild (or DPS).

The functional difference, is that while in combat, your actively doing that. That's why you are there. If you had to stop and mine 10U of ore with a small laser to get a spawn to reappear that wouldn't be acceptable.

edit: You is a general combat person, not You anni smile

Industry players simply have a lower threshold of risk. I've pointed this out in previous posts. You simply can't apply the same risk vs. reward equation to mining as you would to combat.

The crux of the matter is simply that while your in a combat bot, your choosing to put your equipment directly at risk, and your in direct control of the level of risk. If you over-extend combat bots have a greater capability to escape, but more than that they 'choose' thier battles.

Miners only viable defense has always been to simply run. The only balance i'm asking for is to ensure that miners are given ample opportunity to run.

33 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-09-14 19:39:01)

If the dev's wanted to prevent unattended mining, why not introduce systems that would require a miner to pay attention. Dropping observer patrols on a mining field is not very nice. Instead, why not have mining equipment randomly overheat and turn off so that the person has to actually make sure his systems are all running. Maybe damage the equipment, so over long enough time they have to go back to a terminal to repair their mining equipment. Maybe make charges weigh more? There are lots of possibilities to remove unattended mining, observers though seem to be a bit too extreme.

Edit:

As for risk vs reward, this is mining. Minerals are worth very little. You need multiple accounts to actually make a decent amount of money per hour. Or, you can mine Epi on beta for good returns, but that inherently has it's own risks. To be rewarded you don't have to always assituate destruction and loss with an activity. Putting time in to something is of notable value. There are other things a solo player can do to earn more money per hour, but hey, with more reward comes more risk, right? I kind of see mining on the lower rung of what you can do to earn NIC per hour.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Grim, my miner's cargo takes about 4 minutes to fill up, so it basically has the same effect of overheating and shutting down if I leave the keyboard for any length of time. smile

Sure, but that's pretty easy to overcome with a macro. I was under the assumption that was the reasoning behind the added risk to not paying attention. Macro mining is as simple as setting an interval to moving the stack to a can. But with module damage or modules randomly turning off, you can no longer macro.

Evil macros hmm

Part of the idea is adding risk to reduce afk, but its also about that small but consistent chance of danger. That is one of the elements that makes Minecraft so engrossing, the creepers don't come by that often during the day, but there's always that chance so you have to keep an eye out. If your out at night or in a cave you 'expect' to have to deal with much more danger, but you don't have to worry about that same level continually.

Having that little bit of spice, without too much heartburn , is the balance challenge.

Ok, then maybe random gas pockets explode while you mine? Nothing that will OMGWTFPWN you, but something that does a % of your health ( to help scale across bot sizes ). This too could add danger to mining. You could even make rarer minerals like Epi more volatile so that they do more damage if handled incorrectly. I dont know, I just think there are better ways of handling the adversity of minings rewards aside plopping down an observer that most combat pilots dont even like fighting.

Arga wrote:

Industry players simply have a lower threshold of risk. I've pointed this out in previous posts. You simply can't apply the same risk vs. reward equation to mining as you would to combat.

The crux of the matter is simply that while your in a combat bot, your choosing to put your equipment directly at risk, and your in direct control of the level of risk. If you over-extend combat bots have a greater capability to escape, but more than that they 'choose' thier battles.

Miners only viable defense has always been to simply run. The only balance i'm asking for is to ensure that miners are given ample opportunity to run.

Indy players do have a lower threshold of risk however the risk should still be present. I have yet to be forced to abandoned a can of ore. I have yet to have an observer of any breed spawn on top of me. I have yet to have a wandering hauler spawn appear on my radar while mining. At this point the only risk I am being exposed to is if I have a derp moment and pilot into a spawn....

When anyone undocks they choose to put their bot at risk regardless of whether they are an indy toon or combat toon. The levels of risk are very different based on the choices of the individuals activety. A combat pilot will always be exposed to more risk. It is the nature of combat. I think it is more then acceptable  to expose indy bots to the occassional violent interaction should they not pay attention to their surroundings.

It seems that the focus is on the ability of the slowest indy bot to get away from the fastest and one of the rarest npc spawns. Why not look at existing mechanics to find a solution to the problem:

MK2 bots----higher speeds when fit then a standard bot
T2 gear----generally a lighter weight which will increase speed
Nexus mods---- speed nexus ftw
Leave a fitting slot open
etc.....

It boils down to choices. If a miner is so worried about losing his bot to an extremely rare but fast npc spawn then the miner should fit his bot accordingly. I am personally worried about losing my mech to ewar spawns so when I choose to kill them I fit for range and gimp my damage a bit. It's all about finding a way to make it work and being willing to accept the consequences of doing it.

The way it is now you can't out run the fastest/rarest spawns in the slowest bot AND be the most efficient/highest yielding miner. You have to choose. Is your reward survival in the rare case of actually having one of these SO's appear on you or is your reward pillaging the most materials everytime you mine/harvest?

Inappropriate signature.

again, to put that into perspective.

Combat pilots now have to mine for 100k units each hour to get their spawn to reshow. Your choice is to fit a single small miner and waste 20 minutes, or add indy tuners and med miner to complete it in 5 mins. But that's ok, because its a fitting choice, you can't simply expect to sit and farm free spawns for hours on end. Sure it's going to make your farming experience terrible, but hey that's the price for farming.

Mixing combat and mining, regardless if your pouring combat into mining, or mining into combat, just makes a terrible cake.

If you've never seen the SO, then your not mining on Tellesis. It is not a 'rare' occurance, that bot is everywhere.

Also, please keep to the discussion, which is not out-running the observer, but getting adequate warning that combat is inevitable.

A few days ago a kain SO paid me a visit whilst I was mining in alpha with riveler mk2/lithus, I was not afk. Kain went straight to me. I kept still, he was moving so fast I had no chance of escape even with a speed of 62kph. Keeping still most surely saved my miner/hauler. The risk is too high if he was able to target me.

The problem is if they change this 'bug' there would be no other option but to runaway, and probably lose my most expensive bot with T3 fittings. I agree there should be risks but I would like more options than just run away or maybe a hell of a tank that would gimp my yield so much it would probably be better to mine on a termis with no tank as I would not mind losing it. This is probably the 5th time a get a visit from an observer whilst mining.

RIP PERPETUUM

Risk management is important for the players and for the devs.

Maybe make the miner immune to SO coming their way but fix the caravans? Because of their size, they are taking more time to move from place to place, making it possible for a miner to run away, while an afk miner will go boom.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Caravans are indeed no problem at all to get outta the way of.  They slowly creep along and give plenty of time to escape before entering aggro range.  I would not have a problem with them if they aggro'd anything that let them get close enough.

I would still like to see field container timers increased first especially because the caravans are SO slow.

Arga is right about the SO on Tellesis.  Not only is it everywhere, there are at least 2 of them and possibly a GO that roam separately.  I've seen both SOs walk by me at the same time going opposite directions.  Buffed up like they are right now, even spotting it at max range I really do not wanna bet my Riveler that I can get away from it in time.

Robophiliac wrote:

Caravans are indeed no problem at all to get outta the way of.  They slowly creep along and give plenty of time to escape before entering aggro range.  I would not have a problem with them if they aggro'd anything that let them get close enough.

I would still like to see field container timers increased first especially because the caravans are SO slow.

Arga is right about the SO on Tellesis.  Not only is it everywhere, there are at least 2 of them and possibly a GO that roam separately.  I've seen both SOs walk by me at the same time going opposite directions.  Buffed up like they are right now, even spotting it at max range I really do not wanna bet my Riveler that I can get away from it in time.

Yeah, I have the same opinion really... I don't mind roaming spawns etc since they have changed the container mechanics, but those SO's in tellesis are so damn fast... you literally have less than 10 or so seconds most of the time before they get in range to run at you. And just 300m under that they are demobbing and shooting. While my termis can match their speed (64), I have Nav 10 and a T4 LWF. Sometimes matching speed is not enough... Depending on terain you could get cut off and popped. I always am watching my landmarks while mining to... but it looks like we may need to start running detectors on alpha just to mine. I feel sorry for the people with only 1 account, having 80u detection hardly leaves any time to escape.

The only real solution I see is having a dedicated light bot draw agro and continuosly kite them away from the miners. I used to be able to kill those Kain SO with 3 or so people. Not anymore... fighting them with my current EP is not really an option.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I had a close encounter whit an SO on tellesis, we even gave him a nickname in our corp. That beast makes 11 minutes rounds around the island so setting up a timer can somewhat predict that he is comming. But we did loose a 50mill to him recently.
Its not fun to loose 50 mill in robots when you had no time to react and runaway. Its too hard and too repressive... change it somehow.

No doubt that you know a lots of psychiatrists - with such mental problems do you have, that's really necessary. However, you didn't answered my question.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

No doubt that you know a lots of psychiatrists - with such mental problems do you have, that's really necessary. However, you didn't answered my question.

Look at this Annihilator. Living proof of my words. This person is trying to challenge any of my opinions. Just out of principle.

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

Hunter wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

@Hunter - your in the position to talk about drama, if i count your last few drama topics...

Мои топики являются такой же драмой как и ваши.
Попытка доказать свое мнение - драма для этого форума.
Общение с троллями - нытье. и т. д.

My topics are the same drama as well as your own.
Trying to prove point of view - a drama for this forum.
Communication with the trolls - whining. etc.

added:

Здесь нет конструктивных бесед. Тут могут писать все. А это значит:
- не важно на сколько ты понимаешь игру.
- не важно какой у тебя опыт.
- не важно, какие твои аргументы.
- достаточно одного человека (который спорит с тобой из принципа) что бы превратить любую беседу в троллинг.

There is no constructive conversations. There can write all. This means:
- No matter how much you understand the game.
- No matter what your experience.
- No matter what your arguments.
- One person (who arguing with you on principle) is enough to turn any conversation into trolling (next post proove it).

Oh sorry i've "challenged" this your opinion - no doubt it was very important for the game improvement and all.

Line wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

@Hunter - your in the position to talk about drama, if i count your last few drama topics...

Мои топики являются такой же драмой как и ваши.
Попытка доказать свое мнение - драма для этого форума.
Общение с троллями - нытье. и т. д.

Oh sorry i've "challenged" this your opinion - no doubt it was very important for the game improvement and all.

ololo...

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

We seriously need some moderation of these forums.

/signed