Re: linux is like ...?

linux is like... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098987/quotes?qt0158335

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Windows 3.1

hmmm

Linux with a GUI is like throwing a giant body kit on a strangely fuel efficient, ultra rugged, off-road vehicle.  All of a sudden, the features that sold you on owning it are gone and you're left with yet another ho-hum OS that hogs up resources.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

that's an age old one from the 2.0 kernel days ...

currently linux has no competition if you are able to invest some time in learning. if not, stay on a MAC. if you want to game, buy a console. there's realy no place for Windows except if you need Office.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

currently linux has no competition if you are able to invest some time in learning. if not, stay on a MAC. if you want to game, buy a console. there's realy no place for Windows except if you need Office.

brb, installing Perpetuum on the TV. wink

Hugh Ruka wrote:

currently linux has no competition

http://www.freebsd.org/

Not an OS purist, by any means, just sayin'...

10 (edited by Xyberviri 2011-08-04 16:09:03)

Glowingwind wrote:
Hugh Ruka wrote:

currently linux has no competition

http://www.freebsd.org/

Not an OS purist, by any means, just sayin'...

Actually Linux has so much competition it not only competes with Windows or Mac BSD(OSX) but also itself.

Linux is like a MMO that gives the players the ability to make a clan, where windows and mac put you in one to begin with.

11 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-04 16:42:38)

Hugh Ruka wrote:

Microsoft Office is available for Apple computers.  It has been for around a decade.  That whole relationship started, IIRC, when MS pulled Apple away from bankruptcy in 1997 with a cash investment.  I believe that was in exchange for them dropping the whole GUI theft claim.  You know, the idea that Apple stole from Xerox a few years earlier.  smile

So anyway, a Mac can do all that crap, but I'd not stick my mother with a *inx OS when she has no desire to tinker and doesn't have to carry around a iProduct to impress her friends with how enlightened or trendy she's suddenly become.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

lol yeah i dont think my grandma could use linux, she isn't going to buy a mac with its luxury tax

Budget Windows-loaded hardware remains the most common equipment leaving retailer/e-tailer shelves.  Whether that's good or bad in your mind probably depends which corporate campfire you like to roast marshmallows over.  In the case of non-commericalized Linux people, of course, everyone knows that most of us don't know what fire is nor do we understand why anyone could be bothered going outside to begin with when pizza is delivered to your front door, leaving us to merely ascend the stairs from the basement to fetch it.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

You know, the idea that Apple stole from Xerox a few years earlier.

This is true.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

So anyway, a Mac can do all that crap, but I'd not stick my mother with a *inx OS when she has no desire to tinker...

Linux user-friendly desktop distributions have made much progress, in the last few years. The main problem with it is still the occasional dependency hell. But, just like MacOS X GUIs and linux platform can be used without ever having to be force to use a CLI. Apt-get updates can be setup automatically, easily enough, combined with the "Tech Support for Geeks' Relatives" type of gift cards that I would have bought my own mother, if she hadn't fallen for Apple's (admittedly brilliant) marketing strategies. It's kind of sick, but you have to admire at some level their success in creating their brand as a status symbol for yuppies. I can't stand Apple, personally, but almost completely because of their draconian DRM and policies. As result, even after growing up on Apple //'s and Macs, I haven't touched their blighted products, since System 7.

That being said, there's only some much I can do with an Edubuntu-like distro though, for even my own toddler. It's clear that touchscreen interfaces are vastly more intuitive for small children; they are still developing their own gross-motor skills. So, I'll probably end up succumbing to the dark-side, come this x-mas, as so many developers have focused on iPad applications; Android tablets have been too late to the game.

Glow

Linux is like.. PS3 or android or...  holy *** anything that isn't a full blown pc. I like my Windows 7 pc and my android and my PS3.

There is no need for a winner, the world is better with choices. :-)

Glowingwind wrote:

Linux user-friendly desktop distributions have made much progress, in the last few years. The main problem with it is still the occasional dependency hell. But, just like MacOS X GUIs and linux platform can be used without ever having to be force to use a CLI. Apt-get updates can be setup automatically, easily enough, combined with the "Tech Support for Geeks' Relatives" type of gift cards that I would have bought my own mother, if she hadn't fallen for Apple's (admittedly brilliant) marketing strategies. It's kind of sick, but you have to admire at some level their success in creating their brand as a status symbol for yuppies. I can't stand Apple, personally, but almost completely because of their draconian DRM and policies. As result, even after growing up on Apple //'s and Macs, I haven't touched their blighted products, since System 7.

That being said, there's only some much I can do with an Edubuntu-like distro though, for even my own toddler. It's clear that touchscreen interfaces are vastly more intuitive for small children; they are still developing their own gross-motor skills. So, I'll probably end up succumbing to the dark-side, come this x-mas, as so many developers have focused on iPad applications; Android tablets have been too late to the game.

Honestly, the job of the OS is to provide a functional framework for applications.  It's the applications themselves that represent the system's reason to exist to begin with.  In that sense, the OS should execute a program and otherwise stay out of the way.  The fact that they've become something bigger is a disappointment.  Graphical interfaces, value added functionality, and all that rot are extra fluff that gets integrated into an OS package so that the product can meet competitors' checkbox lists of features.  For me, give me a command line and get out of my way.  I'll figure out the rest.  Of course that mindset doesn't work for many people which is part of the reason why we now have operating systems that require a billion bytes of RAM to open a stinking 23 KB .CSV file, yet still have to maintain swap space on a primary hard disk. roll

As far as Apple is concerned, I'm partial to their chassis design with the exception of the fact that batteries are generally stuffed inside the system someplace where I can't remove them without voiding out a warranty.  Regarding their closed software ecosystem, it works for some people, but clearly isn't for everyone.  If their hardware was more affordable, I'd be tempted to pick up a MBP or MBA, strip out their version of Unix then dual boot Windows and Linux.  On the other hand, I've gone the Hackintosh route with a Dell Mini 10 for amusement (needed more than 1 GB of RAM, but the Mini 10 is passively cooled so it worked well as an actual laptop that you really could use in your lap without heat concerns...not that the cooling has anything to do with the OS)  The only aspect of Apple products that really bothers me is the mindset of the fandom.  Then again, worship of any electronics and computer manufacturer strikes me as silly.

Glowingwind wrote:
Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

You know, the idea that Apple stole from Xerox a few years earlier.

This is true.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

So anyway, a Mac can do all that crap, but I'd not stick my mother with a *inx OS when she has no desire to tinker...

Glow

all linux distros are missing critical applications (give me one hardware overview/configurator for X that actualy works) in the setup and maintenance department. we have a lot of packaging/software distribution tools that work perfectly but it ends there.

even a kernel profiler for the installed hardware is MIA (at least I don't know of any). like an application that looks at your HW, asks a few questions and builds a kernel config for you. no more navigating menu/xconfig and trying to figure out stupid dependencies that are 3 menu levels apart.

as for apple, they realy do concentrate on the initial package working out of the box for everything they want you to do. but that ends there. because they pick what they want you to do based on what they want to sell to you later :-)) but the GUI design is great.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

...but the GUI design is great.

Graphical interfaces eat processor cycles I could be using for other stuff. sad