Re: New devblog: The Great Big Revamp

Alfredson wrote:

why not just reset everyone's ep, and make all accounts follow the new character features. minimize lots of headache tbh

This is what WoW does whenever they revamp things, although usually on a class by class basis following "balance adjustments".  I think it is a really good part of the revamp plan that allows players to take full advantage of new changes. The clueless will remain clueless, but the savvy player can optimize skills to match changes.  If players want additional alterations beyond the freebies, then they can pay NIC/EP as outlined.

"DEV Calvin wrote:

At the moment (and this is subject to change) we do not plan on applying the new character features to old characters."

This is a very poor show. 

You freely admit that it was "unfair" to players putting points into combat for industrial purposes... the very least you can to is to alow them players to re-assign skills they put to 5 back into industry..

But your basically saying "har har - tough luck, you spent your money now its ours"

You made a mistake, and you will make more.. what players will examine is how you correct those mistakes, this is the first step in the wrong direction.

Snowman: the account reset changes have nothing to do with the combat/indy mission relation changes. Those extensions will be reimbursed, like we used to do so many times when we changed something fundamentally affecting their effects.

54 (edited by Kamikazie 2011-07-19 22:04:44)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Snowman: the account reset changes have nothing to do with the combat/indy mission relation changes. Those extensions will be reimbursed, like we used to do so many times when we changed something fundamentally affecting their effects.

So all combat and industry extensions will be reimbursed then? How will you determine which extnsions an industry toon pumped to combat vs a combat mission and which ones a combat to on pumped to run industry missions. Your better off just reseting everyone's EP and giving us the thirty days. Its a fair and level play field and prevents the server from having to do a million account resets that everyone will crunch out prior to release so their characters are under the thirty day mark.

hell, no full reset, i want my char as it is now... and not to spend all the NIC again, or going on houer through + , "are you sure" + are you sure + are you sure ... process just to get it back as it is atm.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Those extensions will be reimbursed,

Which extensions.  Exactly ?

Kamikazie wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

So all combat and industry extensions will be reimbursed then? How will you determine which extnsions an industry toon pumped to combat vs a combat mission and which ones a combat to on pumped to run industry missions.

This is exactly my point (sry for double post)

Arguably all characters have made decisions based on this.  so If all characters get all extensions reset.. then why the hell bother saying "new character changes wont effect old characters".. because its the same god damn thing.

Give a small grace period for people to tidy their characters as a "transition" phase to the new system. 1 week should be sufficient in my opinion.

I must admit though, I find the Zoom's Cosby quote quite apt lol

You all have me totally confused.  Should I be spending EP or keeping it or what?  Not take it past a certain level?

So confusing... sad

Kamikazie wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

So all combat and industry extensions will be reimbursed then? How will you determine which extnsions an industry toon pumped to combat vs a combat mission and which ones a combat to on pumped to run industry missions. Your better off just reseting everyone's EP and giving us the thirty days. Its a fair and level play field and prevents the server from having to do a million account resets that everyone will crunch out prior to release so their characters are under the thirty day mark.

I might be missing a few beats here, and if so excuse me, but why would all combat and industry extensions get reimbursed?

The only thing planned to change is that combat assignments won't affect facility relations anymore. The only extensions affecting relation gain are the Tactics/Logistics/Industrial specialization, and these are the ones which can be reimbursed when we make that change.

I think what they are trying to say is;

Indy character has put EP into combat extensions in order to do the combat missions, such as general firing and critical hit, now that they no longer need to do combat missions to raise rep, those EP are no longer of any use. Note I specifically chose extensions that have no purpose for utility support.

62 (edited by Mouse Tiger 2011-07-19 23:04:55)

DEV Zoom wrote:

why would all combat and industry extensions get reimbursed?
The only extensions affecting relation gain are the Tactics/Logistics/Industrial specialization,

All combat extentions affect ones ability to do combat missions, and hence gain relations

question: why did you do combat missions?

im on 30-40% relation bonus without doing any combat mission aside of those i could do with the starter bot.

but even that was not really necessary as a corpmate could have done it with a combat alt and sharing mission.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Arga wrote:

I think what they are trying to say is;

Indy character has put EP into combat extensions in order to do the combat missions, such as general firing and critical hit, now that they no longer need to do combat missions to raise rep, those EP are no longer of any use. Note I specifically chose extensions that have no purpose for utility support.

Thanks for the explanation. Thing is, when they did those combat missions with the help of those EPs, they did not only gain relations, but NIC and loot as well. Should we then take that away? It's not such a straightforward issue, but we'll discuss it internally as well.

Annihilator wrote:

question: why did you do combat missions?

im on 30-40% relation bonus without doing any combat mission aside of those i could do with the starter bot.

but even that was not really necessary as a corpmate could have done it with a combat alt and sharing mission.

I could never log in and get a corp mate to do everything, but I want to play the game myself

DEV Calvin wrote:

A very good point about the higher cost of reset of industrial characters because of the knowledge bases. Another good point about the industrial characters' combat extensions to grind the relations that will no longer be calculated in production. These will be definitely discussed.

DEV Calvin has already conceeded this point earlier in this thread, do not know why we are discussing it again.

I haven't actually talked to anyone that did put EP into combat, but it's possible that someone did, and Kamikze didn't really explain it well, so I just clarified.

The only justification is that they really didn't want to do combat, but where forced to for rep. The trouble is as zoom says, they did benefit from more then just the rep.

Besides, that combat rep will help when the instigate the new 12.5% DPS boost for having maxed rep....

68 (edited by Kamikazie 2011-07-19 23:47:24)

Well we could firesale nia, and have everyone start over from day one just with giant EP pools. tongue let the hate posts flow.

Seriously though, I am sure the right decision will be made.my concerns at least were voiced

All that we need is to allow old players the oppertunity to do a new style reset.
the level 6 is permanent rule can stay, the 20%ep loss if you have already done a reset can stay.

Industrial characters can not sensibly use the current reset due to loss of research and standings, a new style reset allows them to fix their characters. Reseting all combat extentions for everyone would be a massive over reaction.

Dev Calvin has already agreed to discuss this.

New reset system should be accessible by all players. I don't see it being an issue with the Preset level 5 limitation. Implement something that would limit it's usage like mentioned above or whatever it takes. Most of the new players (which I would venture saying is the larger portion of your player base now?) are in favor of this and it is probably in your best interest to do whatever it takes to keep them until they are invested in the game.

Especially with swtor on the forefront, catch my drift...

And yes this benefits me but I am speaking objectively.

Kamikazie wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Who would be against this unless you're a *** Scrooge, honestly.

P.s. My brother is right about dev alf. He is in touch with what the people want. I nominate him for the peoples champ award.

Being new in a game that has been out for awhile, I was able to ask many questions when creating my characters.  One of the things I learned, just a few weeks ago, was that I would have to do combat missions with my indy character in order to get my rep up at facilities so that I could be viable in the marketplace.  And this was true.  I tried to tailor my indy character to a strictly indy fit; however, I took a sliver of my overall EP to enhance my combat skills.  Now the game is different, and I have skills I no longer need.

The fair thing to do is let every character change their ep investments.  It does not matter if they made nic or benefited in any way from these investments, it does not matter if they started yesterday or 7 months ago.  What matters is that every person has the ability to create a character that best fits their needs for enjoyment of the game.  Mistakes aside, if the game changes, the ability to change character choices does to.

When playing poker, you don't make Jacks wild in the middle of a hand.  You need to let each player reset their cards if you're going to change the game.  And it doesn't matter how much they made in previous hands, that was a different game.  If a ran a poker game where I changed the game in the middle of each hand and made the players keep their cards, I'm not going to have too many players at my table.

I have to agree we've all probably put in an extension point somewhere we wish we could take back.  I also agree that everyone should be given the opportunity to best make use of the new upcoming change with attributes.

If the Devs were to allow the older players to adjust attributes, or if the possibility of EP being reset were to be considered, I think there should be a choice.

I've been playing 7 months, and honestly(mistakes or not) have no desire to change my extensions.  I chose not to take advantage of any stage of the account resetting as it was released and changed.  I can't say I'd be too happy to log into a full wipe of my extensions.  Perhaps a choice upon logging on(kind of a one-time only thing) about whether I would like to choose to reset my extensions or leave them the way they are.  Thus allowing those who want to take advantage one last go, and those of us who wish to stay where we are the ability to do such.  Obviously we're not sure how the Devs will handle the matter, but that is my opinion. big_smile

Taco wrote:

Cool stuff

Kamikazie wrote:

other cool stuff

Aeon wrote:

Same lines of cool stuff

Based off of your suggestions I think there should be another few more EP trees under the production side... 1 for each faction that lowers the material ratio and time efficiency for faction specific items ie.

[xFaction production specialization]-each level of this extentions grants bonuses to lowered mat ratio and production time for xFaction light and assault bots and (x faction) small guns and a few other mods like a specific hardner and ERP

[Advanced xFaction production specialization]-each level of this extentions grants bonuses to lowered mat ratio and production time for xFaction lMECH and H MECH and MED (xfaction) guns and a few other mods like a specific hardner and ERP

This would effectivly give the older toons a specialty and really old toon will have cross trained all, Or become a master x faction producer for their corp.

Numq would have all numq bots and em guns, em ammo and a certain resist.
Thel would have all thel bots, lasers, energy cells, and a certain resist.
Pel would have all pel bots, launchers, missiles , and a certain resist.
Indy would have all indy bots, indy mods, Miner charges, the last resist.

you could incorprate a few more extentions along this line to include E-wars items and Engineering items. Just a thought I know true indy folks would like these ideas.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

[23:00:48] <GM Blaster> well, we will change the reset system, so by the end of august you will lose it actually
[23:01:20] <GM Blaster> its intended to come out on the week of 22nd of aug
[23:01:44] <GM Blaster> we will give out one free reset for everyone before it comes
[23:01:57] <GM Blaster> even those who already used reset once or more times