Topic: The Dire state of PVE combat.

I've been doing PVE scout/combat/hunting for a good time now. I find it curious that this part is so critically bad in this game.

Upgrading myself from my lowly bot towards my new Artemis now I find I still can't deal with anything the mobs throw at me, you get torn apart by mobs just outside the starter Alpha zones...

Take 1 teleport trip to say Hakkabor or Matso Shodan and you run into a pack of 3-5 assaults or lights and you are dead, its worse if you hit EW.

I don't mind this being the state of affair on difficult places, but after over a month of playing LVL 1 missions can't be the ONLY thing you offer for those who are geared towards combat.

It doesn't help that fitting your mech really makes little difference, you are unable to take fire or if you got the wrong guns, you can get massacred/slowed/target jammed and murdered faster than you can blink with no ability to tank or defend.

In the end, it just becomes boring, you can't expect your subscribers to play LVL 1 missions for months on end...

I guess if you are going to ignore PVE crowd at all, then its fair game, but then I will take my money and leave.

To quickly sum it up, make components MATTER in the Mech, make sure the challenge we face has at least SOME reward/risk ratio, avoid insta  death zones in the STARTER island...seriously this should be really the basics of MMO these days.

Thank you.

Re: The Dire state of PVE combat.

But components do matter in a mech, I can easily solo myself a 5th star light spawn.
Since this is so profitable I havn't even tried farming higher ranked mech spawns myself, so I can't give any information on how easily those are to solo.

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … ig-revamp/

Should cover your concerns.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I think its too late for me, the changes look interesting, but I've just run one too many lvl 1 mission, lost one too many bot on a spawn that chases, slows, jams and totally annihilate you when all you did was to just nozy around a bit outside the starter npc's.

Worst part is that compared to the risk I've taken I got nothing really to show for, I only earn back money for a new bot by doing transport missions.

Strongbad wrote:

Upgrading myself from my lowly bot towards my new Artemis now I find I still can't deal with anything the mobs throw at me, you get torn apart by mobs just outside the starter Alpha zones...

Let me guess, your Artemis has plates/hardeners in legs? There's your first fail.

Take 1 teleport trip to say Hakkabor or Matso Shodan and you run into a pack of 3-5 assaults or lights and you are dead, its worse if you hit EW.

How about not running into the spawn but using range? There's your second fail.

I don't mind this being the state of affair on difficult places, but after over a month of playing LVL 1 missions can't be the ONLY thing you offer for those who are geared towards combat.

1-2 weeks old properly built combat character shouldn't have problems with lvl 2s, if he's good lvl 3s. Being stuck on lvl 1s after a month of playing is your third fail.

It doesn't help that fitting your mech really makes little difference

There's your fourth fail.

I've done what research I can on forums and other places like Wiki, there is very little, I in the end relied on a medium armor repairer with acc chargers...

It wasn't pretty ,but it kept me alive, I'd like to see you do better...

7 (edited by Gremrod 2011-07-16 16:51:48)

Strongbad.

If I can make one suggestion.

Join a good player corp that can help you fill in the gaps that you could not find with research on the forums or other community sites.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Well, for once you did something right. Accumulator rechargers on Artemis.

1. Swap medium repper for t4 small one.
2. Use Artemis for farming mechs, not assaults/lights. If you are desperate to farm lights/assaults in a mech, get precision firing extension up as well as get yourself weapon stabilizer or two. I hope you are not using small lazers on Artemis?
3. Stay out of NPC locking range (mostly 150 meters or so on Alpha for lights/assaults, more for mechs).
4. Don't expect to tank stuff. Ain't gonna happen. Getting shot is doing it wrong.
5. Don't drive something you don't really have skills to do properly (1 month mech is questionable unless you really knew wtf you are doing with you EP).

My artemis was fitted with 4 medium autocannons, coupled with 1 signal booster, 2 firearms damage booster, 1 armour repair booster in high, and 1 med repair 2 acc boosters and plate in low.
I'm planning a 3rd acc, or a stab, but I lack the skills and each stab costs 1,2 million which is a fortune for combat pilot.

I tried the Baphomet, but upgraded to the Artemis when I could not tank anything. I know some of you guys say tank is not the right way, hit LWF and such, but thats a really risky setup that lands you dead the second you hit a EW spawn.

10 (edited by Mouse Tiger 2011-07-16 17:09:36)

You should be using a Baphomet for shooting light NPCs, has more dps than an artemis with low EP. A 1 month character who has already trained for an Artemis will still have a problem though.

You are using medium autocannons, so you have very little dps. Try reseting your account, put all your EP into skilling for a Bap and try again.

11 (edited by Saha 2011-07-16 17:18:03)

Strongbad wrote:

My artemis was fitted with 4 medium autocannons, coupled with 1 signal booster, 2 firearms damage booster, 1 armour repair booster in high, and 1 med repair 2 acc boosters and plate in low.
I'm planning a 3rd acc, or a stab, but I lack the skills and each stab costs 1,2 million which is a fortune for combat pilot.

I tried the Baphomet, but upgraded to the Artemis when I could not tank anything. I know some of you guys say tank is not the right way, hit LWF and such, but thats a really risky setup that lands you dead the second you hit a EW spawn.

1. Check your med ACs hit dispersion. Check lights/assaults surface size. Drive conclusions.
2. Your tank idea is failing, as you might have noticed already. Maybe, just maybe, you should listen to what people tell you.

P.S. You will not have accumulator skills to run 4 medium lazers on one month account. But ACs are *** anyways, so rather go for 1 sensor amp (if t1, use 2), 2 lazer tunings, 4 medium long range lazers, t4 small repper one recharger and 2 stabs in legs. Stay at 200 meters+. Get accumulator expansion and energy management to at least 7-8 as you'll need that as Thelodica.
Or alternatively stick to ACs and continue disapointing yourself by doing stupid stuff.

Strongbad wrote:

Everything depends on how you spend EP. If your already doing a Mech tank, then your probably not spending EP in what you need to make a kiting Baph. But like Mouse says, just getting Adv. Robotics up to sit in a mech doesn't make that the best platform either.

Also. Med guns are the worst things to fight light bots with. Check the dispersion/hit size ratio out. Your looking at about a 20% or less hit rate, the med lasers have the lowest dispersion for Med weapons, while guns have the highest. even with high precision and weapon stablizers your lucky to get to 40% on EW bots (lights) and 50% on Assaults.

It must be taking forever for you to kill anything.

Why doesn't anyone recommend forming a squad to help fight the bad guys.. pick up some younglings and have at it? I mean we typically join MMOs to work with others right?

This way if you don't have the NIC or the skills for the uber bots you can still take down NPCs you normally couldn't touch working as a team.

Not to mention, fighting in a squad will be 10x the fun of fighting solo.

There's really not good ingame tools for getting a pickup group going, as well as loot, travel, and communictions issues. Joining a corp was already suggested, which is the best way to group in the game.

Strongbad wrote:

Hello world,

Another thing to consider : don't rush the mech !!
I am farming in a assault bot, and very often I am doing mode damadge that ppl with Mech.
I even farm mechs with my assault ! (ok that a lilltle too long for my linking).

Mechs are slower and have dispertion issue, so stick to assault bots waiting for good skills before jumping into a mech.

Cu in the field

Tereva

Strongbad wrote:

Then don't fight ewar spawns.
I'd use an assault any day over a mech.
If it were a heavy mech then I'd use that but I'd want a RR alt behind me else solo farming is near impossible.

Tanking doesn't work without repair tunings and an ERP makes a lot of different to tanking.

You choose the worst PVE weapons imaginable as well for using on a mech vs an assault.

Basically you made all the wrong choices and went it alone.

Don't come crying to us that the game is broken when you're playing it blindfolded.

The trouble short term and long term with the PvE is that the mobs, mob. If you see a 5 spawn you need to be able to tank 5 all the time. The chain and the respawn 100%. EWar on PvE is I-Win and while I can get eaten by PvE Arts with a Baph, My Art wont hit the PvE Baphs.

They don't play by the rules.

To the OP, Theo bots are better off with Plates, alot of plates. They seem to buffer tank fine but dont have the accu for repairs. Accept that even missions are gank content. In a game with an average of 300-500 people that will change either the content or the pop.

I played a french based MMO a few years back that had the same gauntlet style gameplay, expecting people to group up for everything. It never got the population for that sort of thing though. It's also no longer opened.

I think there are a few setups that people mentioned that may help, sadly there is no setup/gearing section in the forum, thus newbies have no place to get this info.

In addition I am still questioning why the spawns outside near/alpha center are so incredible dangerous, there is no policy or thought put into their placement. You cannot have people run 1 km out of Asinic to find L3 assault bots annihilating you.
I still believe that tanking setups are the best for new players, knife fighting setups are dangerous ,you can easily run into other mobs / roamers and terrain such a big issue at times, you may be unable to fire at a distance in some cases.

Like in the case of the EWAR, wrong place can leave you dead no matter what you do. This is just unacceptable for a starter zone. Particularly when the reward is what..nothing?

Until they fix this,  they will have serious problems keeping players.

its not really that suprising that Pve content in a pvp game is bad.

I mean, it took CCP what, 5/6 years before they even bother to do anything with pve.

The fun is in the content that players provide,  I dont disagree that PvE does need some love.. but suprised??... er no.  Think you've probably got the wrong idea.

Strongbad wrote:

I think its too late for me, the changes look interesting, but I've just run one too many lvl 1 mission, lost one too many bot on a spawn that chases, slows, jams and totally annihilate you when all you did was to just nozy around a bit outside the starter npc's.

It sounds like you've already made your decision to leave and you're only here to complain, which is fine, but you should recognize that people have given you more than enough information to completely resolve your problem with the PvE difficulty, and if you don't want to take their advice you shouldn't expect your complaints to be validated.

That being said, obviously this game isn't for everyone, and if you are looking for a game where you can just mindlessly solo progressively more difficult PvE content until end-game, there are tons of games out there for you, they're called themeparks. We all understand that this type of game isn't for everyone, but there are plenty of people who enjoy the level of difficulty and the fact that cooperative teamwork is encouraged.

Snowman wrote:

I mean, it took CCP what, 5/6 years before they even bother to do anything with pve.

I lost my faction battleship in a L4 mission.  'Just cause you can fly it, doesn't mean you should.' wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Siff wrote:
Strongbad wrote:

It sounds like you've already made your decision to leave and you're only here to complain, which is fine, but you should recognize that people have given you more than enough information to completely resolve your problem with the PvE difficulty, and if you don't want to take their advice you shouldn't expect your complaints to be validated.

That being said, obviously this game isn't for everyone, and if you are looking for a game where you can just mindlessly solo progressively more difficult PvE content until end-game, there are tons of games out there for you, they're called themeparks. We all understand that this type of game isn't for everyone, but there are plenty of people who enjoy the level of difficulty and the fact that cooperative teamwork is encouraged.

Problem isn't the challenge, the problem is that it doesn't have a gradual curve, its just starter tutorial bots and then it just gets brutal. I have seen some posts here that would help they say, but I don't see any setups that would satisfactory solve any situation.

Strongbad wrote:

the problem is that it doesn't have a gradual curve, its just starter tutorial bots and then it just gets brutal.

You are doing it wrong. If you follow the assignments (Rookie -> 0 -> 1 -> 2 -> etc) then you will get a curve. If you just go running off into the wild alone you could bump into a L3 spawn and get your arse handed to you.

Your fault, not the game.

I don't object to complexity in the PvE. While EVE vets might like to claim this game as yet another PvP game, it is not an EVE clone and I dont much want to see it become one.

Asintec spawns near the main alpha terminal as an example, you can find 4 that are T1 Lights. One will be EWar, *auto-ignore for now. One you can melt them and take little damage. They use a chemo based ammo. Another uses the multi spec and if they get to range on you they will tear you up pretty bad. Another uses a sonic ammo, you can treat those like the chemo ones. They can be farmed. That applies up the ladder too. It makes knowing what is what, spawn by spawn part of the process.

The absolutes are in the numbers. They don't change and the numbers on Alpha main Islands for spawns should be reduced, IMO. No more than 3 to a spawn. Low EP can tank 3. They cant tank 5 and 8. Also the markets arent really seeing the value of commodities so all the loot that for the most part isnt worth repairing doesnt get taken because the 10% and 1% recycle and the state of the market make them junk. Recycling 11 facilites are identical to 1's and for a PvE combat enthusiast the loot is the goal.

Sisohiv wrote:

The trouble short term and long term with the PvE is that the mobs, mob. If you see a 5 spawn you need to be able to tank 5 all the time.

The topic should be the dire state of "I want to tank" people brains. For some odd reason there's always a bunch of you who don't understand when being told over and over again - It doesn't bloody work. Shut up and learn to play.