Topic: Telescopes (aka "Zoom in")

Just seems odd that high tech mechs can't really see all that far. The ability to zoom in would, I think, enhance a number of play-styles' experience:

• Mobs are easy to see on radar from a significant distance, through mountains and obstacles. This isn't the case for plants. Harvesters might appreciate the ability to climb a hill and take a longer, closer look around the terrain.

• Would add a second, inferior layer of info for scouts. Sure you can see that there' a small group of mechs way off in the distance but whose are they? and are there any more behind that building?.

Well, maybe that's all. hmm

Other notes: Since it's just a zoom on regular vision, it would be susceptible to fog, low light and obstacles. This adds more depth to its use as a scouting tool, and would provide additional tactical options for squad defense (certain terrain will be better vs. this). It doesn't enable landmarks or put things on the map. If a scout is to report, they have to use visual ques only for bot-types and interpret the terrain on their own to give locations/ranges.

Other options (take all or some as preferred): Make it a module, slow down mouselook when in use, different types to mitigate interference (nightvision vs. dark, thermal vs. fog), thermal/nightvision are that type only (i.e. need different modules for each type), variable zoom, old-school black binocular vignette for zoomed views, some visual cue that makes opposing scopers able recognize each other as scopers (bonus pts. if the bot actually looks like it's standing up and using a telescope. And with a big eye on the end like in cartoons! tongue )

Thanks for reading!

Re: Telescopes (aka "Zoom in")

This appeals to my peeping tom side.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

loogs good ... +1 from me. I am missing the Look at feature from EVE, this could substitute it very nicely.

Why not.

+1 good for spotting taters

seems like a great idea +1

I was thinking of something similar, echo sounding or sonar much like bats or a submarine uses to locate object distance, size  and direction much further than the bots 'eyes'can see. This should give subtle clues for balancing game mechanics and depending on player's actual skill on how best to use it.

RIP PERPETUUM

Good idea if used as a module,

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Mechwarrior 3 implemented a targeting reticle zoom feature where a small portion of the screen would be magnified when in zoomed mode.  Okay, so your PoV was from inside the 'Mech cockpit which certainly isn't how Perp-O works, but the feature was impressive at the time the game went to market.  Screenshot below demonstrates the feature in-game.

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/mw3dem … /page1.jpg

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

+1 for any visual aid

how about an old "Tribes" feature where a deploy-able camera can be set down (has to be accessed from an internal window by who deployed of it)....yes it can be killed but ohhh what stratagy that would bring to the table big_smile

but please avoid anything that might cause a lag fest as Perp grows and zooming in and out by hundreds of pilots crawls the fps to a "why bother" pace.

Was that feature in the first Tribes game?  It's been a while and I didn't play anything past the first one.  Off the top, I can't recall there being a deployable camera.

makes sense to me +1