Topic: An Idea to Reward Exploring Islands

I think something that would add some fun to all the travel and running around the islands would be the ability to stumble across things in your travels.

I came from Darkfall, and when you were out traveling you could find Chaos Chests - which could contain gold, gear, and rare items.  It made it more interesting to just go out and adventure.  Other things you could find were small stacks of reagents, and given the stacks were small...it was still pretty exciting to catch one riding by....First instinct was to go get it.  There were certain rare items only available if found in the Chaos Chest.(Like Deeds for houses, accessories for houses, etc)

Obviously it would have to be attuned more for the Perp world, but I think it would be an incentive.  I know we have artifact scanning, but this wouldn't be something you had to spend money or extensions on.  Example:  Group A is out on a roam, spots a Nuimqol cargo bin(or perhaps an Ammo stash, and maybe said Ammo stash has a chance to give you faction ammo in small amounts)....I think not only would that encourage people to actively seek to find these things, it may bring a little action with it.

Just an idea big_smile

Re: An Idea to Reward Exploring Islands

I like the idea. Some will say that is artifact scanning, but you cant always be bothered to have a scanner.  Just random caches that spawn to get people off the same old paths would be nice.

As an artifacter, I don't want this to compete with me, especially if it needs no extensions or equipment. It needs to be a sideline thing, something more accidental than something worth actively searching for. Anything truly valuable needs to be extremely rare. And I'd also suggest that you need to be very close to notice one, say 20m.

meh

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Artifact scanning already does this pretty effectively.  Buy an argano, a geoscanner, and some scan ammo.  Go exploring.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Artifact scanning already does this pretty effectively.  Buy an argano, a geoscanner, and some scan ammo.  Go exploring.

Mhm, but who brings an Argano on a PvP roam? With very few people alredy on the non-alliance-owned beta islands roaming can be quite dull. Could spice it up abit smile

Sinceto wrote:

Mhm, but who brings an Argano on a PvP roam? With very few people alredy on the non-alliance-owned beta islands roaming can be quite dull. Could spice it up abit smile

Nobody brings mining equipment on a PvP roam either. Doesn't mean their holds should gradually fill with ore while they wander around. smile

Bring an argano pilot with you, or stick scanners on a couple of the combat bots. If you think artifacting would spice up a roam, the tools are available.

to bad the small blue bots are better at RR then the small industrials, or else you would see more arganos on roams then now.

also speed, masking, detection, locking time and interference of small indu bots is far worse then small combat bots. That back mount of the argano would make a good place for a radar dish...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Are you people crazy?  You ever been on a 5 hour roam and seen NOTHING?  How is this going to mess up artifact scanning?  This is an incentive for more smaller based corps to roam beta.  No one wants to bring an artifact scanner on a roam.  Thats dumber then a box of rocks.  It just might shake things up on a roam then discussing politics or who has the best midget pron site.

Reynava Mohric wrote:

find Chaos Chests - which could contain gold, gear, and rare items.

Don't. Touch. Our. Chests.

Enjoy ur sandbox, and enjoy ur %islandname% while u can.

lol smile

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

+1

13 (edited by Alty McAlty 2011-09-07 23:07:05)

how would this hurt artifact scanners? would it not benefit them more, i mean that's all your doing is running around aimlessly anyway more chance to find these boxes while you hunt your boxes cool.

+1

Sweet Baby Jesus NO

Next thing will be to just sit around in an outpost and wait for items to magically appear in your hanger......... or better yet, let me walk up to a spawn and have it randomly drop a loot can for no reason..........

Rewards should only be given for effort. It takes 0 effort to randomly walk around to find the magical box of goodness.....

Artifact scanning takes an investment of EP, NIC and time to use/understand the system. Time is also invested island hopping and travelling for those that are serious artifact hunters (I only artifact scan for a break from mining/pve). Ever try and get that lvl 3 observer site in the middle of the mob of 3 demobilizer npc? I have. It takes effort. It is more then a run up and grab it can....

Mining takes an investment of EP,NIC and time. You have to scan down the ore locations. You generally will have an alt or another corpie haul as the ore fields within range of the terminal (switching out to a seq or lithus) are generally quite pathetic. Personally I have spent many hours doing scans of the island I mine. My reward is the ore I find by using the extensions I purchased and trained as well as the equipment I used my EP to fit and use.

Harvesting takes the same investment as mining and then some... Plants are nowhere near as numerous as the tiles you find in an ore/liquid field...When was the last time you had to plant some titan ore?????

PVE takes an investment of EP,Nic and time. You have to find the spawns you are capable of farming and fit your bot accordingly. You progressively have to do this as your INVESTMENT in your toon grows.

PVP takes an investment of EP,NIC and time.....(I am getting tired of typing that but I figured repetition is good for those that have a hard time grasping things!). Gotta find the folks to pew pew. gotta sink time into grinding NIC for bots and gear. Gotta spend time getting the materials. etc....... Have to spend time grinding what the corp needs in the case of a communist corp.

Indy takes a massive investment of EP,NIC and time. IMHO this is by far the most investment intensive role in the game.... In most cases it takes a corporation's investment of time,nic and EP to get the kernels needed for building. The best part of this role is that it takes the efforts of every other role listed above to make Indy productive......

The key to all of these roles is the investment of more then double tapping the "W" key. In my opinion, people play a game for the challenge it represents. The more a game accomodates the "I don't wanna expend any effort" and the "I must have everything now!"crowd, aka the instant gratification crew the shorter it's life span will be........

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:

Sweet Baby Jesus NO

Rewards should only be given for effort. It takes 0 effort to randomly walk around to find the magical box of goodness.....

A game needs to be FUN. People play for leisure. Games are not supposed to mimic every aspect of the real life, much less if that aspect is not considered FUN for most gamers.

And why do you say that spending time walking around takes no effort? You have a cost for everything you choose to do (including walking around in circles). The cost of doing "nothing" is the reward of the best thing you could be doing instead.

Suppose the triangle missions were the best thing a novice could do for money. If someone chooses to walk around searching for boxes instead of doing the triangles, the cost of walking would be everything you could be making on the triangle missions (and that would be a lot, as we knew it).

Random reward spawns would add fun to the game, IMO. It would not broke anything cuz would be scarce and people would not stop what they were doing to search for random rewards.

PS: I'm getting bored of the game cuz I'm starting to feel the same way I felt when I was playing EVE (the feeling that i'm working on the game, not playing).

Games are not always 'fun', that's not the definition of a game, and not all games are played for leisure.

The casual game market has made billions of dollars on Fun/Leisure games like angry birds and farmville. Coming from a serious raiding guild in Wow, I can tell you that parts of that game were fun, but the most rewarding part of the game came from the challenging parts.

Artifact scanning was much funner before the tool that told you where to drive and click, and the game could use a lot more 'fun' content.

But, this is a persistent challenging world, and the addition of random challenge-free resources doesn't fit.

People are getting bored, but its not because candy isn't falling from the sky. Lack of motivation for PVP, just giving individuals rewards to lure them to beta isn't going to fix that.

Devs promised us a story and a reason for conflict. That's really all it will take; well that and smaller immediate goals.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I don't play a game to relive the drudgery of work. If this game goes the route of WoW raiding style time commitments, I will go the way of the exit.

Also "much funner"? WHATCHOO TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?!

I think goody bags could be fun, so long as they're small serendipitous rewards. Guild Wars had em in the form of little treasure chests hidden out in the middle of nowhere, and it was a nice touch.

Hayek wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

Sweet Baby Jesus NO

A game needs to be FUN. People play for leisure. Games are not supposed to mimic every aspect of the real life, much less if that aspect is not considered FUN for most gamers.

And why do you say that spending time walking around takes no effort? You have a cost for everything you choose to do (including walking around in circles). The cost of doing "nothing" is the reward of the best thing you could be doing instead.

Suppose the triangle missions were the best thing a novice could do for money. If someone chooses to walk around searching for boxes instead of doing the triangles, the cost of walking would be everything you could be making on the triangle missions (and that would be a lot, as we knew it).

Random reward spawns would add fun to the game, IMO. It would not broke anything cuz would be scarce and people would not stop what they were doing to search for random rewards.

PS: I'm getting bored of the game cuz I'm starting to feel the same way I felt when I was playing EVE (the feeling that i'm working on the game, not playing).

I guess that makes you part of the do it for me, instant gratification crowd......

As far as random reward spawns the Devs just did that with the npcs. It does take EFFORT to take advantage of it though not just herp derping around.

One of the great downfalls of Eve has been the dumbing down (aka easy mode) of the game to cater to the people who aren't willing to invest the EFFORT into playing the game and finding a niche that suits them.

If you want things handed to you because you don't want to put any EFFORT into your own fun then go fire up your console and button mash some zombies to death.

Inappropriate signature.

slightly off topic i do agree a little bit of random stash finds would be good, but my main thing is hauler spawns need to carry something ffs, they take a long time to kill and basically no reward.

Tupha wrote:

slightly off topic i do agree a little bit of random stash finds would be good, but my main thing is hauler spawns need to carry something ffs, they take a long time to kill and basically no reward.

Then you've never had to research Indy kernels.

Scyylla wrote:

If you want things handed to you because you don't want to put any EFFORT into your own fun then go fire up your console and button mash some zombies to death.

You're overreacting a bit. The random finds would be pretty rare. My guess is they'd be rare enough that it isn't worth your time to actively search for them. They wouldn't contain game-breaking amounts of valuables. They'd just be a nice little surprise while you wander around looking for a fight or scan for minerals or something.

Also, I find the "I'm hardcore, I put effort in" argument isn't normally used by players willing to put a reasonable amount of effort in, it's more often used by people who don't have full-time jobs and are willing to obsess over a game. It is possible for a game to make you work too hard to find fun.

Paragon wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

You're overreacting a bit. The random finds would be pretty rare. My guess is they'd be rare enough that it isn't worth your time to actively search for them. They wouldn't contain game-breaking amounts of valuables. They'd just be a nice little surprise while you wander around looking for a fight or scan for minerals or something.

Also, I find the "I'm hardcore, I put effort in" argument isn't normally used by players willing to put a reasonable amount of effort in, it's more often used by people who don't have full-time jobs and are willing to obsess over a game. It is possible for a game to make you work too hard to find fun.

You are correct in the fact that it is possible for a game to make you work too hard to find your fun. This is not the case with 96% of things in Perpetuum.

I don't care what would be in the random magical container of goodness. Whatever it is, it would be too much. The next whine if these things were introduced would be--" I can't find any of these as I walk from TP to TP. We want more and more and more and more." Once again, you may as well ask for a random item to spawn in your hanger for just sitting in the terminal. I like to call this couch potatoe gaming.. Too d*mn lazy to get off your butt and expend a bit of EFFORT.

Sandbox MMO's are not a "give me something for nothing" game genre. The foundation of the sandbox is built on EFFORT and INVESTMENT by the player base. It is not based on the whims and wants of the entitlement crowd. If you aren't willing to INVEST the EFFORT into the sandbox then these types of MMO's are not for you (the you= the entitlement/something for nothing crew/couch potatoe gamers).

Inappropriate signature.

Effort, investment of large amounts (upto and including more then 4 hours) of your time kill a game.  Unless your Chinese or the Japanese worship the ground you walk on, Example: Final Fantasy 11, large investments in time, little to no reward.

Besides we are talking about a container that has 5k titanium or T2 light stuff, one per...island every 4 hrs respawn timer.  Maybe Beta containers contain T3 or a little more and respawn a bit more...  This would add to a new dynamic of the guys roaming into an island just looking for a chest... but could promote more pvp.

Ville wrote:

Besides we are talking about a container that has 5k titanium or T2 light stuff, one per...island every 4 hrs respawn timer.  Maybe Beta containers contain T3 or a little more and respawn a bit more...  This would add to a new dynamic of the guys roaming into an island just looking for a chest... but could promote more pvp.

Not to be a smart *** but......

I can see all the arkhe kills coming in now...... The only pvp I believe this would promote is an arkhe massacre. There are tons of ideas floating around on the forums to stimulate pvp and damn near every one of them is better then magical boxes of goodness that spawn for the couch potatoe gamer. The type of player that this feature attracts is not a pvp'r. Well, not a voluntary one! lol

Adding items that have a moderate value in the magical boxes of goodness turns this into a direct competition with artifact scanning. There are many times when 5k of titanium or a t2 mod would be preferred to some of the loot I have gotten from scanning sites. Once again why not just ask for a random spawn in your hanger? It will take the same INVESTMENT of 0 EFFORT.

There are plenty of things for players to do in this game that don't require you to invest 4+ hours of time a session. I have my toons geared towards doing both. If I pop on for just a bit I can set up some more manufacturing cycles because I did choose to INVEST time,EP,NIC and EFFORT into indy related areas or I can take my other toon out and farm a spawn. If I have a long playing session I can take my toons out and INVEST some of that time and apply EFFORT to gathering materials to support my indy toon or I can have a nice long npc farming session or better yet---I can use some of the fruits of my labor to set up some pvp bots! I personally believe that the INVESTMENT of EFFORT adds a sense of accomplishment to the end result. Magical boxes of goodness accomplish what? Something for nothing....... WOW impressive...

Ultimately it boils down to the players willingness to expend EFFORT into the designs of the sand within the box. Something for nothing is like having the neighbor's cat take a giant dump in your sand........

Inappropriate signature.