Topic: Question about artefact scanning

I've heard it said, confidently, that the "game spawns ten artefact sites per person, per island, and that these get regenerated as you find them".  Please can somebody confirm (or deny) this for me?

The reason I ask is that I was scanning Attalica yesterday.  It's quite a friendly map to scan.  5k charges from the following locations will, I believe, cover the entire map:-

Radholme West Teleport
Berwalem I Teleport
Blaha I Teleport
Galoly Belil Teleport
ICS Alpha (or ZP Teleport)

But I can only find four (crappy) artefact sites…….  Perhaps I have to clear all ten before it regenerates the entire lot?

Thanks,

Scratch

Re: Question about artefact scanning

Here is some basic help for you.  http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/artifact_hunting

Sites are unique, per toon.  The regeneration and distribution of sites was tweeked a coupled patches ago and the influx of players had driven the market down a bit which made sites much less lucrative.

From months of use, we've figured that hitting an islands major teleporters is about the only effective means of finding sites.  If you are targeting high value sites - aka tier 2 and 3 Sci and Observers - then you will need to spend more time hoping islands.  If you don't find these sites, then it really isn't worth the trouble to check all the nooks and crannies of each island.  You have a better chance of finding something big if you quickly check all alphas and the major teleporters on the empty betas.

You can try and clear out the tier 1 sites and you will eventually find something of higher value.  But given the drop rate this just sucks up time with little return.  Buy the fastest bot you can drive and cover the alphas looking.  Bookmark the good ones and come back later in a big bot/with friends.  When the server gets reset, go back out and do it again (because sites get refreshed).

Thank you Gut Punch, that confirms my own observations, and thank you to the person I spoke to in-game today (no idea whether or not they care, but will assume confidences where they aren't asked for).

I think the following is true:-

* There are ten per island (it just feels right, no direct proof)
* A new one is respawned when you find one (it feels righter)
* Level 1s aren't worth the charges, level 2 should cover costs, level 3 could result in a nice pagoff
* They get reset when the server is restarted
* Clearing low level sites might result in higher level sites (no idea on the rate, assume an equal distribution)
* There might be nooks and crannies, given inaccuracy, that don't get covered from the "obvious" scanning points.  These might be worth finding.

The thing that tripped me up was the "got the whole island covered and nothing showing, where are they".  I still don't know where they are, but I do now believe that they are out there.

What I'd like to know, which ive yet to find a definate answer on.. is wether or not there is any difference between Alpha Islands and Beta islands?

Do higher levels more regularly spawn?
Are the contents of the artifacts on Beta more likley to be better?
are the mobs which spawn oh a higher level on beta?

From what I can tell from people ive spoken to suggests that the answer is 'No'  but surly there must be some difference... risk vs reward an all that.

Snowman wrote:

What I'd like to know, which ive yet to find a definate answer on.. is wether or not there is any difference between Alpha Islands and Beta islands?

Do higher levels more regularly spawn?
Are the contents of the artifacts on Beta more likley to be better?
are the mobs which spawn oh a higher level on beta?

From what I can tell from people ive spoken to suggests that the answer is 'No'  but surly there must be some difference... risk vs reward an all that.

Answer is still no, was introduced and *balanced* for alpha I guess we wait for iteration to balance the risk / reward of beta islands.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2011-03-11

There is no difference between alpha and beta islands regarding artifact loot types, but beta artifacts have a higher chance to drop higher level loot.

And yes, there is also a difference in spawned NPCs.

Ah, thats great, thanks Zoom.

Would it be possible to look into that and make sure that its defiantly the case?  Only ive done a lot of scanning on beta,  but alpha scanners are always getting better loot.

Example ; I've been scanning of an on for several weeks now and only ever found one lithius Mk2 CT.   Yet a comrade only ever scans on alpha and constantly gets Mk2 ct's.

Ofcourse, it might be just my luck,  but I suspect something isnt right.

Or maybe doing something to increase chances on beta,  to make beta more appealing?