Topic: OBSERVER CITADEL ISLAND

Hey peeps. Just a thought and by no means do i expect that this is completely thought through or work invovled but more of a MIX bag event. Hopefully there is some substance to the idea.

OBSERVER CITADEL
GAMMA ISLAND ---- NO TERMINAL NO OUTPOSTS
PVP ISLAND
COMBAT INTENSE (OBS SPAWNS)
ONLY ENTER WITH CITADEL ACCESS TELEPORT
ONLY RETURN BY BEING DESTROYED OR ARTIFACT SCANNING A RETURN BEACON DEVICE (HIGH CHANCE FIND)

ARTIFACT SCANNING ((RACE)SALVAGE III)
KEY ACCESS TELEPORT DEVICE <CATD>
Low Drop rate

TELEPORT RULES: OWNER OF TELEPORT DEPLOYS: ONLY THOSE IN SQUAD CAN USE IT : ONLY 60SEC OPERATIONAL TIME

ONCE TELEPORT Activated 3 possible locations are picked at random for all members of squad.

THIS ISLAND IS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH.

OBSERVERS ONLY ON ISLAND STRONG ROAMING PRESENCE
MINING FIELDS ARE LARGE BUT HARD TO MAINTAIN A GROUP MINE DUE TO OBS PRESENCE AND OR OTHER PLAYERS. MINING/HARVESTING ACTUALLY ATTRACT OBSERVERS
NINJA MINING ONLY REAL CHANCE OF SUCESS

ARTIFACT SCANS DROP CT's MK2 AND CT's FOR MODULES AND PROTYPES CAN BE FOUND.
SCANS ARE ALL III NO NEED FOR OBS STASH OR INFESTATIONS BUT DEPENDS ON DIFICULTY COULD BE ADDED.

--------------------------------------
Ok side notes observers will never be on their own just like spawns on current islands but caravans and roamers will have lots of support these are more like guards or sentries if you catch there attention you might want to pray. if people are going to try and farm these bots they need huge squad and superior equipment and skills.

Lightbot observer - Seekers high speed trackers will hunt and hunt till your caught or they are dead. Fast dangerous and extremely unrelenting if they see you they will chase instantly. 1300m sight range. kill them or die. if a seeker gets to its optimal range it will demob speed to 0 (NO ECM)  unless its killed it will automatically spawn 2 assualts 2 mechs 2 heavy mechs after 100sec of demob for destruction.

To get off this island you need to find a teleport return beacon this would be again only accessible by user and squad members this can normally be found in any artifact scan

SO PRIORITIES ARE SQUAD AND BOTS TO USE
FIND A KEY TO GET BACK FIRST
DONT DIE
REAP THE REWARDS
LEAVE.

Re: OBSERVER CITADEL ISLAND

I like.

This Is Your Mother Speaking.

i like too

+1

Good stuff. I might change a few things due to personal taste, but I'm very in favour of there always being parts of Nia that even the best players and biggest corps are terrified of. And when those are finally conquered and tamed, we should find that they lead to even scarier places.

6 (edited by Arga 2011-08-16 18:39:19)

Why add PVE that is a challenge for Large corps? PVP, which is more challenging then PVE will ever be, is a better fit for large corps and have PVE for small groups and solo players.

Observer Island translates into "Fast Research Island" for large corps.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 25 man raiding in WoW, and I would probably form up a corporation specifically to go out and run something like this. The problem is more that PVP is kind of weak right now, and adding in another distraction for corps that are large enough to be doing beta PVP (living there) is just going to make PVP worse (less participation).

Looks like a wormhole class 5 to me ...

Arilou wrote:

Good stuff. I might change a few things due to personal taste, but I'm very in favour of there always being parts of Nia that even the best players and biggest corps are terrified of. And when those are finally conquered and tamed, we should find that they lead to even scarier places.

Who says were scared of that. Have you been to a beta lately. Observers are roaving around in packs as well as top tier roaming spawns. What we really need is a place where there's no outposts but we need to use player built and run structures be them post like from eve or walkers/mobile mini outposts.

Give us *** we actually have to skill for build then use and lose. Not something we just need to die a lot perfecting. Make gamma islands terraformable too so we can make the m2s thunderdome around the teleporter onto the island and farm the people as they teleport in and shooting down a firey death upon them.

9 (edited by Arilou 2011-08-16 20:42:23)

Arga wrote:

Things and such

Good points.

There is the possibility that the end result would be much cheaper bots and equipment, resulting in a reduced cost to PvP, increased acceptance of silly losses, and thus more PvP overall. That this might be limited to the largest corps is problematic.

Also, PvPers still have to find ways to fund themselves. It's at least as likely that these islands would replace time spent farming lesser NPCs and artifacting. Most PvPers will PvP as often as they can afford to, regardless of how challenging PvE options are. I'd wager the added variety is a net benefit, even if some do reduce their PvP time.

Edit:

Kamikazie wrote:

Who says were scared of that. Have you been to a beta lately. Observers are roaving around in packs as well as top tier roaming spawns.

The tone of the post seemed to emphasize the danger and risk of the proposed islands, enough that the best approach would be smash and grab as opposed to establishing an extended presence. So if you're not scared of the exact proposal, boost the difficulty until you are. And by "scared" I just mean that anyone would really want to take time and prepare for an excursion, that costly losses would be guaranteed. But naturally the benefits would be worthwhile, and mitigating those losses would significantly boost the upsides.

Arga wrote:

Why add PVE that is a challenge for Large corps? PVP, which is more challenging then PVE will ever be, is a better fit for large corps and have PVE for small groups and solo players.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 25 man raiding in WoW, and I would probably form up a corporation specifically to go out and run something like this. The problem is more that PVP is kind of weak right now, and adding in another distraction for corps that are large enough to be doing beta PVP (living there) is just going to make PVP worse (less participation).

The reason to add high risk PVE for whatever group wants to run it, is because it adds predictability to combat.  To know what you will encounter or at least have a good idea of what will be there and that lets you group up and be aware of what you will encounter.

PVP although as you accurately said, is more challenging for solid larger groups, it is in fact not always available or predictable enough to do at this stage.  I dont think this would be a distraction and could pull groups off of the Betas for a period of time and encourage some smaller Beta roams for Alpha dweller.

+1 for Evil PVE island wink

Arga wrote:

Because some people want to do something that is a challenge but doesn't involve real players on the other side.  Believe it or not, some of us feel that PvP is a waste of effort and no amount of incentive can sway that opinion.  Consider the desolation of PvP areas in that other game and you'll understand the lack of broad appeal that it holds.

Arga wrote:

Or a "Fast Research Island" for dedicated elite small corps that hunt smartly.

Arga wrote:

No offence, but 25 man raids turn into efforts in kitten herding, even when you're -not- slumming it with PUGs.  And doing it for six hours at a time?  Personally, I'd rather drop a deuce or maybe go get roaring drunk than deal with those after max level gear grinds.

Of course PvP is weak at the moment.  It's weak because it has somewhat limited appeal.  (see above, think empty nullsec)  That's probably not going to really change much as alpha-huggers will far outnumber beta residents if the player distribution in other games is an example of the general MMO population distribution.  I assert that such is the case.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

dislike it for the fact that "observers" turned out to be something completely different that the intention behind them.
They should be lone roaming npcs, observing the islands, as tough "champions", spicing up the PvE part. Not beeing the fast-research-farming target for corps.

The system fails here the same way as it does with t4 equipment....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

My pet peeve with PVE content is that its only fun to beat the script so many times before it turns into "hey lets go farm <insert gear/kernel/x>".

I think the game could prosper a lot more if some CREATION content was added. Terraforming, base-building, highway-building, w/e. That way every island would be unique as it would be designed by the people living on it, and the state of the improvements would reflect on the strenght of its residents to defend their assets.

Key thing would be to structure it so that you can't just trololo-destroy other people's structures with 5-10 light bots or w/e. When the new intrusion system goes in, heavy mechs will be even more phased out because of low speed/response time. Perhaps that could be their role?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Of course PvP is weak at the moment.  It's weak because it has somewhat limited appeal.  (see above, think empty nullsec)  That's probably not going to really change much as alpha-huggers will far outnumber beta residents if the player distribution in other games is an example of the general MMO population distribution.  I assert that such is the case.

For this reason, I really really wish AC would take a hard line on the boundaries of Alpha. Explicitly define them as newbie zones and not just safe zones. Then it's perfectly natural for things to be much better and more developed in Beta (which would be explicitly defined as Perpetuum proper) and the playerbase would evolve to suit that reality. Alpha zones can remain tiny (I'd prefer that even Alpha 2s become Beta) since it is expected by everyone that they're only there to let the nubs read 2 words of a tutorial w/o dying to a kaneswarm, not to provide a permanent home for the risk-averse.

I realize throwing anti-PvP types a bone will probably mean more subs, but it will forever play a huge part in determining the character of the game and player distribution (for both, see EVE).

That's not to say there should be no PvE, just no PvE without the ever-present risk of PvP. That right there cranks up the challenge and intensity of farming even the weakest spawns.

Syndic wrote:

My pet peeve with PVE content is that its only fun to beat the script so many times before it turns into "hey lets go farm <insert gear/kernel/x>".

Very much agreed. It is possible to script something that simply cannot be beaten by players, though. If the proposed islands involved a constantly increasing opposition, such that any player force would eventually be driven off, then time spent farming would always be dependent on skill rather than one's tolerance for boredom.

Thanks for the input guys it just goes to show there is a variety of issues with my concept. Being able to see what suits everyones taste and then appling a happy will never be easy "never please 100% of people 100% of the time" that goes without saying my original thoughts were not to make this island a PVP zone however that in itself cause issues. Although if the difficulty was ramped up with this invite players from all corps to work together or create a need for greed. Always hard to establish a fitting scenerio. But i do think we need a little more depth to what we already have in PO for it to survive the long haul.

damn stop calling the game PO....

see the official statement here

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

sounds like a nice idea, with perhaps some tweaking

/signed

Affiliated with CIR, Not actively playing, not neutral

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Annihilator wrote:

damn stop calling the game PO....

see the official statement here

That information doesn't explicitly rule out PO as a common usage shortened name for the game.  Personally, I sort of prefer PerpO.  It makes me feel a bit like I'm calling it Purple, which is indeed one of the best colours in the world.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/