Re: The amounts of crashes are getting silly now :(

Crashes are certainly better than they were, but I'm still crashing on different machines.  Not only that, but I start losing functions, then finally, kaboom.  For example, I lose ability to trade with another player in the terminal - it works but the last ACCEPT remains gray and says "no offers from nnn".  A few minutes later, I'll crash.  Most of the time there is no warning, it just crashes randomly with greater frequency during island jumps and terminal interactions (in or out).

please fix this, it is getting annoying. 6 months of crashes is along time.

My whole weekend was spent restructuring the memory management of the 3D engine which resulted in a _huge_ reduction of the operative memory consumption on the scene graph. (12 MBytes vs the former 350) While the server guys are still working on the patch we'll be testing this client as some new problems might always arise from a major architectural change like this.

Wow, 96% of memory reduction.
nwm

First code is always sloppy code. Wonder what will happen when this new fix will be in place... always funny (and scary at the same time) to see what the optimization did to the whole system...

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

So how is the new client doing guys? Need some feedback.

well i have had limited chance to test (at work) but i can say that my memory usage has halved so congrats on that.
Will do further testing tonight ie: in 6 hours

83 (edited by Snowcrash 2011-07-21 10:41:15)

I was able to do a 3h triangle session without a single ctd. Normally the client crashed 2-4 times during such a session.
So far for me you did a great job in optimizing the client.

cheers

Snowcrash wrote:

I was able to do a 3h triangle session without a single ctd. Normally the client crashed 2-4 times during such a session.
So far for me you did a great job in optimizing the client.

cheers

So the triangle now actually works? Good. Gotta go give it a try tongue

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Well, hmm.  I logged in for 30 mins before work today and did see some unexpected results.

For about 5 mins straight, the game and website were completely unreachable.  There's about zero chance this was memory or a client issue.  I usually blame Comcast for these types of problems.

My client froze 3 times opening up assignments from the assignment window.  Each lockup lasted for about 10-20 secs.  What I thought was interesting was that the background terminal animation was freezing too--no sparklies moving around at all.  First lockup occurred when I tried to open the assignment-specific map twice without closing the first one.  Locked up again opening a second assignment description window after closing the first.

My client froze one more time accessing my extensions list.  Same 10 secs or so.

I'm at work now, so can't test anything else.

DEV BoyC wrote:

So how is the new client doing guys? Need some feedback.

OK well i managed to test last night and unfortunately its very bad news sad
First memory usage is great as i previously said however in station I'm lagged to hell and back i remove a module and it happens 30sec later even longer at times.
As soon as i undock which also takes a looonnnggg time my lag is at 2000+ sometimes N/A then returns to the normal 350ms or so (Australia here)

So from then on the game then plays ok for a time then I'll get a massive lag patch then ok again.

Guys please don't mix lag issues in here, that has many topics on its own already.

The feedback needed here is about the client crashes that we have (had?) mostly when docking/undocking and teleporting.

I went all last night without a crash - while docked, that hasn't happened in a while. 1 session down, so far so good.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Guys please don't mix lag issues in here, that has many topics on its own already.

The feedback needed here is about the client crashes that we have (had?) mostly when docking/undocking and teleporting.

Ok can you please link a current not locked thread about lag as this is a direct result of the last patch not internet conection

Tupha wrote:

Ok can you please link a current not locked thread about lag as this is a direct result of the last patch not internet conection

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … sconnects/

Also please make sure you don't mix graphic slowdowns or client stuttering/freeze with network lag.

After the original patch I loaded up.. not even undocked, said about 3 sentences in general and crashed.

On a machine, I might add, that rarly crashed before.

On my regular machine, at first crashes seemed to be less, but in past day it appears to have reverted to normal, and I hear on teamspeak people starting to complain about it more often again.

While the reduced memory consumption is nice, its definatly not solved the problem.

One more thing,  when I crash now.. it properly locks up my whole machine, where as I used to be able cntr-alt-delete and end the task, now I cant even do that.  Logging back in takes an eternity.

isnt it time you swallowed your pride and called your special friend again?

92 (edited by Twiz 2011-07-22 11:30:10)

I used to crash after every 4-5 teleport jump, though since patch it has now been better, but l still get crashes when teleport jumping. Last time l crashed l was able to jump 8 times before crash, which in itself a lot better than before, but still, it crashes when teleporting. A fresh restart of the client seems to help a bit, but its not a permanent solution.

Good work on the memory consumption on the client btw.

I have not got a single crash since the path and I used to get them every 6 jumps or so big_smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

94 (edited by Parson Grimes 2011-07-23 00:05:50)

Ditto, just to say nice job Dev BoyC!  Not a single crash on teleport last night (about 2 hrs play) where I used to get them fairly regularly.  Thumbs up!

i got a disconnect on docking a terminal.

though, only one time yet... will post if it happens more often.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

i got a disconnect on docking a terminal.
though, only one time yet... will post if it happens more often.

Please only post client crashes here. Disconnects and lag are a completely different type of issue.

Ive been running 3 clients, one maxed out with shadows/aa 8x.

0 crashes.

Great work devs!

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.