Re: Any chance of a /respec account option?

we have seen the last few days, that the EP mechanic is one of the most sensible ones ingame.

thats why im sensible about a "just" in any argumentation.

its just a matter of a wrong placed code, and the whole game is ragequitting, not only those who didnt read the infos before creating their agent.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

I'm not really thrilled with the fact EP is shared throughout the account in the first place. If this wasn't the case it might not be such a big deal I think. Since that isn't going to change..we do need a respec option. Either have it cost an *** load or as someone else suggested, you can click the skill you want to get rid of and it regresses over time and you gain that EP back.

I have purchased a 1 year account, I screwed up my character by choosing the wrong attributes and spending the 20k ep. There ISNT any warning about limiting 20k ep for the whole account, what am I supposed to do now?

29 (edited by Jerokane 2010-11-30 08:36:53)

Mechamind wrote:

I have purchased a 1 year account, I screwed up my character by choosing the wrong attributes and spending the 20k ep. There ISNT any warning about limiting 20k ep for the whole account, what am I supposed to do now?

Outch man! That hurts.

Luckily I only bought a 4 day trial first. I never buy a full game again if I don't have to. Been burned on new MMO's so many times now. That I try trials first.

This case I only lost 3 dollars and just created a new account.

But this all shouldn't be necessary.

I am actually very very suprised that this hasn't come up during beta?  Or were those people flamed to death by the vocal minority by bringing this up?  (wouldn't even suprise me to be honest)

This NEEDS to be looked into.

And like I said. Simple solution would be for them to change it so, that 20.000 "start" EP is bound to a created character.
So new players have the ability to try the game out and screw up without having to worry.

A game should be FUN! That is all that matters!

This how it works currently, is taking away a lot of the FUN for new players and WILL make them quit.

But that is just my 2 cents.

Yup unfortunate I have a year account. and I am screwed some what in the attributes system and a lot in the ep usage. there is alot of lacking info at the start of the game and while game mechanics need to be discovered and explored the use of basic attributes that are essential to your entire progress and the first EP that sets the direction for you entire career need to be clear and bug free/balanced /known.

ending up as a half military/indy asintec that gets to use laser robots but has taken firearms up to lvl 9 (+2 medium) and finding out there are no rorbots at all designed to use firearms, that your basic stats suck and that after a week of play any other weapon type has more survivability then you, does more damage then you at lower weapon skill and out range you  is not fun tongue.

you cant expect a new player to readup on every single item /bot/ gun data read everything to know about the game ahead of time on forums and planners just not to screw him/herself over. 

a single atri-ep reset is needed, and should be granted to every player ONE time after a fixed amound of play time. Then you can say, you had time to learn the game, see what you like and now you get your last and final choice.

31 (edited by Red Five 2010-12-01 16:11:41)

For every 3 characters that screw up in the beginning, 1 will buy a new account and 2 will just quit. Pulling figures out of the air but sounds about right.

Take Eve for example. You get 1 extra attribute respec for new characters and can change them once per year. The changing once per year is a seperate topic (which I hope will be implemented in PO too) but it's the extra respec thats important. If you screw up you get the chance to change it.

What with all the flop mmo's and multitutude of cra p f2p games on the market these days, people don't have the time nor inclination to do their homework on any given game. They just jump in and suck it and see.

If not an EP reset at least give an attribute reset.

I did not screw up at all, btw. Just banging the drum for the inevitables that will, given the n00b unfriendly character creation and firearms EP out-to-get-ya trick.

Honestly I didnt follow this game at all and joined a few days ago. Luckily I had the smarts to invest in some solid skills like Nav and basic pilot, but I still dropped some points elsewhere that id like back. It was miserable my first day (after I blew my EP load) trying to do bounty hunter missions without some fast tag skills.

Only thing I could do was watch and send rage filled PMs to the guys out playing me.

This would be a great feature and definatly needed.

The Enclave - No drama!  No prisoners!

Jerokane wrote:

Nothing is impossible. And I do not see any reason why they can't change it so, that they can assign 20k "starting" points tied and bound to each character. Completely seperate from the shared time accumalitive EP pool.

The main reason that I see is that people would then want to reset THOSE points. You already get a bunch of free Extensions when you create your character. It's not much, but that's the point. People already want to reset/change the few starting points they received.

I was one of the first people who requested a one-time "Newb Reset" on EP, but I no longer think it's a good idea. Even if they allowed everyone to reset their points once per account, so that I got to reset mine as well, I don't think it's a good idea.

The fact is, no matter what solution they come up with, someone will want it changed. Let's say they allowed everyone 1 total respec between December 15-30 this year, just to shut people up. On December 31, you would start seeing "I screwed up my respec, can I get a do-over?" posts.

No respecs. Just deal with it and play the game.

35 (edited by pr1est 2010-12-03 10:31:10)

Sanya Weathers wrote:

Forcing people to make choices before they understand the implications of those choices (with no “undo” or “redo”) is a recipe for frustration and a loss of retention.

One of the truest statements that easily pertains to most large-scale sandbox MMOs to date.

The "force" may not be apparent but the acknowledgment of implications falls short as well...

My suggestion was, one-time respec for 5$, i would sure do that smile

Solution:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … e-request/

What does that have to do with this darkwing?

pr1est wrote:

One of the truest statements that easily pertains to most large-scale sandbox MMOs to date.

I really don't understand the motive for all these new sandbox MMO to be so unforgiving on long term decisions. Hell, UO was forgiving on the skill system.

Don't they realize it alienates a consequent part of the available player base?

Nipa wrote:
pr1est wrote:

I really don't understand the motive for all these new sandbox MMO to be so unforgiving on long term decisions. Hell, UO was forgiving on the skill system.

Don't they realize it alienates a consequent part of the available player base?

This game is similarly forgiving... much like UO.

In UO you could spend a few weeks GM'ing magery and decide you wanted that character to be a swordsman... you didn't get that 1 week of work back but you could specialize into something different and go through the needed time to get those skills....

But I understand everyones want to min/max their way into happiness... but if you're always trying to min/max you'll never be happy

DevilSlayerX wrote:

What does that have to do with this darkwing?

The major downer of character creation is that attributes have a permanent effect on what extensions you can choose (in a timely manner). Everything else can be made up with time. The starter extensions are pretty basic and you can make those back just by waiting. Going from miner to combat (or vice versa) after 2 days of play isn't too big of a deal *except* for the attribute part which forever locks you into one choice or the other.

Try to ignore the trolls who say "No this wont harm anything, but man it would be so harmful if it happened".

They are just posting to post.

The DEVs have stated countless times theyre working on a solution for this, ive even been told a few weeks it will be available.

Just be patient guys, farm up some NIC and wait for our respec. Which is coming, regardless of how hard 16 year beta players cry about 'I nVr mad3 mistak3 eVr!'.

I believe a respect is a good possiblity to solve some problems around EP loss , because this is a time based game . There is no way to ever catch up to the higher levels and in pvp
I personally believe this would hurt.
  I think a slower rate of of gaining EP the higher level you are so peolple have a chance to gain ground right now the early starters will allways have the heads up in the game and will never atteract new subscribers. I believe EVE even did this to a point

Its probably too late for people who have already applied thier EP's. Giving players 20,000 EP to start may be part of the problem, as it gives new players a lot of ammunition to screw up thier account before they know anything about the game.

Maybe the game could reduce the chance of screwing up everything out of the gate by unlocking account based EP after finishing each of the tutorials. Note, account based, so running the tutorial on alts would not grant more EP.

For example, you start with 2000 EP to spread around, to get a feel for how applying EP works, and another 18000 unlocked over 3 tutorials.

Or, you must complete the tutorial to unlock the full 20000 (but the account accumulates the 1 EP/Min as they run the tutorials so that time isn't 'wasted'. Before unlocking (applying the 20000 to the account), the player is given the option of 'going back to school' ONCE, and retrain with different Corps and schools, after they have seen how the different professions work; at a cost of 2880 EP, just to incorporate the existing alt deletion penalty.

Recap

New accounts are given 20000 EP.
The FIRST agent on the account to complete the tutorials 'unlocks' the 20000, either all at once or per tutorial.
Before accepting the 20000 EP, the player can choose to 'reroll' with a 2880 EP penalty.
The option to reroll is presented to the player until they 'unlock' the starter EP.

Optionally, the reroll penalty can be progressive, so 0 the first time, 880 the second, 2000 the third, and 2880 each subsequent reroll.

Existing players that have already applied 20000 EP, they must have acutally used all thier starter EP, can have the option of rerolling ONCE with a 2880 EP penalty.

I second the idea of a forgiving "beginners ignorance" reset feature.

I made the same mistakes as mentioned above.

We are all beginners in the game, even the early acces players need a chance to redo our mistakes. So if there will be an respec you ep chance, i really hope we all have the chance, hey il even pay for it!

47 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-15 18:58:49)

Not sure if these suggestion have been mentioned:

1.) only allow 1 tutorial mission per account (this way it's not exploited and would fix the root cause of why the devs patched in 2k EP to delete a character in the first place....)

2.) refund character spent EP to main account pool when that individual character is deleted

This would allow new players to respec.

And it would make veteran players think long and hard about respecing on down the road (because they would have to delete that character (persona/corp configs etc) in order to do so.

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]

Any way you look at this it still ends up as the player base asking for this option so please get it in game. 1 time respec or once a year. Which ever.

The Enclave - No drama!  No prisoners!