Topic: New players and Recruitment

It has come to my attention today that new players don't start out with Recruitment Channel.  I think if we get some of the trials into the recruitment channel they will be more likely to sub.  Just a thought: New Accounts start with General, Corp, Help and Recruitment.

Just my two cents.

Re: New players and Recruitment

You can't recruit trial members, though as soon as they sub recruitment should open by default.

RIP PERPETUUM

If you get the trials into public recruitment channels, they could be more inclinded to sub.

Ville wrote:

If you get the trials into public recruitment channels, they could be more inclinded to sub.

This would be confusing as they could very well assume they can get subbed on trial.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ok, hear me out and stop over thinking this for a bit.  A person creates an account gets dropped with General, corp, recruitment, help.  Spams go off in Recruitment saying join Public channel "Anything".  They join and say hello!  I say hello are you on a trial or are you sub.  They respond with trial.  I tell them about all the shiney stuff a subbed account can do... they then go buy a time code then join the corp, OR they sub and go I am going to fish around some more and join another corp.  Its better then having people log into the game do the missions QQ in general, get bored after 2 days and never return.  I truly think this will help retain potential customers to PO.

Ok point taken, though the rage level would be higher like "Why the hell do I have recruitment open if I can't even join a corp on trial". New trial players already rage enough about this as it is, not saying is a bad idea btw. wink

RIP PERPETUUM

The limitations of a trial account are enough to cause most people to throw in for the minimal cost of subbing up for a month, I would think.  If just to see what they're missing in the rest of the game.

I like new player rage.  It's delicious, like human veal.  Maybe we should dump them in the recruitment channel just so we can have a little taste.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Ville wrote:

If you get trials to interact with players of the game they are more inclined to sub..

I can't count the number of people that would reply "Wait a min im going to resub im tired this limit stuff....."

something along those lines.

If there is something that encourages new players to group up or some how interact with the sub players but not be able to directly get things from other players then that would be something

I recruited a guy yesterday in General Chat, who had never heard of recruitment channel and had been playing in the game for 4 days.  I can't even count on one hand how many people go after joining our public channel.. *whew* finally some human interaction that isn't trolls in general chat.

Help channels should be updated to include the Recruitment channel.
Channel system should be reworked as an IRC-Mutant is probably not the best chat system.

Alexander wrote:

Channel system should be reworked as an IRC-Mutant is probably not the best chat system.

Please don't. The last thing someone needs when looking for actual help is to try and get recruited.

If you wish to use the help channel for recruitment then do it by helping people and being friendly. Once you are chatting with someone invite them to your own corp channel and go from there. Help should be about help (and it current is and that's good).

Nah the best thing to improve the recruitment drive would be to just rewrite the tutorials to emphasize on every possible point the awesomeness of players corps and beta stuff. And subbing.

Leave channels alone, they done nothing to you.

What's wrong with the tutorials?

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

I don't think rewriting the current model will help solve anything.   Still think new players should have immediate access to recruitment.  They can always choose to close it.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

What's wrong with the tutorials?

They are actually quite good, but they don't mention corps..

16 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-30 03:07:13)

Lana Torrin wrote:

They are actually quite good, but they don't mention corps..

This is true, they really don't cover that at all.  I suppose they should.  Really though, they didn't leave me wanting much.

Tutorial needs more pictures of big robots and explosions. They need to show the depth of the game a little better as almost all 10 stages of the tutorial involve running around and shooting stuff with a small portion of geoscanning and mining. The new level 1 assignments are good but I'd really like to see one or two level 0's for each mission type and once you've gained access to level 1 assignments I'd like to see level 0's disappear.

Alexander wrote:

Tutorial needs more pictures of big robots and explosions. They need to show the depth of the game a little better as almost all 10 stages of the tutorial involve running around and shooting stuff with a small portion of geoscanning and mining. The new level 1 assignments are good but I'd really like to see one or two level 0's for each mission type and once you've gained access to level 1 assignments I'd like to see level 0's disappear.

Oh god don't get me started on level 0 assignments.. TBH They should be the tutorial, not pointless grind before you can start the real missions.. Also a voice reading the words to you would be cool because that's just nicer in a tutorial (and almost every game these days does that).

New player experience in general needs to be a lot better before Perp gos big time, but right now, for getting you up to speed the current tutorials have a lot of info and cover the basics very well.

Lana Torrin wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Please don't. The last thing someone needs when looking for actual help is to try and get recruited.

If you wish to use the help channel for recruitment then do it by helping people and being friendly. Once you are chatting with someone invite them to your own corp channel and go from there. Help should be about help (and it current is and that's good).

I do not mean merge the channels!
I meant to say the Topic/MOTD should include link to other channels. The current tabbed chat system works for SOME things but does not work well for other things and should be separated.

Morte added  two more members to the Perp Community after they got shines dangled in front of them.  not even sure if the dust settled on the arkhes.

I'm going to keep poking at this post till it gets some response from the Devs.

Ville wrote:

I'm going to keep poking at this post till it gets some response from the Devs.

They're probably a bit busy working on getting the game more interesting for new and current players.  big_smile

I sure hope so,  I am getting tired of shooting at the same people all the time.

/poke.... keeping it alive...

25 (edited by elric 2011-09-06 23:44:34)

Do it in the agent profile.  Put in a corp recruitment tab.

Most newbs don't know about the search function ingame