Topic: Chainsaws, Flamethrowers and Electric Whips!

Violence at close range, the best kind of violence!

I'd like the game to add in some fun new features for hot robot on robot action. Charging up to an enemy bot and rending him limb from limb with a chainsaw, or zapping her into immobility with a whip or just straight out lighting the *** ground on fire with flamethrowers would be awesome.

PVP wise, it'd be hilariously awesome to see. I'm sure if I thought about it for a while I could come up with some sort of rational need for it, but mostly I want to chainsaw and whip other people's robots. I feel that this is sufficient cause to advocate for the inclusion of melee weapons in game.

Re: Chainsaws, Flamethrowers and Electric Whips!

why so complicated? give me arms on my heavy mech that i can actually use (grab that castels had and rip it off big_smile)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Only if us spider bot lovers can crawl up the back of mechs and skull *** their optical sensors out.

+1 for face-huggers big_smile

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

I am all for MVS swords :-)

6 (edited by Alexadar 2011-08-03 12:12:28)

Give chainsaws for artemises. They are waiting for it.

Give me a giant axe so I can create an Axeman™ call myself Adam Steiner and begin battling Clan Jade Falcon to retake my home planet of Somerset...oh wait, that's been done before.

Anyway, melee BDSM for teh win!!!  +1

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

8 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-08-03 17:16:06)

I doubt I'm the only one who wants to run around yelling "stop, hammerbot!"

Melee is totally plausible in this game, and would be pretty freaking cool. Hot bot on bot action simply cannot be resisted!

Edit:

Alright so I'll add some serious thinking to this. Imagine that melee gear is super light and cap efficient, and a micro teleport module is added that lets you warp to a target a couple hundred meters away, but on a hefty cooldown. Low slot module so that you have to give up tank for it, and fairly heavy so that you aren't nearly so mobile.

Imagine the battlefield. Sniper fit bots getting warped on by melee bots that hack them up, friendly melee counter dropping or charging over to support, death causing severe pain to all. Melee fit light tackle rushing and demobbing the enemy, or getting pinned down behind rocks by heavy fire.

The big thing here is you end up with fun tactical decisions and a new style of combat without invalidating the speedy gank mindset or the gun mindset. You also make it harder for the evenetual use of artillery to be super effective by creating a much more heavily mixed battlefield.

Finally you'd have something freaking epic for vids.

This thread delivers.  Made me lol so hard at work everyone gave me a funny look.

+1 for universal Melee weapons.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

"We jumped in behind their lines, and our guns tore them apart... It's like I was there"

Sounds like a familiar tactic. big_smile

I'm sure folks think I included the whips for robobondage, but there's actually a decent idea behind it.

Chainsaws would be straight up awesome looking damage. They ignore some resists but aren't as effective against shields.

Whips are good at shield smackdown, less effective against armor but increase the cooldown on weapons used by target.

Flamethrowers are area denial weapons. You target a bot and cause general damage, or you target the ground and create a flame wall that damages stuff walking through it.

Hammers and such could have other fun powers, like a small chance of total immobilization.

Arga wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

"We jumped in behind their lines, and our guns tore them apart... It's like I was there"

Sounds like a familiar tactic. big_smile

"They had long range firepower, but it didn't mean *** when we swarmed them with *** CHAINSAWS ***!!!!"

I don't care who you are or what you do. You will buy a game with chainsaw and flamethrower wielding robots. It's a universal law of humanity.

Look at Dawn of War. The dreadnought, a flamethrower and fisting robot of doom. Chainswords. No whips though, the crucial mistake.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

The dreadnought, a flamethrower and fisting robot of doom.

You're my hero!

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

And poisoned plasma axe plox!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

A random thought, Perp shouldn't implement the whip without a dedicated dominatrix bot to use it.  Something in black leather with spike heels.

Perp devs need to develop this, then invent a time machine and give it to us earlier, because this idea is so good it should release with the game.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back to 1982.

Uncle Rico: Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.
Kip: Are you serious?
Uncle Rico: I'm dead serious.
Uncle Rico: How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

light saber... is all i ask. GIVE THE JEDI THEIR SWORD ! tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

light saber... is all i ask. GIVE THE JEDI THEIR SWORD ! tongue

I think those will be in some other game.  Though a chainsword would make me have a fap-fest over my keyboard.  Once again...some other game...hmm...sensing a trend here.

Perp needs melee bots like I suggested because A it would be awesome and B it would be awesome.

I mean, can you imagine how ridiculously cool the videos would be? Bots chainsawing one another, flamethrowers going nuts, groups of bots teleporting in. Mmm, delicious.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

I'm sure folks think I included the whips for robobondage

I approve of this.  yarr

+1

I'll also add giant tasers, flack shotguns, and EMP AoE blasts.

Won't be effective without PvP collision, though.

Well reading this i instantly remembered Metal Masters !!!!

You like 10 meters long powersaw? 5 tons hammers ? Look at this, and sorry for my oldschoolness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krWZyw0Y … re=related

+1 for melee weapons. My 2 cents it to make them untargeted, all you have to do is select the appropriate bot on landmarks and engage weapon if they are in range or somethin like that.