1 (edited by Celebro 2011-08-30 16:57:40)

Topic: Pathfinding not working as it used to.

New: Introducing basic pathfinding: robots will now try to automatically navigate around obstacles when using double click on the terrain, or shift-leftclick on the radar.

Bot used to be able to navigate through plants and other obstacles, right after patch; now it moves then stops suddenly or when encountered with an obstacle.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Pathfinding not working as it used to.

This is a client bug. It still works the same as it did before. Something causes it to get stuck and it will only do three steps and then stop.

The path finding needs improving as sometimes it'll work perfectly over 5km and others it doesn't work at all.

Yeah, it's definitely a "beta" quality feature atm. If we get these two things I'll be totally happy, though: AP doesn't stop, and AP prefers straight lines at any angle (not just multiples of 45 degrees from North).

Non-sarcastic question: after over a decade's worth of RTS titles, isn't there a lot of published work on pathfinding by now? There should be something relevant to Perp. in there.

Arilou wrote:

Yeah, it's definitely a "beta" quality feature atm. If we get these two things I'll be totally happy, though: AP doesn't stop, and AP prefers straight lines at any angle (not just multiples of 45 degrees from North).

Non-sarcastic question: after over a decade's worth of RTS titles, isn't there a lot of published work on pathfinding by now? There should be something relevant to Perp. in there.

I guess the main problem is what if it's all client side the server would have to send you the entire islands plant map at once which I believe used to cause crashes and issues. Now it only updates the plants within your draw distance/view range.

probably the path needs to be updated everytime you see plants and rocks that have not been in you visual range before.

like a navigation system updates automatically when it gets new informations (TMC).

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I haven't seen plant growth dense enough to warrant more than a few minor deviations, so I'd have expected a "rough" path that the AI returns to after dealing with local obstacles. But I've only done some simple scripting; nothing on this scale. And if it's affected by the visibility of plants, I'd be interested to see if longer draw distances get better results.

It's the straight line thing that gets me the most. Try to move NNE and it will go NE until it lines up with the target, then goes directly N, even on an open field. It simply won't follow a straight line unless it lies on one of those 4 axes. That just seems like lazy maths to me. hmm

"But I'm sure it'll get better some day," says my EVE-addled brain. smile

@Devs: Love you guys! Keep fighting the good fight! big_smile