Re: Cargo Capacity Extender Modules

Your intentions are obvious Johnny, you want to AFK harvest in your Kain, but the cargo is too small... admit it.

Arga wrote:

Your intentions are obvious Johnny, you want to AFK harvest in your Kain, but the cargo is too small... admit it.

How did you get here so fast?  I -knew- you'd be lurking in this thread!

Really though, Kains are combat bots.  I need no such overcompensation, thanks.  *hikes up trousers*  In reality, I'd just like a greater degree of fitting flexibility.  A base increase across the board (I've thought a bit about it) would be nice, but that's a "free" boost for everyone.  No, cargo capacity should come at a trade off for something else.

And really, I'd just like to find something useful to do with the two non-weapon chassis slots on my Larid and (OMG HE BOUGHT INTO TRAP CARD'S PROPAGANDA!!!) the Argano.  Right now, the industrial slots are pretty much useless to me since they end up just staying largely empty.  Why even have them? hmm

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

You can put neut's and drainers in those slots. Of course, NPC's are immune to those, but it will give you something to click on while your single small gun is slowly killing (exercising his repper I mean) the grand observer.

Dev C is out in force looking for troll threads >.> Better add something constructive.

Haulers are OK, combat bots won't waste slots on expanders, so that leaves gathering bots.

I don't think there's a reasonable size cargo expander that would make it worth fitting, and it would go in a leg slot, not a body slot. Not to mention the CPU/Reactor useage which is already limited on small bots, would make any kind of expander diffictult to fit.

But, that still leaves the utility class bot, the Arkhe MK II ...

WE NEED MORE HARD DRIVE SPACE!!!!

->You just lost The Game<-

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

I can't imagine that it hasn't been mentioned before

*hums*
"Imagine there's dupe topics
It isn't hard to do"

31 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-01 22:12:29)

Arga wrote:

You can put neut's and drainers in those slots. Of course, NPC's are immune to those, but it will give you something to click on while your single small gun is slowly killing (exercising his repper I mean) the grand observer.

Bah, I'd rather fit something useful to my cause rather than accessorize with pretty, but non-functional fittings.  One might like to think that the added endurance in various scenarios would let one roam freely for longer.  Such lengthier diversions away from the trappings of an outpost or terminal would, I think, add to that so-called "pioneering spirit" that exploration and discovery in a bold new world permit.  Then again, let's get past idealism of extended roams and get to the basic brass and tacks of your response.

Arga wrote:

Dev C is out in force looking for troll threads >.> Better add something constructive.

It seems like Zoom did indeed do something with it, but not in a way that met your expectations.  I won't humor the prodding aside from mentioning that there's a classic, logical fallacy somewhere in the line above, probably due to a weak set of actual counter-arguments.  We needn't flog that horse though.

Arga wrote:

Haulers are OK, combat bots won't waste slots on expanders, so that leaves gathering bots.

Haulers, as I've already pointed out, are perfectly adequate at doing their jobs without further modification.  They're even passable, yet suboptimal stand-ins for other chores.  Drop by and park a bot next to my harvesting Sequer to watch the vegatative version of erosion in action.

Arga wrote:

I don't think there's a reasonable size cargo expander that would make it worth fitting, and it would go in a leg slot, not a body slot. Not to mention the CPU/Reactor useage which is already limited on small bots, would make any kind of expander diffictult to fit.

I'm not too concerned about what is or isn't "reasonable" in size.  This is an idea farm, not an implementation meeting.  The development team that understands the game mechanics, database interface, and relevant code are probably in a better position to determine where things belong and at what cost they should come at.

Slot location doesn't much matter really since we're talking about symantecs at this point.  Why should armor that covers, probably the entire "body" of a bot belong in a "leg" location?  My throw-out idea is to use chassis hardpoints to add the potential for visually interesting attachments and to come at an easily measured cost by taking away potential firepower from a combat bot or mission capabilities from an industrial bot.  It'd also inherently limit the ability of an already adequate hauler to "load up" on cargo expansion when they really have quite enough space already.

DEV Zoom wrote:

*hums*
"Imagine there's dupe topics
It isn't hard to do"

The cargo-fu is strong in this new (old) thread!

Edit...typos!  >.<

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

OMG you Roger'ed me .. i mean that in both the fourm and english sense

Who Framed Roger Rabbit!  Jessica Rabbit...someone should have stuffed that strumpet into Bennie the Cab's trunk.  It would only have been appropriate and the film would have been far more amusing.

Mk2 industrial mechs should get a 30% cargo capacity gain, or even 50% (removing the added slots) so that they're worth having beyond bait tank.

BugSplat wrote:

Mk2 industrial mechs should get a 30% cargo capacity gain, or even 50% (removing the added slots) so that they're worth having beyond bait tank.

That's really not such a bad thought.  The mk2 indy bots really didn't strike me as a worthwhile improvement over their cheaper brethren.  Give me a Larid or Argano mk2 with 10 - 11 U cargo and I might just be interested in buying one.

I like the weapon slot cargo container idea. I have an unused turret slot on my waspish atm ... would welcome a 1U module to hold ammo.

Hugh, an Ammo Expansion module isn't a bad idea,it would increase the capacity of each weapon slot by a % amount per tier. giving you more sustained firepower and free up a portion of carge space.

Making it an weapon or misc. slot item means that it could also increase mining, harvesting, interference, artillary, ect.

Small, Med variety that only increases capacity of the appropriate sized module. And don't make it unique.

There you go then.  Hugh and I are bumping into about the same conclusion.  An otherwise unused chassis slot would be a fantastic place for a cargo pod.  They could be scaled accordingly as (just tossing out numbers here) 1U for a small and 2U for a medium module.

I'm certain they'd be useful as attachments to my argano when artifact hunting or my larid when mowing down drones to help keep me away from the terminal a bit longer.

Anything that will allow me to spend less time hauling stuff is wanted smile