1 (edited by Arga 2011-07-15 20:06:05)

Topic: Dynamic Spawn feature

Welcome your new robot overlords

The Nians are becoming more clever and flexible - if you partially destroy a spawn group, it will keep coming at you. If you totally destroy a spawn group, the Nians will deploy a different kind of spawn the next time to keep you guessing. There’s also the chance that the spawn group may be an "elite" spawn - special forces carrying higher quality gear, or items that will lead to higher ranked Elite Spawns.

Whoa.

Edit: Wrong section, could you move this to feature discussion please.

Re: Dynamic Spawn feature

Where you find diz.....

PS: when i taking you mining?

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:

Where you find diz.....

PS: when i taking you mining?

the dev blog smile

How far will they follow? Tagging a Hmech then kiting the rest of the spawn to a location of your choosing, say a mineral field, could be a little awkward.

As for the dynamic replacement, just awesome. Could make farming more difficult in the 3-4 start range, but certainly more exciting.

5 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-15 20:12:46)

My impression ifor that was an improved social/'call for help' within a spawn of mobs, not necessarily a 'chase you across the entire island'... ie if you are killing 1-2 of a group cause theyre in sight range, the others won't need 'sight range' when they 'respawn', they'll auto-agro you becase you killed their cousin. big_smile

As for the scaling spawns that sort of thing is awesome, period - dynamic spawns always bring more life to PvE.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Will they degrade back to what level they were, thats the question. Anyway, without clearance of how this will work, that seems...exploitable atm.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

7 (edited by Alexander 2011-07-16 15:57:37)

This feature sounds like it could use some balancing. If you're in a heavy mech with an RR behind you it's more annoying when the spawn attacks your RR (Unless shielding it) than your main heavy mech pilot.

I don't sense this will be balanced at all but will mean alpha farming will be hugely profitable killing theses harder spawns!

However an idea did come to me. Make ewar spawn if the spawn is being killed every quickly. Then remove ewar from normal spawns. This would shows players that ewar = support. big_smile

Yes, please spawn more ewar. They are much easier to kill then assaults with my Baph smile

Yeah, it'll be interesting how much more profitable and valuable (kernals) those already quite nice 2 sets of spawns are on the new alphas once they start spawning higher level bots/mechs.  TBH I thought they were a bit OP to begin with, but if they're there I'll use em!

->You just lost The Game<-

Well this sort of thing isn't without precedent (EQ2 did it, for starters - the escalating spawns), and isn't imba in and of itself as a mechanic.  Usually it works on a % base chance of the spawn escalating.

like Spawn a, clear for % chance of spawn B, spawn B can escalate to spawn C at a % chance or degrade back to spawn A, Spawn C dies, replaced by spawn A.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

I'm fine with it, it makes Perp-Carto more useful in a way

The wording is a bit cryptic for dramatic effect, but 'coming at you' means they will act the same way as they do now, meaning the spawn will restore itself to its original state. If you kill it completely, you will get another spawn of the same approximate difficulty and there will be a slight chance that you get something shiny.

Should we use less dramatic effect in our blog texts and be all lawyer-like specific, or will such belated explanations suffice?

How does one kill off a spawn? Do you have to be faster than the natural replacement rate or do they stop replacing themselves at some point?

Aerodrome Engineer wrote:

How does one kill off a spawn? Do you have to be faster than the natural replacement rate or do they stop replacing themselves at some point?

you do by simply doing it as a pair. two assault driver can hold down most alpha island spots, make it three and you face reaspawn timer

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Calvin wrote:

The wording is a bit cryptic for dramatic effect, but 'coming at you' means they will act the same way as they do now, meaning the spawn will restore itself to its original state. If you kill it completely, you will get another spawn of the same approximate difficulty and there will be a slight chance that you get something shiny.

Should we use less dramatic effect in our blog texts and be all lawyer-like specific, or will such belated explanations suffice?

As long as it doesn't need to be professionally translated into 3 languages first I'm fine with whatever. smile

----

We warned you.

Leave our planet or our elite will spawn on you!

Good Robot wrote:

We warned you.

Leave our planet or our elite will spawn on you!

+1

18 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-18 04:36:49)

DEV Calvin wrote:

For me your dramatic is fine cool.

I just was a bit scary, that this "elite" and "super elite" might be somethink realy dealy.

Like a 1. star dps-Mech in a 1. star EW-lightbot spot for the first elite and a 1. star EW-DPS heavy Mech as super elite wink.

But as long as you need to pay attantion but don't get anihilated if half decent fittet for this spot I'm realy excited to see the results yarr