Topic: How to keep PvE oriented population - Achievements

Hi DEVs,

In our corp discussions we talked about what would keep the PvE lovers interested in the game, and how to give some incentive for dull grinding, and the answer is simpler then I thought:

It would be an achievements system.

A few examples:
Mined 1mill unit of titanium ore
Mined 10 mill
Mined 100mill

Killed 10 heavy mechs
Killed 100
Killed 1000

Killed 10 pelistal robots
Killed 100
Killed 1000

Died 10 times
Died 100 times
Died 1000 times

Looted 10 pelistal kernels
Looted 100
Looted 1000

Completed 10 level 1 assignments

Traveled 10km
Traveled 100km
Traveled 1000km

The list can go on and on, the possibilities are almost limitless.

You could also add some small reward for completing them, like faction ammo, or a niani module, and for completing a range of achievements that takes weeks to do some better reward, like a 75% heavy mech CT, or an MK2 heavy mech.

Industrial Junkie

Re: How to keep PvE oriented population - Achievements

Hey Tamas,
Achieves have a tendency to make games, well, feel like a game.
Some people take the game too seriously as it is and truth be told achievements would annoy me. Not because I don't want them but because when it comes to Perpetuum I don't want to see that I have 60% of the achievements and have to get the rest of them. Achieves annoy me more than they entice me but I still do them.

It's a very nice idea but wouldn't greatly help unless they rewarded you somehow. The idea of achievements is they're to be shown off somewhere. They're bragging rights. They're "Add gold stars to your character sheet" type items. This could be done however.

I have a love hate relationship with achievements. For the casual players perhaps it's a good idea..

[Off Topic]
Also, when did you leave M2S?

3 (edited by Tamas Vitez 2011-09-12 14:22:44)

Alex, you are thinking with a PvP-oriented head, in the bartle categorization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_Test) you are mainly a killer. Most of the players playing this game are similar to you and thats fine.

But, for this game to be successful we need to have content and mechanics for every player type of the bartle categorization. We need PvE-oriented players in this game that rarely leave alpha but still contribute to the economy of the game. They are mainly the achiever types. Many players who are not on beta are not logging in after a while because they need goals. Achievements are sort of goals to work towards.

Achievements should be soloable and the majority should be done on alpha. That way they could be done without the need to join a beta corporation. Beta corps are self-sufficient at the moment and there is no real market for the individuals, industrials, PvE lovers. We need incentives to motivate alpha players to kill that 856th pelistal bot and loot that kernel.

I think this system would revive the general economy and set goals to work for if you are not a PvPer. Few players like myself can set their own goals in the game, but the majority needs guidance and clear, build-in goals.

[off topic]
I left M2S on good terms a few weeks ago, needed time to recognize I'm too industrial for a PvP oriented corp smile

Industrial Junkie

how about any achievements that are not tied to everyday bussiness of the game ?

I mean what you listed is not an achievement. Do you reward youself everyday for drinking the Nth liter of water ? Even if you have to for survival ?

all in all,  not a bad idea, but:

1. Some achievements that present challenge and not just grind
2. Corporation level achievements

agreed with ruka... and tamaz

Archievements are a common aspect of modern games. And could also attract steam player wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

An additional part of the discussion was making the achievements purely optional, meaning there's no reward that directly influences your ingame power.

The list of 'common' acheivements Tamas had are there simply to give an 'Atta boy' to players for doing something they would acutally be doing anyway. I wan't trying to reach that 5000 fish mark in WoW, but it was a nice little omg I fish too much reminder when it popped up.

I can see the arguement that it breaks the immersion in Perp. But carebear players typically have a mild case of OCD, this is most evident when you see miners 'cleaning' up blocks around the edges of a field smile

I would suspect that's Alex's issue with them too, and it fairly common among gamers in general. The driving desire to 'complete' objectives. Many of those same players however find it difficult to set those objectives themselves.

I can guarntee that server particiaption would increase with the addition of achieves, but it's a developmental issue to determine if this method of increasing population is acceptable.

We are planning to bring achievements in some form, but we're still in the middle of figuring out what the rewards should be, rare items, small permanent buffs, or a combination of these.

I'm a bit indecisive about Hugh's point, but I'm leaning towards including "everyday" achievements (even if only as a lower kind), since alone the goal of killing a thousand NPCs is an achievement in itself. Despite it's something the game "requires" you to do, reaching that goal means you played that far, and it provides you some kind of approval and bragging rights.

When I played WoW and achivements were released, I was a bit upset. Most people I talked to loved them, and I couldn't understand. To me it was just a way for them to add replayability to the game, without having to actually add content.

It's been years since that was an issue for me in that other game, and many modern games do have them. I DO think it would be a good idea for Perpetuum, as adding replayability with or without content for casuals and carebears is a good thing as they're the meat and potatos of any game.

9 (edited by Dan 2011-09-12 20:10:36)

I could understand Achievements in PvE aspect of the game. Like Syndicate is awarding agents/corporations who contribute to "the cause".
I don't see those achievements in PvP since we have fighting other agents and it doesn't really help Syndicate, so why should we be awarded for that?

I would vote "yes" if it was really well connected to games lore. I don't have exact idea right now, but I'll sleep with it tongue

DEV wrote:

We are planning to bring achievements in some form, but we're still in the middle of figuring out what the rewards should be, rare items, small permanent buffs, or a combination of these.

Rare items = forced grind(but players could live with that), permanent buffs = Dear GOD! I MUST GRIND IT! (hell no!)

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

I was very active in raiding for Wow and wasn't all that into the achievements. However on those few off nights I would look at the list and get some inspiration for something to do. I was also being called on to help other guildies finish achieves for vanity pets that they were interested in which I was usually happy to do.

The point of that, I think both types of acheive's would add value. Directed goals with rewards and everyday 'atta boy' badges. Players love mounts and vanity pets. To translate, I really like the look of my Riv MK II in addition to all bonuses. Adding in a different 'rare' model (skin only) of existing bots wouldn't effect balance but would be highly motivating to many players; this would work in conjunction with the new paint shop as a rare token, or 'unlocks' the ability to buy the rare paint job.

I used to hate achievements, but I think if done right they can be fun. Integrate it into the game.... have syndicate/faction honors / rewards. Maybe give rep bonus for certain acheivements for example.

Of course this would have to be very well thought out.

I think achievements like "kill a superior observer with an arke" would be awesome. Funny stuff, some stuff for bragging rights etc. Add in every day stuff like mining / harvesting / artifact scanning / ratting also.

Just keep it to PvE please, NO PVP achievements. PvP achievements hurt PvP and makes people do stupid crap just for the achievements.

PvE achievements yes please, PvP achievements no way!

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

meh...just work on something else actually more content related.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

God im agreeing with binary face... Achievements in a sandbox game are kind of odd as you are doing everything for a reward already..

14 (edited by Snowman 2011-09-13 11:37:21)

I like achievements!

It gives you something to do when there is nothing else to do.

In addition,  there should be titles, and badges  for skill related achievements, exploration, distance traveled, market activity.

I love things like these, they give you a sense of progression and purpose, inbetween wars..  and they should be a fairly simple thing to implement.  Well, more simpler and less time consuming than putting in full blown PvE content.

As for rewards... well, I dont really care about the reward.  Just having the achievement and being able to display that achievement is reward enough.

Achievements are sawdust in the content meatloaf. Tossing out cookies for reaching arbitrary milestones is just... dumb. If you have to do something, just keep track of a bunch of gameplay stats and let us decide how impressive someone's odometer is.

But, for this game to be successful we need to have content and mechanics for every player type of the bartle categorization.

If you try to be everything to everyone...

A good achievement system is in GuildWars ... the achievments are actualy optional in themselves. Like master cartographer ... you had to visit every corner of the place ... or master drunktard :-) had to be constantly drunk for a set amount of time.

I would couple the achievement system with artifact scanning for PvE players and production/research for industrialists. We could even do an achiement system for PvP (other than killboard). F.e holding all outposts for a set time :-)

While I agree that achievements are artificial, there always has to be a compromise in game mechanics for human psychology. The addition of achievements will motivate people to play more, which will increase the population, and have a positive effect on the whole game. The trade off is a break with immersion. But I think it's also possible that the Syndicate would be more then willing to give out 'medals', being ultimately practical, that have a minimal cost from thier view.

Arga wrote:

While I agree that achievements are artificial, there always has to be a compromise in game mechanics for human psychology. The addition of achievements will motivate people to play more, which will increase the population, and have a positive effect on the whole game. The trade off is a break with immersion. But I think it's also possible that the Syndicate would be more then willing to give out 'medals', being ultimately practical, that have a minimal cost from thier view.

maybe what we are looking for is a Guinness Book of Records type system.

It would be interesting to know which agent has "Most Titan Mined", but world records are more competitive then achievements, and maybe knowing that Agent X is only 120M titan ahead would motivate some players to mine more. How many 100's of quarters did I spend at the arcade simply to get my initials at the top of the list? A lot.

So, adding in a Most Productive Agent would balance out the Most Dangerous Agent, and give us industry players some well deserved recognition!

But, acheivements would fall into a seperate category, more for individual goal setting then competition.

Arga wrote:

But, acheivements would fall into a seperate category, more for individual goal setting then competition.

They should have more to do with actual achievement then, and less to do with things that will inevitably happen if you just play long enough. Instead of just "mined a bajillion U of titan," make it "mined X amount in 1 hour". Indies could get ones for minimizing production line downtime. Traders could get them for obscene ROIs. Not "killed 1000 NPCs", but "killed a mech while taking no damage". Varying degrees of difficulty, of course.

Best that they aren't simply a matter of maxing extensions, but actually reward player skill.

Or the achievements could be monthly or weekly, that could be a bit more motivating.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Lana Torrin wrote:
0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

God im agreeing with binary face... Achievements in a sandbox game are kind of odd as you are doing everything for a reward already..

+1 to this....

However, if you are going to introduce them I suggest no special rewards and a major HELL NO to permanent buffs.

Achievements are a reward unto themselves and also bragging rights if made publicly viewable. Don't tie rare items or anything of value to them. It will end up being one more thing to grind.

Inappropriate signature.

Paragon wrote:

Achievements are sawdust in the content meatloaf. Tossing out cookies for reaching arbitrary milestones is just... dumb. If you have to do something, just keep track of a bunch of gameplay stats and let us decide how impressive someone's odometer is.

Id actually use a different analogy...

Coffee!

For restraunts and most food establishments, Coffee isnt their main product... however, its very cheap to buy where customers are willing to pay a high price.    Its got margin.

Acheivments are like coffee... cheap to produce, and not your main stream product line,  but has a lot of margin in it, a lot of use.. people will consume it in vast quantities and will be satisfied (to an extent)

For me, any game without acheivments is like going to a restraunt that doesnt sell coffee which I like to drink at the end of a good meal.

I'm drinking coffee now.... delicious. smile

Regardless how it's implemented, some subset of players will bash them, because there's no pleasing everyone.

In general though, if the rewards (from no game impact to 'some' impact) are balanced with the effort to acheivement, the system will be generally excepted.

imho, anything that gives you an ingame bonus will be called "must have" and will cause flaming by certain player.

like the standing bonus on production, which was not that much less if you didnt do any combat missions, but you all know how it developed...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear