Topic: Crafting Revamp

I have been looking at many people’s suggestions in order to help fix the market so here is my suggestion, it will take a bit of work on the DEVS part to implement (rewriting lots of code).
From my prospective the reason everyone is arguing that the market is broken / nonexistent is because they cannot find what they want when they want for a reasonable price.  Why ? because builders must spend too much time and energy making Items that people actually want.
Example : I want to sell T4 Widgets to all, first I need to make prototypes of not one item but 4 items, then make a run of each dependent tiered item in order to make the item that I want to sell. This is crazy and a waste of time. Each Item Tier has its own benefit :

T1: cheap , basic module
T2: lighter than T1 but still a low cost solution
T3: Higher Quality over T1/2 and pack more bang for the buck
T4: Superior Quality, high cost, cream of the crop better than T1/2/3 in effectiveness

Instead of making builders make sub tiered items just add the mineral cost of the previous item to the new item.
For example if the T1 Widget is 100 titanium make then the T2 Widget cost 200 titanium and the T3 300 titanium and T4 400 titanium. Allow builders to make a prototype for the T4 widget and just build one item not 3 sub items for that one item. I think this will allow builders to fill market demand. I say this because for me I will not sell on the open market any item T4 that I have to spend 3 to 4 days making for as little as 1.2 mill.
If I could make my T3 or T4 prototype and just build the item I want to sell and not waste all the time on the sub items I would sell it on the market.

Q: what is everyone going to do with all of the T1/2/3 stiff that drops off NPC’s that goes into the production lines now?
A: recycle it for the minerals to build the tiered item you want.

Q: wont this just make the market fill with only T4 modules ?
A: No people like me will sell you all the T2/3 you want, so long as we don’t have to make all of the sub items.

I think this will greatly improve the supply problem with our current market system. as of right now the only items I sell on market are robots, because they do not take sub components to make, I keep all the MK2 to my self because its to time consuming to make them for selling, 2 weeks for MK2 Mech line ??? really ??? there's no way I would sell MK2 Mechs (EW) for less than 40 to 50 mill each and even then no one will buy at that price. Ide rather stock pile these things in anticipation of MK3 Robots.

Re: Crafting Revamp

If a player can buy T4 items off the market for under 1M nic, why would they ever buy anything else?

Great post Tux... completely agreed.

Also instead of just multiplying materials needed, they could just add more expensive components (epitron and noralgis based) to the higher tier stuff, and use harder to get stuff for t2 and sometimes epi based components.

The current system makes no sense really... lorewise or mechanic wise.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Arga wrote:

If a player can buy T4 items off the market for under 1M nic, why would they ever buy anything else?

T2 is useful for fitting / speed fitting. T1 would still be used by new players.

I would think the issue would be, "where does this leave T3"

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Every tier has a use as noted.

T1= Cheap fun fits
T2= Tight/Light fits
T3= Cheap alternative to T4
T4= Max potential for slot

Making a builder go through with building every single tier is kind of silly and I'm not sure the purpose devs had behind it. If it's cost, like the OP noted, add it in to the T4's cost up front. I doubt this will phase out every other tier as well to the point that not everyone is loaded and can always afford to run T4. Maybe for PvE, sure. But PvP ? That bracket is a tad smaller and I know from seeing the fits wandering around beta that full T4 fits are not that common for just random excursions and roams.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

My issue with this suggestion is that it's dumming down production professions.

The reason behind the current system is that T4 is supposed to take a long time to produce, not just be expensive, its costly in both time and resources. At each stage of production, the builder needs to make the decision to either sell the product or continue to produce it to T4. It also takes planning to manage the CT's in the factory and staggering the lines.

It also requires the builder to have a sense of the market, as the demand for T4 today can't be met for at least 3 or 4 days. My comment about using nothing else applies more to beta corps. A standard build uses 5 or 6 different modules, to produce that would require 20 to 24 of the 30 lines available. But with the proposed shortcut, the indy could instead run 4 complete T4 sets, which means instead of getting 10 sets every 4 days, they can pump out 40 sets every day. There would be no need to ever fit anything but T4 if your EP let you.

"Expense" doesn't really mean as much to beta corps, production time is really the only limiting factor in how powerful they can be. This would totally ruin the 'tiering' system, anyone that wanted to compete would need T4, and completel lock out newer players or those unwilling to grind to buy T4, which would be easily available on the market.

The alternative would be to increase the factory run time to 4 days for t4. That sounds amazingly thrilling to play. Start 30 lines of the most popular T4 on monday, log back in Thursday, start new run, sell T4, log off for 4 more days.

Arga wrote:

My issue with this suggestion is that it's dumming down production professions.

Sorry Arga you didnt get the memo...
That is how this game is suppose to be played, by dumming down everything and anything that's too hard...oh and making betas in to alphas.
That last bit is at the end in the fine print.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

9 (edited by Alexander 2011-09-02 07:00:17)

I am not sure where you've been but the tiers work like that already:
T1 = Standard (Requires no beta minerals)
T2 = 10% better than T1 in weight and fittings. (Requires every small amounts of beta materials
T3 = 15% better than T1 in positive stats apart from weight and fittings.
T4 = 20% better than T1 in most areas but requires 20% more fittings and weight

However currently this is NOT the case in almost all modules in the game. All are very close to this but T3 small armour plates are better than T1 in weight.

T4 small lasers have more than a 20% bonus to cycle time.. etc.
But the tiered system is in place and the main issue currently is lack of economy so prices are more a personal preferences than something created by the living breathing market.

Tiered production is very easy and creates an exponential in the cost of items. If you want cheap T4s then build them under your corp flag and stop buying them.

Right now T2 light lasers (f.e.) have bonus to damage only, and T3 - to range only. T4 have them both and increased. That makes each tier useable allowing to create different fit plans for different roles. Lets just enhance that system.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

So what would this do besides making it ridiculously easy to produce T4 modules once you have the knowledge base for it?

It would be done on industrial corp-scale and corps would go overnight from struggling to put out 4 T4 LWF lines, to pumping out 30 T4 X lines.

What about T2 T3 prototype costs? Production costs? Either it's all merged into the T4 cost, in which case T4 will become even more scarce on the market and we'll see corps downgrading non-crucial modules to T1-T2, or its not merged and then there's no point in bothering to produce anything BUT T4.

In either case, everyone's forced to either downgrade their fits, or everyone's given a level playing field by easily producing T4. There's already a few very very simple mechanics in-game for producing more T4 in-game; "MMB" or as I like to call it "Mine More B*tch", and "SMPA" or as call it "Sub More Producer Accounts".

T4 should take time and effort. Lack of it shouldn't neccessitate spitting in the face of everyone who spent 5-10 hours daily mining since release.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

12 (edited by Tux 2011-09-02 19:48:08)

Many of you are missing the point of this post, it is to encourage new players and new corps to the game by making the crafting system logical. I can understand if you do not like this proposition because you are a player that has been here from day one and anything that doesn’t make any new player have to spend that same amount of time that you did to do things is in some way wrong, but there needs to be some fundamental changes to the way this game works or it isn’t population is not going to grow at any noticeable pace.  The trend now is for new corps to be pressured into merging into already established corps. this does nothing for game diversity or market competition. 

I know many beta players might think this making the game to easy but I think that new players really have no chance in competing with already established corps for at least 4 to 6 months while they gather all of the EP and tech necessary to fill 30+ factory slots to make T4 lines. Not that there is much T4 on the market as it is, but when market price reflects pricing that says “ I don’t care if I sell this I just want to *** others for their NIC” instead of “I should set this at a price that it higher but still in line with its sub tiered version” Something is wrong.
Yes I agree that T4 should take time and effort .. that’s why you have to grind for months to get the tech. Also if you read my first post I am a builder I make T4 I don’t need to buy it. What I am saying is that there is a lot of people like me out there making T4 who are not selling it because of how much time it takes to make, when no one is selling T4 at a “reasonable” price the market dies. The T4 that is on the market is drastically over priced and I am sorry for those who do fall victim and buy it.

You have a problem with build times? Increase the tiered build times accordingly to reflect current build times under my proposition IDK. What I have a problem with is this silly make all of these sub widgets to make one T4 widget.
Example:
T1 widget: 4 Hrs
T2 widget: 8 Hrs
T3 widget: 12 hrs
T4 widget: 16 Hrs

Could you imagine if they made you make the legs torso and head of a Robot before you could actually make the Robot? How mind numbing would that be. Needing to use sub components only make sense if you are customizing something, not if you are making one item that has no variance.

This will not change the cost of Items  made it will just simplify the building process. It will allow builders to build more a variety of items ,So downgrading fits is nonsense. Cheers to you if you spend 5-10 hours a day mining I hope that's really enjoyable for you.

T1: cheap , basic module
T2: lighter than T1 but still a low cost solution
T3: Higher Quality over T1/2 and pack more bang for the buck
T4: Superior Quality, high cost, cream of the crop better than T1/2/3 in effectiveness

current tiered system and reason why below t4 isn't desire able. making production of lower tier gear easier or simplier wont change the fact that the real reasons to NOT use them is that they are worse then T4.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

14 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-09-03 11:11:55)

I really dislike the suggestion. The current tiered system adds a level of complexity and forces producers to plan their production well if you want to be efficient. Further, I don't really see the gain, t4 is supposed to take some effort to make.

Another comment; T4 production is not really for new players as it requires quite extensive research, so get over it. And if you've invested so much to attain t4 research, it seems very odd you wouldn't have good extensions. If you are too lazy too do what's required at that stage, I'm afraid you've just chosen the wrong profession.

In essence, completely with Arga, don't dumb down the manufacturing process.

I have got a handful of buddies to come join the game in the last few weeks and they love the complexity of the production system. Theyre busy farming kernels and wanting to get into T2 production as its something small enough scale for them to do at thier early point in thier chars lives.

New players dont need to worry about T4 complexity. I think they should leave the system as it is.

Lets just all agree that Tux sucks at coming up with "new" ideas.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr