Topic: Miner and hauler combo to make NIC?

Hey,
Still new here. But seeing as how I want to do PVP, broke and knowing I need NIC I was thinking of starting a second account focused on mining. I can use my combat character to help haul. Is this a viable option? What are good attributes (school?) for a miner / industrialist at character start up?

Re: Miner and hauler combo to make NIC?

I made a toon that could use a sequer (80u of storage) and pick up parrell assigments 4 to get 4 transport missions at a time. Every run to the next staton nets me around 35000 nic and can be done fairly quickly. I ran this for two hours the other night and I made well over 1.5m nic. I kept the ammo from the rewards because I'm a slight horder but if you sell the mission obtainable only ammo, your profits could well exceed what I was doing. Sequers are on the market for 1 to 2 million so if you have the up front cash now to plop your dude in a sequer you can make a lot of money, get rep and not spend ammo. If you do go this route make sure you have the robot contol for the sequer before you spend any other ep.

If you're still going to make a miner toon, don't forget basic robotics because it adds a 5% per level  to bonuses the mining bots get.

Embolism wrote:

I made a toon that could use a sequer (80u of storage) and pick up parrell assigments 4 to get 4 transport missions at a time. Every run to the next staton nets me around 35000 nic and can be done fairly quickly. I ran this for two hours the other night and I made well over 1.5m nic. I kept the ammo from the rewards because I'm a slight horder but if you sell the mission obtainable only ammo, your profits could well exceed what I was doing. Sequers are on the market for 1 to 2 million so if you have the up front cash now to plop your dude in a sequer you can make a lot of money, get rep and not spend ammo. If you do go this route make sure you have the robot contol for the sequer before you spend any other ep.

If you're still going to make a miner toon, don't forget basic robotics because it adds a 5% per level  to bonuses the mining bots get.

Thanks for the response. Can you explain some of these things :  )
So you do take assignements for mining and more?
I have about 20k NIC so doing this from scratch.
What other robots should I start with? What a re good starting stats? Schools?

THank you!

What he's talking about takes a little bit of setup to work, but it's only transport missions. If you're concerned about EP on your primary character, then do it on your second account.

What you will need:
Navigation = 10 (or as high as you can get it)
Basic Parallel Assignments = 3 or more
Basic Robotics = 4
Industrial Robot Control = 4
(plus all prerequisite extensions)

1 Sequer assault mech

Then you run at least the four biggest transport missions between each of the three Alpha terminals. A half hour a day should finance everything you want to do on your main.

You can keep adding points in Logistics Specialization and other Relations extensions to improve your income, and it's one of the few viable Logistics builds currently available.

BTW, this is NOT the best way to make money, but it's really easy. It's also mind-numbingly boring.

So what are better ways to make money? Just some background, as a long time eve-player, I had a trading alt, miner and combat pilot. I don't mind mining at all.

Thanks for all the help.

6 (edited by BossMan 2010-12-03 20:53:46)

Save yourself the ep's for the seq. Grind transports till you hit level 3 transports. Do the alpha -> beta, then beta -> alpha. 135k a mission, 270 for a round trip, takes roughly 12 min. It can be done in a arhke (cargo is only 3u), so basically risk free, even though you go to betas.
Squad up with your main while doing, so he gets the relation bonus. Once he has the enough relation, put him on follow, get 540 for a round trip.

Approx. 2.5m an hour, risk free, mindblowingly boring.

Good thing is, takes no initial investment, or any ep whatsever.

BossMan wrote:

Save yourself the ep's for the seq. Grind transports till you hit level 3 transports. Do the alpha -> beta, then beta -> alpha. 135k a mission, 270 for a round trip, takes roughly 12 min. It can be done in a arhke (cargo is only 3u), so basically risk free, even though you go to betas.
Squad up with your main while doing, so he gets the relation bonus. Once he has the enough relation, put him on follow, get 540 for a round trip.

/agree @mindblowingly boring.
But there is an investment...that grind to level 3 transports isn't very quick, and
arguably getting a Sequer is faster.

Good post though.

Foo wrote:
BossMan wrote:

/agree @mindblowingly boring.
But there is an investment...that grind to level 3 transports isn't very quick, and
arguably getting a Sequer is faster.

Good post though.

Yes, you are right. It actually took me a good 5 hours i think. Thats 5 hours of boring transports, but with the added bonus of no cash gain. I dont think a seq makes this too much faster though, as the relation bonus is a little wierd. The 9u one doesnt give 3x the 3u one. There is really no good way of doing this that I know of. The 3u ics-a -> asyntic-a gives 0.05 if i remember correctly. So thats pretty much 40 trips, unless you skill for it.

Also to nav10 is ofcourse an investment, but you would get that anyway.

9 (edited by Foo 2010-12-03 22:05:18)

Come to think of it, the Alpha triangle missions will eventually be unavailable, once you get past 3.0 rep, I believe. That can be mitigated slightly by taking the 4 Attalica -> Daoden -> New Virginia missions and then switching to the 4 missions that go the other way.

But I believe you'll eventually outgrow the Alpha triangle missions no matter what you do simply because you gain more rep than you lose.