Topic: Observer Possie

So last night I was out and running around doing my thing and I spied an Superior Observer doing his thing and coming right for me.. Being in a Cameleon I ran for it, right toward another roaming mob of a 4th Star Mesmer, 2x 4th Star Kains, 3x 4th Star Arbs and 2x 4th Star Cameleons. Avoiding instant death by hiding behind a hill I watched as the 2 groups joined up and walked with each other down a highway for 30 mins.. After that they went their separate ways, but left me sitting there in fear..

After cleaning up the inside of my bot, I thought to myself, this really should be what observers are all about. Fear..

Right now you can pretty much solo all observers if you have good skills. They aren't even THAT hard (ok, superiors are a bit hard) and the 4th star mob running around would have been a lot harder to solo with a smaller reward. So why don't observers have a possie of other mechs and ewar bots? This group when it was together would have been a tough nut to crack for a small gang, but not impossible, and would have given a great reward.. Why cant they run around with friends more often?

So I guess the proposal is to add a mob with observers, preferably with the mob tier being pseudo-random (grands could have tier 2 and 3 mechs and bots, superiors could have tier 3 and 4 mechs and bots, with the number of heavy mechs, light mechs, assaults and light bots being random between 1 and 4). This would *** some much needed difficulty to observers and a lot of variation in the random spawns.

TL;DR: Observers need to be harder, just add a mob.

Re: Observer Possie

Observers are only "easy" at the moment because once you go faster than them and have more range than them it doesn't matter how long it takes to kill.

Well, Alexander thats only true, because those observers do not use their Armor repair if you stay out of a certain range.

If the DEVs fix that,  bye bye solo farming observer.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Well, Alexander thats only true, because those observers do not use their Armor repair if you stay out of a certain range.

And what is this range? I killed quite a lot of them ... using range most of the time. I can tell you: they repair themselves indeed. Either they're bugged and some of them use their repper while others do not or there are different types of observers out there. Some tanky fitted/scripted and some for damage.

the ones i met only repaired a tiny bit, sometimes,
nothing worth to mention.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The Pestial Observer I killed last night repped the whole time. Reparied a full Artemis 200% volley every 3rd cycle. I was kiting him, so he was locking/unlocking the whole fight. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Annihilator wrote:

And hello to multibox solo observer farming instead.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Give them 2km range. LET THE PUNISHMENT BEGIN!

/is tots srs/

ahhh come on you guys.  PVE is already the least profitable thing to do in Perp.  This game rewards sitting in a safe spot staring at dirt more than risking your t4 fit arby to try and kill an NPC.  Get PVE rewards up and better nests to farm; more of them and closer to outposts, then worry about how scary an "Observer's posse" should be.

But I do like to run into fear inspiring rats!
+1 but make PVE profitable first.

10 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-23 16:56:24)

There are discussions elsewhere in the forum about the worthiness of PvE as a means of entertainment over PvP.  Valid arguments are being kicked back and forth, but there's a wide rift between PvP and PvE player populations just as there is in any other game that attempts to appeal to both camps.

What I presume will happen is that the community will eventually polarize.  The results will invariably be a large but fairly quiet PvE subculture and a vocal but smaller PvP subculture.  I'd hazard a guess that there'll be about 1 person in Beta per 4 in alpha.  I doubt highly that distribution exists in Perp-O just yet as early MMO adopters tend to lean a tad more towards PvP than the mainstream crowd does.

Anyway, getting around to the point, I agree that PvE aspects of the game, while adequate, could use some expansion efforts.  I have faith in the development team to deliver the goods in upcoming game patches.  They know their audience better than we do or could estimate since they have the ability to capture metrics from their systems to determine what people are or aren't doing.  They also probably have a long-term vision of where the game will be in a few years.  That plan probably includes some sweet PvE loving.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Takeo Prime wrote:

This game rewards sitting in a safe spot staring at dirt .

The difference here is that you actually have to sell the ore to make profit, so your profits are not in any way guarneteed. The NPC buy orders for reactor plasma ensure a min. income from PVE farming, which if you ask a serious farmer, is actually more profitable then mining (at least until you get into Riv MK II with 200% yeilds and/or 3 or 4 alts accounts mining).

but as johnny says, its better to look at things to do in Perp based on 'fun' then profit, because in the end NIC it self has no value, only what you can buy with it.

I do recall saying something about that.  It bears (re)mention.

This is a game.  You're playing it to have fun, I hope.  Screw making NIC.  That comes along all by itself just like getting more EP.  MMOs are made in such a way that even the least involved, worthless bum can make a living for themselves.  It's literally impossible to fail so stop sweating the small stuff and get out there to have fun.