Topic: So, did I miss something about todays patch?

I only knew of a patch to fix some memory leak issues, and I only knew that because a dev mentioned it in some burried away thread.

But logging on today I got the announcment that it will be down for 3 hours!.. which really suprised me, 3 hours DT for a fix? hmmm.. ok... 

then after the 'patch has been delayed' Dev's were making comments in general about it being a fully featured update patch! yikes

nothing in the news section, no stickys about a 3 hour down time... no patch notes..

Did I miss the memo?

I dont mean to be rude but a bit of notice would be awesome cool  (even if it does get then later get delayed)

Re: So, did I miss something about todays patch?

I missed the memo too. hmm

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Patch was delayed, they found some serious bug in last moment.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Patch was delayed, they found some serious bug in last moment.

yea we know that,  but we dont know what the patch is. 

Even so, why the secrecy?  Normally a sheduled patch is something to make song and dance about as if we were welsh roll

5 (edited by Eta Carinea 2011-07-15 15:44:07)

Have to agree i got a vague tweet this morning from perpetuumMancs stating

"Finalized 4 days of work on surprise content. Get ready your weapons for tommorow (patchday) #botpack"

I immediatly came onto the website, thinking excellent just get back from hols and i have a new blog to read, and what do i find nothing, zilch. Not even in any of the forums could i find anything.

So whats it all about

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/36555/#p36555

->You just lost The Game<-

er,  thanks for linking a random thread about balances.

feel free to stay on topic.

We already had the Summer 1 and 2 posts, which are telling us what is coming in the content patched.

Historically the blog about the content goes up just after the patch. The main reason being that I don't think they alwasys know for sure which features are going to be ready, and that some features/changes directly effect the economy and/or indirectly effect the sales value of items.

They did post on the server status page all week that the server would be down for patching, so there was warning about the process, but I'm always a huge fan of seeing dev posts here in the forum, which would have been an easy addiitional warning they could have done since not everyone checks the server status pages.

I have noticed that the Devs never tell you what's in the patch. Its kinda like that Christmas present your mom hid to well from you. I kinda like it. But I suspect as the game grows, that masses will clamor to demand the devs tell us what's in the coming patches.

This is how it has always been. They will release the patchnotes once it's actually deployed not before. This avoids problems where notes don't match the patch (!) because of last minute issues that lead to the removal of things because they break something. Also leaking info early, while server with previous version is still running can lead to a situation where the person who reads em first can capitalize on it (price adjustments, module changes, etc..)

Snow you need to take the tinfoil hat off big_smile

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

for example - DEV calvin said in IRC two weeks ago something about removing the standing bonus from production facilities -

it was nothing "set in the stone", but after that i lost the inertia to run any mission - now if this change does not come, im pissed. (its only an example, not only running missions for standing)

if the announce any major change to early, it will end in "half of the playerbase stopping to play until patch" (really that happened often enough...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

12 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-07-15 19:20:44)

I'd like it if they started organizing a Council of Planetary Management or similar to run balance and content ideas by. Elected, of course. That way they can have their secrecy, and we can give our input by proxy.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

I'd like it if they started organizing a Council of Planetary Management or similar to run balance and content ideas by. Elected, of course. That way they can have their secrecy, and we can give our input by proxy.

That's all handled by the devs and their many spy accounts smile
We don't need players balancing the game. That'll be even worse than it is now!

Also, I heard some impressive things about the coming patch but they didn't come around this time because of issues. Hurray!

Maybe they'll remember to BLOG or POST or.. NEW POST about it? yikes No?

Okay.

Dev spy alt = best spy alt.

Sadly as nice of an idea as "csm" is, can see why it doesn't work, in perception or reality.

Though allegedly there are cool kids club cards.  I wanna know how to get one! wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

New Blog is up

yea, have no problems with release patch notes just before or right after a patch... thats like how every game does it...

But to not announce that its coming.. and to wait until several hours before announcing a 3 hour DT....   that is just weird.

Its just that, in the past week population is dwindling once again as people lose interest and default to "play another game while EP builds up"... or... "ill come back when there is an update"

The problem with letting people think that nothings going on or even that a big patch is imminent is that once people start playing another game... its kinda hard to rip them away again.

Until the blog just now all we knew was "this summer" .. officially the end of summer is several months away, now, with Eve you still have to log in to switch skills.. but with PO, you dont need to, you just sit and wait, and the longer you wait the less interested you get and the more reward you get when you do come back.

I just cant help but think that if Devs just said something as simple as "big update coming in the next few weeks"  then the drop in activity could have been avoided as people build up excitment and speculation.

17 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-15 22:26:53)

Snow, I wouldn't blame the devs.  People were half-waiting for a press release.  The press release happened.  Some folks were satisfied with what they read.  That has nothing to do with perpetuum devs. hmm

The issue with "rage quitting" a game is eventually you can stop being angry.  And a lot of ppl "rage quit" a game and came here, that's all. hmm

----

no its quite simple.

let me illustrate.

There is a party going on, everyone is having fun... the party eventually dies down because nothing is happening.   people go home, because its boring.

party organisers suprise everyone at the last minute.

Had they announced before hand the shedule, people would have stayed.. the party would continue.

Avatar Creations have basically waited until everyone is asleep and already going home before saying "hey.. were doing something"

loads of people have pm'ed me to say "yea but they are a new dev company still learing"... dude, ive been a gamer all my life, Im no pro, but I know what I need as a gamer to keep my enthusiam going.  what, so becoming a dev means you suddenly forgot all that?

bah.. whatever, who cares.... oh wait..

Can't argue your logic, just telling you flatly what I've witnessed of 625 of the new players is all.

Press release --> drop in activity.

----

Ya, not everyone is looking to start over with a new game, when you have 4-7 years of training and power invested in a game, its going to take more then a few RMT's to get you to switch.

The good news is the exposure and they know that this game exists now.

They'll probably hop back in when the patch hits just to see it anyway, but those players going back to eve are going to go back regardless; 4-5 years of invested time isn't going to compete with 30 days.

I have to agree totally with Snowman in this case.
To not announce a patch with new game content, which needs an estimated downtime of 3hours on a friday afternoon (european timezone) ... that's not very clever. And it's not hard to come by to this obvious conclusion.
As far as i can see AC had a really really really good opportunity to spread the word about Perp with the arrival of hundreds of EVE refugees.
What did these hundreds of refugees experience from day 1 on?
1. massive problems with server stability (Devs solved the problem examplary ... but it was still a major problem)
2. the best, easiest, most risk free and most dumb way to earn some NIC/wealth is ... running in a triangle
3. empty market and high taxes, which lead to an empty market
4. without being able to pilote at least a Sequer as hauling bot - you're screwed in Perp
5. Assault Bot nerf: A bot, that is well suited as a beginner bot with few EPs and even better as a veteran bot with expensive mods and lots of EPs was hit by a huge nerfbat. ECCM mods are practically useless now.
Drastic changes in gameplay/game mechanics without announcement and without proper compensation (e.g. free respecc, no way to break demobs now and so on ...) left a smelly taste behind in the mouth of new and interested players.
The presence of Devs/GMs ingame answering questions is considered as an absolutely advantage and the way to go. But that's not enough.

At the end AC wasted a good chunk of a great opportunity ... user peak numbers don't lie.

The numbers are better than they were. They did all they could for the game, and are still doing everything. If anything they wasted a chunk of the opportunity... but sayings it's a great one is either a lie or being misinformed at best.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Yes, we're over 600 today already and have a couple hours before peak.  Its certainly still MUCH MUCH better than before, where 300 was a high number.

If you didnt expect the numbers to go down, you're fooling yourself.  The surge came because of another games mistake and not because of anything AC did, so some of the players naturally wont stick around as they're not truly interested in Perpetuum, but just dont want to play another game.  We are still seeing numbers that are pretty good compared to our max a little while ago, so I dont think it will settle that much lower than it is now.  We certainly still have a big boost in numbers as a whole, but haven't tipped the balance between people leaving and new cold trials (not influenced by other game's follies) subscribing.

->You just lost The Game<-

speacking as new player now been playing 15 days. I plan get into pvp but i wateing for my ep to get higer. wile i am wateing on ep i been farming npc makeing 1m nic + aday rating for about 2 hours aday. bigest problem i have at this point is very high cost of ammo and t1 mods t1 armor hardner = cost of my light mech.