Topic: Sector chat or bubble chat

Could we get chat channel for the current sector that you are in or possibly the ability to say in "bubbles" above your mech? Sometimes it is necessary to talk to multiple people who are not in your squad but in the general area and not have to include the entire game or go through the trouble of inviting multiple people to a channel.

Respond with X if you think this is a good idea. o.O

Re: Sector chat or bubble chat

X

Leave. Please.

4 (edited by Alexander 2010-12-03 02:30:00)

No bubble chats, no range based comms.
Add a "Zone" channel (Optional) that doesn't display participants but allows for people to communicate. Inner islands would be spammed to hell and beta islands would just be used to troll.

The only real reason for a local/zone/area chat is for the solo players to help each other. I like the idea of forming relations with other people but this has been proved to be hardly a solo game. Talk to your Corporation.

Private conversations should be easier to start. If you want to say thank you to two or three people either say to one of them if they're in a group or to each of them.

The Game

5 (edited by Campana 2010-12-03 02:36:06)

Styx wrote:

Leave. Please.

Shush you.

Ok, here goes.

Sector chat: The reason you don't want this is because (the way the chat channels are set up) it tells you who is in the entire area beyond your radar range. Bad idea.

What we want is a say chat, not a sector chat. So ideally you want a chat channel which does not show a list of agent profiles, and where you can only see comments made within 300m of you.

Speech bubbles: you could make these look fairly discreet - a small, square text box above the avatar. However hardcore EVEers (including, I'm sorry to say, most of my corp) dislike this idea very much so if you do implement it, you would need to have a toggle where people can turn it off.

Private message and the other channels do not work, because when you see a couple of people you want to speak to who are not in your squad, or your corp...you can't. Even if you PM them you still have to say "hey, I just saw you ran past..." as a preamble. This is stupid.

This has happened to me six or seven times since I started playing, and it's really really annoying.

I really don't like the idea of chat bubbles over the head of the bots, but I very much want a ranged chat like Campana describes..  And I'm pretty sure that would solve the OP's request too..

So;

-1 to bubble chat
+1 to ranged sector chat

i agree.  ranged chat would be nice.

I'm for bubble chat, and against any ranged chat.

Campana, didn't you get flamed in your corp channel for that post?

An mmorpg should encourage all kinds of player interaction imho. I agree with the problem that it is to  difficult to send information, chat, etc with people you encounter at the moment. pm is not good enough. can be missed, aint got multiple users etc. Not sure about bubble chat but a (sorry for the steve) local channel, in range or some such would be nice.

Would be nice if it was split from the other chats per defualt as well

Alboridian wrote:

i agree.  ranged chat would be nice.

+1

I liek the bubble idea without bubbles which I would dub Broadcast. Just have it display a line of txt over the bots head, linited to some finite number of characters per broadcast. There is no need to even have a channel for this. Just have it as a slash command from any txt prompt.

/bc <msg>

12 (edited by Alexander 2010-12-03 16:14:38)

Annihilator wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own ideas and views. Just because a few of us don't want it doesn't mean all of M2S don't want it.

Looks like a lot of mixed views and honestly there isn't a simple solutions, if it was range based you'd have Person A able to hear Person B but not Person C while Person C is talking to Person B.

A simple ability to add people easily to conversations (Not a channel) would be nice. That way you could quickly add everyone you want to talk to (If it's a massive squad of people just messaging a few of them). It's very rare that people will have anything useful to say over range-based chat or bubble chat. The most likely said thing would be "Thanks" or used to troll and spam the local area. I understand that player communication is important but 1 to 1 and channel based communications should be enough. If 1 to 1 isn't good enough add a feature for small groups to talk quickly without having to make an ever-lasting channel.

Currently the chat server and game server seem to be only linked when docking in terminals and making squads. I am not sure how easy it would be to create commands that can be used universally in every channel that interact with the game world. I like the tabbed chat idea and honestly I'd like to have my combat log tabbed down there too as an option. I guess you could add an optional tab called "System" where all system messages go as well as Broadcasts (Limited to a low number of characters 150 to 200 and one message every 10 seconds). This would also fix the issue that server wide messages aren't logged anywhere.

+1 System Channel (Server messages, Combat log, Broadcasts etc).

The Game

WoW is that way>>>>>

Teamspeak is my bubble chat...

GLiMPSE wrote:

Teamspeak is my bubble chat...

hmm

Annihilator wrote:

When I said I agreed with the idea they initially thought I was trolling them lol

The conversation that sparked my suggestion came from a channel. I forget if it was help or general chat but it made me want to put this suggestion up on the forum. I personally wanted somewhat of a ranged chat (either within the sector or maybe anyone within a certain distance could hear it). The bubble idea was from someone else on the channel and while I'm not necessarily a fan of it, I would much rather have it over nothing.

Upon re-reading over my post I see that it could be taken as I'm saying either one way or the other and there can be no alternatives. However, I meant for the overall suggestions stated in this thread to be less of an actual hardcore stance and more of a way to bring out other people's suggestions to a possible fix. My apologies as I was a little intoxicated at the writing of this thread on the previous night. Please don't tell me to leave or go play wow. I rather enjoy this game and if I wanted to play wow I would be there. This game is much more fun for me.

Thank you.

Here we go with bubble chat again..... Go back to playing WOW and all of it's clones with your bubble chat!

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Here we go with bubble chat again..... Go back to playing WOW and all of it's clones with your bubble chat!

What does bubble chat have to do with WoW? It's not a themepark only feature. UO had it.

In fact, the current chat channels we have are too themeparky in design and not immersive enough. They are just IRC channels tacked onto the UI.

Adding some kind of chat command floating just above you your avatar makes the game more immersive because it ties your avatar into the world in a realistic way.

I honestly cannot understand why you don't want this tongue

I find it really disturbing to pilot a bot with two hundred years of technology in its belt remotely from a distant planet and no being able to communicate with someone two meters from you.

Zone/island chat too is a must, as long as you don't see who is in, except when they are speaking.

Campana wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

What does bubble chat have to do with WoW? It's not a themepark only feature. UO had it.

In fact, the current chat channels we have are too themeparky in design and not immersive enough. They are just IRC channels tacked onto the UI.

Adding some kind of chat command floating just above you your avatar makes the game more immersive because it ties your avatar into the world in a realistic way.

I honestly cannot understand why you don't want this tongue

I never said it wasn't or couldn't be a sandbox feature either. tongue

But I feel it doesn't fit with the setting / genre.

Unless the bots/mechs have speakers boxes or something....

Lore states we are human agents in orbit around earth remote controlling these bots. Chat channels make since.

like IM programs etc. So the IRC channels fit very well with the terminal setting TBH.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Unless the bots/mechs have speakers boxes or something....

Lore states we are human agents in orbit around earth remote controlling these bots. Chat channels make since.

I don't think there is anything wrong with bots having speaker boxes. Imagine they are sending high bursts of ultrasonic...something...pulses. Or, if you are really insist, it could be short range unencrypted radio broadcasts that anyone within 300m could pick up. [click for example!] big_smile

This is one of the occasions where I think gameplay needs to take precedence over lore.

-1 for chat bubbles

+1 for unlisted island chat.

Allow us to send messages island wide and it only shows your name on the message but no player list.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

X

I wouldn't mind chat bubbles. Zone chat though would almost never be used.