Re: Perpetuum is on hold until Intrusion 2.0

Alexander wrote:
Lana Torrin wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

I'm just kinda logging in and goofing around on the weekends. During the week I do other ish. Luckily my crop of secondaries has been doing an excellent job without me. I'm seriously proud of that.

But if I2 comes out and is awesome and if we start to get some muscle and if the online numbers recover this game could be a lot more fun.

What do you mean if? This game is still a lot of fun and will only get better when other people realize this.

A lot of players are finding they're lacking content after the few 2 months now which is much faster than it used to happen.

The issue being once they're ready to leave the nest they keep getting pushed back into it. There are only so many times falling back and rethinking becomes an acceptable option and during each of these times players 'Disappear' to other places.

I can only speak for myself when I say right now in the game I an grinding relation standing as there is little else to do that is worth doing right now.

Having seen 4 players (All controlled by the same player) troll an entire outpost of people I can safely say there are some people out there that don't want to risk their robots (Too attached?) and it's really removing PVP enjoyment. I wonder if this is due to the fact that some people feel as if they have to work harder than others to achieve the same level as other players.

A group of very experienced and knowledgeable players will always be able to do something better and more efficient than a group of players still trying to find their feet.

It only takes around 5 capable players currently to put 15+ newer players or Weekend Warriors to shame.

Far be it for me to tell you guys how to play the game, but turning up for fights might help a little.. Its not going to take long before people realize 'the blob' doesn't work and is only there for show (although its a really good show) and some simple tactics can pull it apart.

Also I don't get being attached to your bot.. Its a symptom of people coming from other games I guess where either it takes a lot to rebuild after a loss or the concept of an actual loss is a new one.. Its not like assaults aren't expensive or hard to build and with the removal of epi from T1 gear you can build everything cheap for 'free' on alpha..

Alexander wrote:

The issue being once they're ready to leave the nest they keep getting pushed back into it.

What do you mean by this,  how are they being "pushed back into it" ?

If you mean that they are dying repeatedly, and running back to alpha.. well,.. its not gona help going back to the nest, they need to stay out of the nest and learn to adapt.  There is no experience to be gained in "the nest"

The blob absolutely works, and when manned by competent players will not easily be pulled apart. 

Blob is also a relative value.  I’m finding it a bit lame when newer Corps are getting roamed by heavy groups numbering in double digits.

Lana Torrin wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Lana Torrin wrote:

What do you mean if? This game is still a lot of fun and will only get better when other people realize this.

A lot of players are finding they're lacking content after the few 2 months now which is much faster than it used to happen.

The issue being once they're ready to leave the nest they keep getting pushed back into it. There are only so many times falling back and rethinking becomes an acceptable option and during each of these times players 'Disappear' to other places.

I can only speak for myself when I say right now in the game I an grinding relation standing as there is little else to do that is worth doing right now.

Having seen 4 players (All controlled by the same player) troll an entire outpost of people I can safely say there are some people out there that don't want to risk their robots (Too attached?) and it's really removing PVP enjoyment. I wonder if this is due to the fact that some people feel as if they have to work harder than others to achieve the same level as other players.

A group of very experienced and knowledgeable players will always be able to do something better and more efficient than a group of players still trying to find their feet.

It only takes around 5 capable players currently to put 15+ newer players or Weekend Warriors to shame.

Far be it for me to tell you guys how to play the game, but turning up for fights might help a little.. Its not going to take long before people realize 'the blob' doesn't work and is only there for show (although its a really good show) and some simple tactics can pull it apart.

Also I don't get being attached to your bot.. Its a symptom of people coming from other games I guess where either it takes a lot to rebuild after a loss or the concept of an actual loss is a new one.. Its not like assaults aren't expensive or hard to build and with the removal of epi from T1 gear you can build everything cheap for 'free' on alpha..

an effective assault is in the range of 2m NIC. I make that in one session. I get a session a day usual, sometimes less.

so if I lose a bot a day, it takes me another day or two to replace ... sounds like fun ?

80 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-12 16:22:43)

Vaelen Gar wrote:

The blob absolutely works, and when manned by competent players will not easily be pulled apart. 

Blob is also a relative value.  I’m finding it a bit lame when newer Corps are getting roamed by heavy groups numbering in double digits.

And these corps rarely roam without these huge numbers...

Talk about lame. Just sit under their outpost all day, then blob it up and go pick on the new guys.

Of course you have people who roam solo / in small groups now and then, you know who you are and much respect to you.

Also Valens castel is nasty big_smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

Also Valens castel is nasty big_smile

I have a lot of fun in that little badboy smile

Anyways, I'm not here to name names or call anyone out.  I've seen what I consider complete BS from every major Corp, and also gotten some very cool small scale stuff from just about all of them.  Everyone has to play their own game, but I think most will agree that grinding new corps like Nex, Foom, or FC out of the game just to get some quick cheap kills is a bit short sighted. 

Give them some good small light/assault fights.  Tone down the fits a bit, and if they do win so what?  If you get run over by another large roaming group, again, so what?  I have permanent treadmarks on me I've been run over so many times, but I bet I've also had more great 1v1's then most people on the server in the past month.

By the way Sundial, after my last fantastic 1v1 with Xelobain, you can let him know that he now completely scares me.....

Yeah the smaller corps in game should be met with equal force response. This is something I try to implement, but then I'm not in control of everyone. They'll realize soon that responding with assaults is better then a well composed squad.

Also that responding with this can give better engagements later.

Yeah, no side is perfect... I was a bit ashamed of my own alliance last night wiping CCCP with a superior force. I don't care if I get *** for saying this, but this is the kind of behavior that results in an empty beta. And no side is without fault for doing stuff like this and not practicing restraint.

If we want new corps to stay on beta, using superior force is never a good idea, whether it be Novastrov or Wambulance...

I think now is the time for all beta alliances to come together and stop doing this crap. We wan't a healthy active beta, zerging new players off of it is NOT ok, regardless of the corp tag. Regardless of *** talking. Regardless of anything. Everyone should know better than this.

Do smaller roams on these islands... give new alliances/corps a chance to make a name for themselves on beta. Give them fun, fair fights. Stop saying "lol look at all these roaches in lights and assults we stomp you off island X newbs" and start contributing to a healthy beta environment.

84 (edited by Vaelen Gar 2011-09-12 18:16:33)

I've gotten some very cool sh*t out of you lately Mara, and all of Hok.

Props to you for it.

Edit - GREAT post Sundial, I thank you for making it.

85 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-09-12 18:19:46)

The large alliances are pretty annoying in the aspect of their disregard for what they're doing. I remember when FOOM first hit Beta, we were having a good time. Everyone was saying how glad they were that there was fresh faces on beta and that they wanted to see us grow. Then on the other hand everyone roamed us on a daily basis. The whole pat you on the back and then knife you situation was pretty annoying and I see it happening on Als now.

FOOM never wanted to be a part of anything big, but the other corps in the game kinda forced that by grinding our new pilots every single day. You don't really have much other options than to join a blob or die. It's one thing to have decent fights every so often, but when you do it multiple times a day with sizeable forces, you may as well be declaring war. The main reason I can see that the bigger groups don't make it formal is because it would make them look like bullies for picking on the small guy, so they just roam and hope that no one notices outside the people getting bent over on a daily basis.

Like I said in chat the other day, I feel sorry for Squid. Everyone's just going to roam them now because they're active and excited about the game. I give it another week or so before their members start to realize this crap is going to keep happening until they either leave or form a truce with one of their daily raiders. It would be nice if the people doing it at least stated their intentions. But I suppose the killboards speak volumes more truth anyway.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Wambulance wants squid to thrive. We've made joint-leadership decisions to not roam them in wtf-p0wn squads. I would hope others are thinking same. Follow the example of killing too much your prey.

Grim, that reminds me of beta...

there was a lack PvP, and if you ever activated your PvP flag on your Heavy mech around an alpha terminal near someone else who had it active, you could see how the GC filled with login messages.

their TS at that moment could be compared with the seagulls from finding nemo.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

88 (edited by Cassius 2011-09-12 21:13:43)

If only the Devs made a beta island with no production facilities and faulty teleports that could handle only Assualt or smaller chassis ..... Guaranteed roams with small bots. I am sure I read something of this idea somewhere so I am not taking credit for it.

The suggestion was made before. But essentially that non-resource Island would be just like an arena, where only players that want 'fair' fights would go. The same thing can be arranged now by using the existing arena on alpha, and simplying flagging up and fighting. Except this Arena Island would end up with blobs of small bots sitting on the TP waiting for players to zone in, until everyone just stopped going there. It would have the achievement of being Perp's least used Island though.

TPs are the issue anyway you restrict them

they are fixed locations on the map. this means they will always be "camp-able", even if you make the islands huge - as long as the chokepoints are fixed in location, they can be locked down.

same issue with outpost: they are fixed locations on the map. if they implement a game mechanic that allows you to enter an area at any point, then the outposts need to be hide-able too.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

The purpose of terra-forming will also be to make choke points. TP's or land bridges, it will always be in a defenders best interest to funnel attacking troops through congested area, this will be even more true with artillary or mines, in conjunction with AOE damage.

What I saw in many of the intrusions though, wasn't an attempt to stop an invasion at the telelporter, because in general it's poor ground to fight on and you have to divide your forces between multiple entry points and leave your objectives unguarded.

The remainder of the gate games end up being to limit roaming while performing operations. Or just limiting access.

If an outpost owner has the man-power and will to sit on the congestion point they are going to do it, or create a congestion point.

Because of the way intrusion mechanics are currently, only happening every 3 days, roaming has become the defacto standard of PVP. With new mechanics that generate pvp opportunities daily at multiple locations, 'generic' roaming for the LoLs will dissapate and objective based pvp will hopefully become the norm.

That being the case, making it easier to 'roam' should not be the primary focus of PVP changes, but improving objective based PVP should.

well, most intrusion i have seen, have been decided almost all times before the actual intrusion timer started. either one force was outnumbering the other one, had the better tech, or had simply full-intel (no, not partial, but FULL intel)

the "chokepoint" wasn't really the issue, the intel around it was it. knowing that your enemy comes through a certain chokepoint, or several is already a big advantage. but the enemy also know where you are -> which one weights more?

You can break through gates, keeping eyes on them isn’t the end all be all.  To open a different can of worms, I blame detectors and maskers for many of the small scale PvP woes the game is having, but that’s a different issue….

Agreed, if your opponent knows where and when your going to strike, you eliminate the need for a physical choke point. But in those cases, you can have the whole coast of france to land on, but if they know your going to land at Normandy they can camp that site just as easily as a TP/choke point.

95 (edited by Vaelen Gar 2011-09-13 00:25:31)

So long as there are multiple gates in, with decent spacing, a determined raiding force will get in.  Myself and many others proved this many times over. 

The way things are now with detector bots, we stand little chance of roaming a defended island, and the raiding “pirate” game is very dead.  That, imo, causes (edit-I should say is one of the causes) people to blob up, and is partially responsible for the situation we have.

96 (edited by Annihilator 2011-09-13 00:26:53)

has there ever been a "pirate" game?

the blobbing up happened from day 1, because noone here wants to lose. you see it in one of the Foom posts.
if you are brave enough to life on beta as a small group, you are the favourite "pvp" target for those who "like to pvp". they are bigger numbers, because they cannot afford it mentally to lose against someone that has less alt accounts.

97 (edited by Vaelen Gar 2011-09-13 00:37:28)

There was never a “pirate” game like in Eve, but small group raiding was once pretty common.  Now it isn’t.

Edit – The origination of the term “pirate” in this game as far as I know, and if I’m wrong I welcome correction, was coined in a post on these very forums from a member of M2S.  After ECORP had been ejected from Koykili by the combined efforts of Southern Dom and Infestation, the dedicated PvP people from the former Northern Dom alliance started small group harassment of the corps still on Dom.  Amid much forum smack talk, a member of M2S made a post something like “Didn’t you get the memo?  ECORP is the new cool pirate Corp”, or something like that.  That’s the first time I remember “pirate” being mentioned.

2nd Edit - or at least mentioned and sticking.

Vaelen Gar wrote:

So long as there are multiple gates in, with decent spacing, a determined raiding force will get in.  Myself and many others proved this many times over. 

The way things are now with detector bots, we stand little chance of roaming a defended island, and the raiding “pirate” game is very dead.  That, imo, causes (edit-I should say is one of the causes) people to blob up, and is partially responsible for the situation we have.

What's your definition of blob?

Vaelen Gar wrote:

Yeah.. the problem is finding a good ballance between attack and defense. If its too easy to defend, people blob up. If its too easy to attack, its not worth living on beta.

Trap Card wrote:

What's your definition of blob?

I said in an earlier post that "blob" is a relative value, and because of that I try not to use the term much.  However, if I go into a fight and end up outnumbered more then two to one, I confess that it makes me feel "blobbed".

Sundial wrote:

Yeah.. the problem is finding a good ballance between attack and defense. If its too easy to defend, people blob up. If its too easy to attack, its not worth living on beta.

For the record though Sundial, and speaking only for myself, if I come onto your island I don't expect you to give me fair fights, though I certainly appreciate it when you do.  It's your island after all, and entertaining me isn't necessarily your priority.  I'm getting on a bit of a soap box here, but I just feel that detectors have given the defenders too much of an edge.