Topic: Robot computer software

There are a few threads in the forum about various client side enhancements that could be solved with a simple robot software system.

Imagine software programs that enhance the robot UI as a part of the robot computer. You buy a stock robot, then you can buy software for it. This will be licensed per robot and destroyed on removal. Each bot class will have a few slots (memory banks) where you can upload these programs. They LOWER your total CPU available for modules (since they are using processor resources) and lower your accumulator recharge rate (the robots CPU has to work more). However this is only done when you actually activate the software (i.e. launch the program). If you don't have enough free CPU power or you are out of energy, they cannot be started (or stop running in case your accum drops to 0).

Now for the actual usage. These are CLIENT SIDE enhancements (they are based purely on client visible data) and as such will usually reduce the client performance (FPS being the most affected I guess). However they could provide mostly visual enhancements to the robot, some examples:

1. Highlight a specific item group on the ground. F.e plants of a specific type, specific robot type etc ...
2. Show the optimal ranges of active modules - kind of a tactical overlay
3. Show LOS on target
4. Provide night vision
5. More target information or scanner data enhancers ...

The possibilities are quite large. Basically these would be UI upgrades that the DEVs create and as such can be used as regular modules. They can be restricted to robot type or even specific robot (i.e. Zenith only). Or they can enhance the output of a specific module and are useless when the modules is not fited or inactive (artifact scaner triangulation interface, signal detector data enhancer ...).

Re: Robot computer software

+1

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

3 (edited by Arga 2011-09-13 20:19:07)

Those same functions can be accomplished with modules, why introduce a whole new software system?

Edit: Sorry, that came off a little blunt.

The module system currently in place can be used to implement those same ideas, putting in a whole new software mechanic would just be duplicating most of that functionality with little effect on game play. It also would require the development of a whole new profession, programmer, which sounds exciting but would dilute the production profession.

4 (edited by Paragon 2011-09-13 21:20:26)

Only if we can have "pirate" extensions that let us bypass the licensing restrictions and DRM. yarr

[edit: forgot obvious pirate smiley]

5 (edited by Alexadar 2011-09-13 21:02:45)

You described a modules.
There is no need to reinvent bicycle.

Alexadar wrote:

You described a modules.
There is no need to reinvent bicycle.

No I did not.

No module currently affects the UI. Also these are purely client based modifications. When the software is running, the only effect on server is CPU/Accum reduction. The whole processing is done by the game client with client data.

Arga: These are NOT player manufactured. They are Syndicate licensed technology if you like.

I like the idea, but I don't like "no player manufacture" as it doesn't create any market niche.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

The idea of effects on UI is good, however, I'm not sure why such a thing would have to be non-player produced and use a 'software system'.

Some of the ideas are nice, but im with everyone else, why re-invent the wheel?

Hugh Ruka wrote:

1. Highlight a specific item group on the ground. F.e plants of a specific type, specific robot type etc ...

This should be a built in feature of the client. It would be 'easy' to populate this data on to the radar as well.. (and by easy I of course mean not easy but should be as it makes it more useful)

Hugh Ruka wrote:

2. Show the optimal ranges of active modules - kind of a tactical overlay

This again should be built in to the client.. The 'best' solution would be to highlight the range as an overlay or on the ground when you hover over a module.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

3. Show LOS on target

This would work well as a module. You could easily have a zero damage very short cycle time (but long graphic time) gun (or gun like thing) that would do this job.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

4. Provide night vision

Until we actually have in game effects for day/night/fog/mist etc its kinda pointless, but again, a module would be good for this.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

5. More target information or scanner data enhancers ..

Depending on what is included this would work wither way..

In fact depending on what you want to do it might be appropriate to have a passive module with charges and have the charges effect what the module does.

10 (edited by xXPhantomFenix 2011-09-14 11:13:46)

This sounds interesting but its more of a "we got spare time, lets add this feature in" thing. Maybe once they get the environment and UI polished then something like this might be good. (Night vision, etc)

-PFenix

Edit: typo