Re: The Dire state of PVE combat.

+1 to what Auguria wrote.

You cannot tank the whole spawn? Works as designed. You are not supposed to be able to tank the whole spawn. Not even half of it.

You do not tank all that damage. You avoid most of it.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

while i've only started playing PO recently, i'm also a bit confused by the expectation of combat as a tanking exercise. even though games like eve are set up that way, it's really a somewhat bizarre way of doing things. unless you're completely over-skilled, i like the fact that being mobbed by npcs is a dangerous thing. it encourages use of range, LoS, lock-time, and other tactics instead of just out-healing damage.

in fact, i think it's pretty nifty that mobs under attack will retreat while others try to gang up on you. it creates a cool ebb and flow to blowing them up. i would be extremely wary of fighting mobs in anything that doesn't allow you to dictate the rules of the engagement. i'm guessing that's what happens when you go about in a bot that you don't really have the skills to use effectively.

28 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-18 04:55:32)

Strongbad wrote:

Upgrading myself from my lowly bot towards my new Artemis now I find I still can't deal with anything the mobs throw at me, you get torn apart by mobs just outside the starter Alpha zones...

Take 1 teleport trip to say Hakkabor or Matso Shodan and you run into a pack of 3-5 assaults or lights and you are dead, its worse if you hit EW.

You made a mistake, sorry.

Medium weapons have a realy REALY bad aiming against small and semi-small enemys. To hit them well, you would need the extension at 6++ and a aiming modul.

I started togeter with a friend.
He went straight for the small Mech, I went to Assault and pushed my suport extensions (CPU, Reactor, Energy and so on).
He couldn't do even the easiest NPC-Assault spot as he had a hard time to hit them and BIG energy problems (blue med guns *g*).
I can farm them without any problem in my Arbalest big_smile.

We have nearly the same amount of EP (well, now not enemy more as he respect 3-times until now ^^).

- Assaults for light/assault NPC.
- mechs for mech/heavy mech NPC.

PS: I don't play 1 month and are allready able to take out some 5*2.star assault spawns SOLO. You just need to know the right spots for your mech and equip wink. Oh well, and some tactic usage realy helps *g*.
I tryed some L2 combat missions and they are doable. Some are realy easy, other need heavy movement+tactic. But I could finish all (nearly run out of time for one but managed to dock within the last minute smile ).

PPS: And it's allways fun to see a Rookie in his Mech running away from spawns where I can easy "tank" them as my energy/rep/equip extensions fit to this difficutly of the spawn yarr cool

Jack Jombardo wrote:

We have nearly the same amount of EP (well, now not enemy more as he respect 3-times until now ^^).

That's the problem and why the current system was unforgiving. Hope for my sake and others like your friend, they provide us with one last free reset.

Also, I hope "enemy more" is a meme for anymore, else that's ridiculously funny.

The system is 'un-forgiving' because its designed from they get go to be a multi-player game.

Really, the only people who have a problem with PO are people that have a problem with playing with anyone but themselves.

squad up or GTFO

Not sure what the poster above is trying to say, but I'm sure he's being helpful.

I see a -lot- of tanking gear/items, I'm pretty sure they meant for this to be a viable setup, so unless its there for cosmetic use. That doesn't mean one bang ones head against the wall in an attempt to make what doesn't work functional..

I'm just saying, PVE setups and combat is horrible at the moment, it's way to hard, its too risky , and the rewards are ***.

Is this really good for the player base. Also, I do squad up for npc hunts...

ERP, 2 repper tunings, 2 small reppers. Go AFK in the middle of 5 t3 assaults, no problem. It's not hard, it's not risky, and it pays a lot more than the stupid transport missions everyone complains about.

What I don't get is why people have such a hard time figuring it out. Standard ERP gives me 1 accum for every 2 damage? I can tune my repper to the point where it reps 2 damage for every 1 accum? At what point does an idea begin to form here?

The only 'hard' thing about pve so far is the stuff NPCs can do due to endless accumulators. Neutspamming permarepping mechs are irritating, although there are counters to that too.

I am also a new player but I aint got such problems.

Srsly join a corp with more experienced players. They will help you. You need it tongue

I play this game for two weeks and im already farming  4th stars with baphomet (I won't tell where haha)...

-------
ANY kind of Micro Transactions / P2W - I QUIT!

34 (edited by Parson Grimes 2011-07-19 02:19:38)

Yeah I agree with the person who said that it's better to go with Assault and skill up the relevant "boring" skills to do with CPU, Reactor and Accumulator (as well as weapon skills, Basic Robotics and Nav obviously).

I was doing L2s in my Castel after a few days - extremely hairy, and took a while, but just about doable, after I died a few times and learnt the parameters.  Now that I'm in my Assault bot after a couple of weeks, and can fit some tunings, everything's starting to flow nicely.

And for PvE at this level, armour is fine, I agree with the person above who says the armour in the game has a purpose and is not just for decoration; using armour, you still have to kite but you can be more relaxed about it and don't have to fiddle with targets so much. 

Sometimes I use rep and hardener (either universal or specific), sometimes armour plate, and I've found plate to give the "safest" feeling against your weakest foe type, as the buffer is just so huge, and I can just about perma rep now (at least, it lasts until I complete a S&D or get bored gathering reactor plasmas), with maybe a few retreats.  Specific hardener is also good when you know that the damage type is of a main type against those you are weak to (but sometimes you've got to be careful, as the mobs will use varied ammo types, e.g. chem, or against your weakness).

Mind you, all this is with Pelistal.  I think I would pay much more attention to Accumulator with the other two races, but I don't think it would mean more than a few extra days training for comparable performance.

35 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-19 04:46:29)

Mammoth wrote:

ERP, 2 repper tunings, 2 small reppers. Go AFK in the middle of 5 t3 assaults, no problem. It's not hard, it's not risky, and it pays a lot more than the stupid transport missions everyone complains about.

What I don't get is why people have such a hard time figuring it out. Standard ERP gives me 1 accum for every 2 damage? I can tune my repper to the point where it reps 2 damage for every 1 accum? At what point does an idea begin to form here?

The only 'hard' thing about pve so far is the stuff NPCs can do due to endless accumulators. Neutspamming permarepping mechs are irritating, although there are counters to that too.

ERPs are surprisingly expensive, but not a bad deal for what they do.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Winter Solstice wrote:

ERPs are surprisingly expensive, but not a bad deal for what they do.

True, but in a coming patch all alligior/espitium requirements off T1 items will be removed (which should include ERPs), so expect the price to drop shortly!

Strongbad wrote:

Not sure what the poster above is trying to say, but I'm sure he's being helpful.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

The OP is clearly from an MMO where he can solo everything to max and complaining that he finds PO (too?) challenging.  The only reason for this is because the content in PO is not designed for soloing.

Personally my MMO experience grew from the days when an MMO meant playing with other players as a necessity not an option.  So maybe im bitter about how modern MMO's prostitute themselves by making everything soloable and far too easy just to spin a quick dime.

PO (and Eve) are one of the few MMO's which are still fighting this disturbing change to make a multi-player game into little more than a chat client + single player game.

As real Eve veterans will tell you,  they are bitter and disgusted at how CCP are heading this way too..  just because carebears who barley make the effort to team up cry about how bored they are, CCP bends to that will and makes changes to satisfy their every whim, just for money...  every expansion for the past two years has focus on PvE

People from Eve find PO satisfying because its old-style 'hardcore' MMO.

So yea..  when I see threads of people crying about not being able to solo anything past the 'beginner' content I worry that PO will eventually alow themselves to let the river of tears flow them in the same direction that Eve has.

Well, it's not, that you can do nothing alone in PO (and EvE) ... but to get the highend stuff, you need a team and that's why it is called MMOG wink.

But the real problem is, that some people still belive: BIG = GOOD
And this these is something the two SiFi MMOGs share. BIG != allways GOOD

Rushing Mechs without propper Extensions == BAD
Rushing BC+ without propper Skills == BAD

Sure, you can fitt 1 T1 small repper and 4 T1 small weapons on your Mech/BC ... but it will allways be less effective then staying with Small/Assault Robots but fit them with T2/3/4 stuff and pilote them with propper Extensions/Skills.

AND ... suport/fitting extensions are NEVER ever wasted big_smile.
You use them for everything you can Pilot from Arke to Heavy mech equal which Fraktion you work for.

Snowman wrote:

So yea..  when I see threads of people crying about not being able to solo anything past the 'beginner' content I worry that PO will eventually alow themselves to let the river of tears flow them in the same direction that Eve has.

What's the issue, PVE is carebear content anyway, as long as your PVP stays difficult does it really even effect you?

PVP tears are so so much sweeter then carebear tears, I think dev's mess PVE just to get them to cry so they can collect PVP tears and power additional servers with them.

Bigger problem with pve than all this garbage is it being duller than dried ***. Make the bots dance while I shoot them, possibly while playing 8 bit music.

And mining needs to be made less push butan receive bacon. It's the stupidest thing ever. Of all the mechanics this game borrowed from eve, why did it bring that garbage along.

Yes. You are successful miner. You has sat on your *** while ore accumulated. Sometimes you moved the ore to a can. Dull.

Real miners drill holes and use explosives and people *** die trying to rip *** out of the ground. They build vast complexes where the ore gets processed, and they poison the ground and sky with their tools and their chemicals. Why can't it be awesome like that? Player versus Minerals: This Time, It's Mother *** Personal!

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Bigger problem with pve than all this garbage is it being duller than dried ***. Make the bots dance while I shoot them, possibly while playing 8 bit music.

And mining needs to be made less push butan receive bacon. It's the stupidest thing ever. Of all the mechanics this game borrowed from eve, why did it bring that garbage along.

Yes. You are successful miner. You has sat on your *** while ore accumulated. Sometimes you moved the ore to a can. Dull.

Real miners drill holes and use explosives and people *** die trying to rip *** out of the ground. They build vast complexes where the ore gets processed, and they poison the ground and sky with their tools and their chemicals. Why can't it be awesome like that? Player versus Minerals: This Time, It's Mother *** Personal!

lol    +1 just answerme how you would scale it to multiple accounts mining.

42 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-07-19 22:03:35)

AeonThePiglet wrote:

They build vast complexes where the ore gets processed, and they poison the ground and sky with their tools and their chemicals.

I don't have an issue with introducing player built mining facilities providing they can be raided/looted/attacked, even in Alpha.

Also introducing some volatility to certain elements could be interesting. Such as HDT fields being "allergic" to certain weapons fire. Some ores that degrade once out of the ground and not in terminal storage, to encourage group operations (mining+hauling) instead of solo field-can AFK mining.

This might be better suited for another thread though.

If you look at the thread header, and piglets post, he's right on topic. PVE combat, but PVE doens't mean NPC's in this case, it means dirt. The Dire state of attacking dirt. It's true, the dirt is not putting up much of a fight! We demand more challenging dirt.

There could at least be some more "gritty" animation than a boring laz0r.  There's a drillbit in the icons - why isn't mining done with some (reasonably noisy but not annoyingly so) grit-spewing drill, with the robot shaking with the effort (like a guy with a jackhammer)

Better noise and animstions does not solve the issue. As I see the arguements, there's the one side of dirt sucks. I turn on the lazor and mine. When I have my fillll, I haul. The other side is well I want to do it with multiple accounts at once.

Where does this leave us. It has to be something that is not click intensive over a long duration or there will be a drop in subscriptions as its impossible to dual or triple box and mine. By the same token however when I mine the lasers do not even point at the right tile. There's no real eye candy to it. Do I think that mining as it stands is the right thing to do... hell no. Let m go mine hdt and come back in 12 hours and still be mining it. Just occasionally switching the liquid to the cargo. When I'm done I'll haul four seqs at a time in convoy.

With that said I bought a mining mech for the purpose of mining. So what people say about deploying structures ad such, there's no need you have the mechs and bots. What we really need is a new process or revised even to get the ore or liquid from the ground to the cargohold. At least in eve I could not sit in the middle of a red field and mine all day. I had to belt hop and in rare cases system hop.

From the best i can tell certain ores spawn in certain environmental conditions such as near impassable slopes or on super flat terrain.

I wont pretend t know the solution or even propose one on this as I'm just not able to think of a better system. I just recommend that miners subscribe to Netflix or get a webcam to use Skype and find something good to watch or a cute member of the opposite gender to talk to in the hopes of starving off the sheer boredom.

46 (edited by Kamikazie 2011-07-20 00:32:47)

Stupid internet... double post. Sorry.

The only real big learning curve is that the game has high levels mixed with low levels all over the island instead of say diffrent games where you would expect the mobs to get progressively harder away from hubs.

The alpha spawns are slowly getting nerfed, they removed ewar from many of the spawns recently, and it's likely to continue in that vien as the game progresses.

Arga wrote:

The alpha spawns are slowly getting nerfed, they removed ewar from many of the spawns recently, and it's likely to continue in that vien as the game progresses.

Not a good direction in my opinion.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:
Arga wrote:

Not a good direction in my opinion.

I think its a good nerf. To many players got demoobed and killed. And if you want to go from A to B and you had some Mobs between them you could drive through and had the risk of demob or go around.