Re: We Need Content

Arga wrote:

Its been almost a month since the last blog? Where are we at with the new features?

I expect the devs are on holiday - Europeans have longer summer holidays than Americans!

DaftWullie wrote:

after only 2 months my combat toon is only a week from driving a mesmer

Have fun sitting in your Mesmer (MK2) without beeing able to fit it properly, have the energy-(regen) to fire your guns and get some rep cycles off, do no damage, have no range, beeing unable to hit anythink but heavy mechs ....

True, you can SIT in one after 2 weeks ... but that's all.

And you are far FAR away from doing tier 3 or 4 NPC spawns alone (not to speak from 5 or super oberserver).

And for the low player activity ... no fun to play PC games in my catacomb with 30° and more outside tongue.

To be honest Jack: You're doing it wrong if you would have problems to kill a T3 (lolz) spawn in a Mesmer MK II with T4 fitting ... more EPs determine only how fast you can kill them.

30°C  outisde? You obviously don't mean the summer in germany...:P

If you can't fit it properly, you are not going to have it in t4 big_smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Assuming you start with Nimqol 3 PerpetuumPlanner says you need ~32 days for Nimqol 8 (which is needed for the normal Messmer), then from 8 to 10 (MK2) it takes another 63 days.
This does not include Basic and Advanced Robotics.

As I have more rounded base stats (20/20/11/9/11/10) let it be 28 days and 58 days. Both times it's much more then "2 weeks" and then you spend no singel point in CPU/Reaktor/Energy/Weapon extensions.

This includes, you do not have basic EM weapons at 5 which you need to learn advanced EM -> you can't even fit medium EMs tongue.

To do easy 3. tier mechs ... well, have fun just with small EMs, 145m optimal and no energy wink.

DaftWullie wrote:

In a few weeks when ive got the ep i'll be able to buy and t4 fit a Mesmer. Clearly the aquisition of wealth is not an issue here.

I suggest you start learning to read someones thread. He isn't talking about a Mesmer Mk II but about a Mesmer + T4 fitting. It doesn't take much EP and time to get that. Further EPs simply improve your effectivness. You get nothing new out of this play style after a short amount of time. Furthermore he mentioned the financial situation to afford such a bot: even this is fast and easy achievable.

You're going to be in a mesmer in 2 and a half months? Impressive! I have only played 2 months now and I'm pretty sure I will be in my Arbalest for at least another month and a half before I move into a mech. If I move to a mech. There is more than enough challenging PvE stuff for this solo player right now, and the Beta island sightseeing tours are on my to do list.
I only played EvE for almost 2 years and I understand the value of patience with the sandbox MMO.  Liking PO so far, cya on Nia.

Cassius wrote:

You're going to be in a mesmer in 2 and a half months? Impressive! I have only played 2 months now and I'm pretty sure I will be in my Arbalest for at least another month and a half before I move into a mech. If I move to a mech. There is more than enough challenging PvE stuff for this solo player right now, and the Beta island sightseeing tours are on my to do list.
I only played EvE for almost 2 years and I understand the value of patience with the sandbox MMO.  Liking PO so far, cya on Nia.

You're playing Perp for 2 months now and you've never been on a beta island in a cheap Arkhe to have a look around? I see where you get the impression that one has much to do in PvE ... tell that the thousand of players that aren't around anymore.

Dazamin wrote:

New Alpha content isn't going to bring in more PvPers to create that content. A good system for fighting over and controlling beta islands and making controlling them worthwhile is much more likely to bring in players who want to PvP, get involved in player corporations and build their own robot empire.

Truth. Even anti-combat Alpha-dwellers will have to admit that without constant PvP happening somewhere, nothing else in this game will be worthwhile.

Player-built structures (all destructable), terraforming (all reversible), and another dozen islands. There's you population boom. Make it buildable, they will come.

Error wrote:
Cassius wrote:

You're playing Perp for 2 months now and you've never been on a beta island in a cheap Arkhe to have a look around? I see where you get the impression that one has much to do in PvE ... tell that the thousand of players that aren't around anymore.

You are sort of missing the point. The game is what you make of it. You can rush and be in a mech w t4 guns quite quickly but not have the core skills to pilot it decently. And things like Artifact scanning, trying harder NPC spawns until you find your limit, or even manufacturing a robot using mining, refining, harvesting skills, and running Assignments ..... All are PvE and all can consume a lot of playtime. I'll do PvP really soon, my playstyle is that I prefer to be a bit skilled first and have a decent income. That's me. I just don't think "drive a mech in 2 months" is the benchmark this game should be measured by.

Patience. If PO reaches a tipping point and takes off, great. If it dies, so be it. I like it and it seems the devs have the right approach. Time will tell.

Cassius wrote:

You are sort of missing the point. The game is what you make of it.

/agree

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

I tried to make Perp-O into a sock puppet show, but Arga refused to put his hand inside one of my socks. hmm

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think a lot of folk missed the point of my original post tbh.

Everyone seems to be fixating on PvE or npc'ing or whatever but in point of fact imo npc's are one of the things that game has done very well. Compared to any other MMO I have played the npc's in this game present a genuine challenge thanks to reasonable AI and a variety of fittings and EWAR. As  I already said I like the complexity of the Industry and me and a mate are getting to grips with it, making a reaosnable profit in ammo and a few T1 stuffs and working on a knowledgebase to start making more expensive shinies.

My point about the Mesmer is that it is basically the "end game" Blue bot, excepting the mk2 which requires a horrible amount of EP into the horrible timesink *** skill that is Nuimqol control. I can already buy a T4 fit Mesmer which is the most expensive bot I can have and theoretically the most powerful combat blue bot going. Having purchased one my next purchase is, well, what? Another one for when the first goes bang?

But even thats not the point I'm trying to make.

I will be doing PvP at some point but im fairly patient and waiting till Ive got a few more EP's and a better handle on what I'm doing. But I'm thinking about what I'm gonna drive already and basically I have one choice don't I. Its gonna be an Arbalest.

I hate making Eve comparisons because I don't think these games are as similar as a lot of folk make out but I'm going to. Were I to go wandering in Eve I might take a Rifter or a Jaguar or a Rupture or a Vagabond or a Cane.

Here I've got.......the Arbalest. Possibly get away with a Kain as alledgedly theyre pretty rapid but being realistic its gonna be an Arbalest. If me and a mate go wandering it's gonna be......2 Arbalests. Or at a push an Arbalest and a Chameleon but as combat characters are completely gimped for skilling for EWAR probably not.

And after Ive fitted 5 guns and the obligatory LWF I have 5 slots to play with. So its not like I have a huge amount of choice in what i fit.

And.............oh nvm.

Nothing I say will convince anyone that im not just some impatient noob whos missed the point.

39 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-08-25 03:16:20)

You are right, there aren't to many posible fit for an Arbalest ... but 3 slots are 3 slots.
The 3 low slots from a Rifter are pritty much static too. Not many alternations with it.

And even with Geddons or Apocs where you have 7/8 low slots there aren't many choices (and many times you have fix fittings from your corp/ally you MUST use).

For the variation of bots ... the game is still fresh. If you do the comparision ... do it with EvE 2003 when it was fresh too.
Refaring to this: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Eve_Expansions Tech 2 ships had been introduced with the first BIG content update called "CASTOR" 6 month after release (and there are still missing some T2 like Tier 2 Battlecruser (Drake, Harbinger, etc)).

PS:
Most expensive Mech:
Mesmer MK2 with full T4 PROTOTYPE equip wink.
Have fun getting your hand on T4P guns and repper.

i have a hard enough time just trying to get hold of T4 gauss guns sad

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

YES YES I KNOW DOUBLE POST FAIL FAIL....
lol

DaftWullie wrote:

I think a lot of folk missed the point of my original post tbh.

Everyone seems to be fixating on PvE or npc'ing or whatever but in point of fact imo npc's are one of the things that game has done very well. Compared to any other MMO I have played the npc's in this game present a genuine challenge thanks to reasonable AI and a variety of fittings and EWAR. As  I already said I like the complexity of the Industry and me and a mate are getting to grips with it, making a reaosnable profit in ammo and a few T1 stuffs and working on a knowledgebase to start making more expensive shinies.

My point about the Mesmer is that it is basically the "end game" Blue bot, excepting the mk2 which requires a horrible amount of EP into the horrible timesink *** skill that is Nuimqol control. I can already buy a T4 fit Mesmer which is the most expensive bot I can have and theoretically the most powerful combat blue bot going. Having purchased one my next purchase is, well, what? Another one for when the first goes bang?

But even thats not the point I'm trying to make.

I will be doing PvP at some point but im fairly patient and waiting till Ive got a few more EP's and a better handle on what I'm doing. But I'm thinking about what I'm gonna drive already and basically I have one choice don't I. Its gonna be an Arbalest.

I hate making Eve comparisons because I don't think these games are as similar as a lot of folk make out but I'm going to. Were I to go wandering in Eve I might take a Rifter or a Jaguar or a Rupture or a Vagabond or a Cane.

Here I've got.......the Arbalest. Possibly get away with a Kain as alledgedly theyre pretty rapid but being realistic its gonna be an Arbalest. If me and a mate go wandering it's gonna be......2 Arbalests. Or at a push an Arbalest and a Chameleon but as combat characters are completely gimped for skilling for EWAR probably not.

And after Ive fitted 5 guns and the obligatory LWF I have 5 slots to play with. So its not like I have a huge amount of choice in what i fit.

And.............oh nvm.

Nothing I say will convince anyone that im not just some impatient noob whos missed the point.

(tolling turned off)

im really glad you have come to see how much this game isnt like eve. smile well done. im gonna agree with you in part at least.

the Arbalest MK1 i agree 100% its a good little bot to roam in but really not that flexible. However the Mk2 version u get an extra leg & head slot. doesnt sound like much but u can do some nifty things with it i feel.

The kain is a good mech its fast & has good DPS BUT i think to be good at it in small fast gangs you need a good amount of EP.

As for the mesmer... get a MK2 if you want uber tongue & T4P fit it. they hurt like hell yes but they can be killed i have seen it happen b4. but much respect has to be shown it.
This how ever will change when destroyers come into the game.

(Troll on)

whats the matter ? you want the perfect pvp bot that is cheap to build & fit?

wink

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue