Re: Seth / Mesmer to Gropho Inbalance ( WARNING, wall of text / math )

At the current state of the dev server, where the Gropho has accu recharge and Seth has resist, the Gropho almost permaruns 2 medium repairers, and with this can tank the Seth's lasers, and kill it. It's just plain firing practice. The Mesmer tears this Gropho apart, even if the Gropho has shields. Lowered the medium lasers' accu usage about 15%, also lowered the accu usage of EMs' about 10%, and kept their falloff.
Medium shields got their 5 sec cycle time back, as they are a defense system by design, and by design they take away your damage dealing abilities. With 5 sec, you can still play lower - shoot - raise shield game, but to shoot efficiently you need to let it down for longer time, or you shoot less.
Seths with resist bonuses are strong, it may cause 20-30% further damage reduction from the current live status.
Gropho's shield with recharge seems stronger against 1 mech, but weaker against focus fire, and handles neuting slightly better.

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

You should use this for the dev server

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/ … giant-game

103 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-13 02:51:03)

DEV Alf wrote:

.... Lowered the medium lasers' accu usage about 15% also lowered the accu usage of EMs' about 10%, and keep their falloff. ....

Big thanks smile

Seams I am heared *happy*.

Ergh, ok well its a step forward but you say it yourself:

DEV Alf wrote:

At the current state of the dev server, where gropho has accu recharge and seth has resist, gropho almost permarun 2 medium repairer

A gropho can use almost 100% of its AP for tanking, while seths and mesmers need most of the AP for their weapons (still).

Anyway .. its a step into the right direction. But AP usage of missiles needs to change.

AgY wrote:

Ergh, ok well its a step forward but you say it yourself:

DEV Alf wrote:

At the current state of the dev server, where gropho has accu recharge and seth has resist, gropho almost permarun 2 medium repairer

A gropho can use almost 100% of its AP for tanking, while seths and mesmers need most of the AP for their weapons (still).

Anyway .. its a step into the right direction. But AP usage of missiles needs to change.

Then it will have to be balanced through higher dps, or something else. On the mech lvl, and soon, heavy mech lvl, the green's low dps plus yellow high resists means the intentional rock paper scissor mechanic do not apply as much for green to yellow compared to between blue to green or yellow to blue. Taking away shield tank, without compensating for it, would mean both rock and paper beating scissor, and will break balance in a big way.

106 (edited by Syndic 2011-07-13 06:58:15)

Alf I sincerely hope you weren't testing this Mesmer fit with Magnedarts.

On second thought, I hope you did and I hope theres explosion damage on the Dev server.

lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Alf I sincerely hope you weren't testing this Mesmer fit with Magnedarts.

On second thought, I hope you did and I hope theres explosion damage on the Dev server.

lol

Again magnedart on mesmers ... in a very little case you can use it in big scale pvp, but we know that magnedart damage is like 3-4 times bigger than any compact missile damage.

I know every blue pilot want to go 100m close to their enemy and put magnedart ammo into enemys face and *** them with 2 volleys ...  so NO ... thx NO buff for magnedart and blue bots.

108 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-07-13 14:25:07)

DEV Alf wrote:

At the current state of the dev server, where the Gropho has accu recharge and Seth has resist, the Gropho almost permaruns 2 medium repairers, and with this can tank the Seth's lasers, and kill it. It's just plain firing practice. The Mesmer tears this Gropho apart, even if the Gropho has shields. Lowered the medium lasers' accu usage about 15%, also lowered the accu usage of EMs' about 10%, and kept their falloff.
Medium shields got their 5 sec cycle time back, as they are a defense system by design, and by design they take away your damage dealing abilities. With 5 sec, you can still play lower - shoot - raise shield game, but to shoot efficiently you need to let it down for longer time, or you shoot less.
Seths with resist bonuses are strong, it may cause 20-30% further damage reduction from the current live status.
Gropho's shield with recharge seems stronger against 1 mech, but weaker against focus fire, and handles neuting slightly better.

You mean to tell me that you killed a seth with a gropho that didn't run itself out of accu so it couldn't rep?

I have a hard time believing that, the rock, paper, scissor mechanic is off balance and sure, a gropho can tank a seth... but can he really kill it if it doesn't want to die? The answer is, in my opinion, no.

Can a blue kill a green if it doesn't want to die... unequivacally, yes... quickly..

Cany yellow kill blue if it doesn't want to die... yes...

There is no critical mass of DPS from the green bots to be able to kill their natural prey with it's innate high resists. Something needs to be done about this before you go and make seths stronger.

Now i'll concede that in groups things change, but this whole balancing thread has been based on a lonely seth/mesmer, etc or else all of these accumulator issues would be solved by a logistics bot feeding it energy.

109 (edited by Baron 2011-07-13 15:49:44)

remove the los advantage from missiles and improve damage done -> fixed.

Baron wrote:

remove the los advantage from missiles and improve damage done -> fixed.

Wouldnt that make em just like lasers? What's the point of that.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

GLiMPSE wrote:
DEV Alf wrote:

You mean to tell me that you killed a seth with a gropho that didn't run itself out of accu so it couldn't rep?

I have a hard time believing that, the rock, paper, scissor mechanic is off balance and sure, a gropho can tank a seth... but can he really kill it if it doesn't want to die? The answer is, in my opinion, no.

Can a blue kill a green if it doesn't want to die... unequivacally, yes... quickly..

There is no critical mass of DPS from the green bots to be able to kill their natural prey with it's innate high resists. Something needs to be done about this before you go and make seths stronger.

Now i'll concede that in groups things change, but this whole balancing thread has been based on a lonely seth/mesmer, etc or else all of these accumulator issues would be solved by a logistics bot feeding it energy.

Wait, the DEV runs it on the test server, gives the results, and then you state that you doubt what that the Gropho could do that, even though the DEV had that result....

Methinks thou art trying too hard....

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

now it gets confusing - where has a seth "innate high resists"?

seth:
- big hitpoints buffer (fit lwf = advantage removed)
- big buffer accumulator (which you have to half due to recharge mechanic)

both "buffers" alone without team support cannot keep up with long term battle.
both buffers will deplete relatively fast under missile fire and attempted counterfire.
and both buffers on their own need rather long to fill up again.

gropho:
constant dps out of cover
-> which is the biggest threat to a seth natural buffer
mesmer:
high burst damage, low hitpoints, Hit&Run.
-> which is the lowest threat to a seth due to its hitpoint buffer.

equipped modules can shift those mechanics, and thats what the basic idea of modules is after all. Imbalance is only if a bot can do everything at once with high extensions + right equip.  and the proposed changes by calvin all together will create that status.

mesmers that are fast, long range and can repair while using weapons
grophos that can permarun repair while shooting out of cover over long ranges (not to forget the locktime bonus and granted dps against even the smallest targets)
Fast seth with long-range weapons, resist tank (=faster self repair for less AP)

wheres the difference then?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
GLiMPSE wrote:
DEV Alf wrote:

Wait, the DEV runs it on the test server, gives the results, and then you state that you doubt what that the Gropho could do that, even though the DEV had that result....

Methinks thou art trying too hard....

The conditions in which this Gropho killed this Seth are unclear... I need clarification, because my mind cannot comprehend how that is possible.

You sir, are trying to hard, just look at your first post.

114 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-13 17:39:23)

Annihilator wrote:

grophos that can permarun repair while shooting out of cover over long ranges (not to forget the locktime bonus and granted dps against even the smallest targets)
Fast seth with long-range weapons, resist tank (=faster self repair for less AP)

Well, you stated the differences right there.

Mesmer that can repair while using weapons have a counter, the Ictus, or any neutralization.  Also, I doubt that can be sustained without remote energy tranfer for very long, so the mech doing the transfer is also vulnerable, in combat range and capable of being neuted as well.

Gropho that can permarun it's defense, at high range, which makes it easy for it to fall back out of damage range, or use landscape to hide from damage, but still able to permarun it's weapons.  Not much counter there, is there, considering the range of neuts, and that they re LOS as well. Ewar possibly, ECM or Suppressors, but all that AP still keeping those shields going.

Seth, buffer tank, really only works in extended engaements if there is remote rep, so same arguement as the Mesmer, and will probably still need remote energy transfer as well.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Well, you stated the differences right there.

Mesmer that can repair while using weapons have a counter, the Ictus, or any neutralization.  Also, I doubt that can be sustained without remote energy tranfer for very long, so the mech doing the transfer is also vulnerable, in combat range and capable of being neuted as well.

Gropho that can permarun it's defense, at high range, which makes it easy for it to fall back out of damage range, or use landscape to hide from damage, but still able to permarun it's weapons.  Not much counter there, is there, considering the range of neuts, and that they re LOS as well. Ewar possibly, ECM or Suppressors, but all that AP still keeping those shields going.

Seth, buffer tank, really only works in extended engaements if there is remote rep, so same arguement as the Mesmer, and will probably still need remote energy transfer as well.

How does neut work on Mesmer but not Gropho? The neut in this game is quite OP compared to in eve. When you're dry, you're dry, and neither missile nor anything else can fire. Gropho has the least accumlator pool among the 3, plus neither buffer nor speed. Once that shield goes down it's over. It has half the dps of others, too slow to run, and too little hp to outlast.

116 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-14 00:00:01)

Because the Gropho:

-has an AP net gain with weapon fire, unlike the Mesmer, which means it can take alot more neuting, and still fire and run shields, before going dry.

-Because medium neuts with max skills on an ictus will only exceed weapon range of Gropho by less than 100 m, and would have to get in weapon range of support mechs and bots to utilize t, unlike the Mesmer, which it will exceed weapon range by 300-400m.

And, to borrow from stEVE:

Because of Gropho!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Because the Gropho:

-has an AP net gain with weapon fire, unlike the Mesmer, which means it can take alot more neuting, and still fire and run shields, before going dry.

-Because medium neuts with max skills on an ictus will only exceed weapon range of Gropho by less than 100 m, and would have to get in weapon range of support mechs and bots to utilize t, unlike the Mesmer, which it will exceed weapon range by 300-400m.

And, to borrow from stEVE:

Because of Gropho!

You don't need to stay outside of missile range, they do so little damage, it's not a blue mech. Neut is op in this game, unlike in eve. Once you're neuted, you get dry relatively fast and stay dry. Missiles do not fire with no accumulator at all, which is no different than laser. The difference is filmsy tank with no shield and no resist bonus.

118 (edited by AgY 2011-07-14 07:48:25)

To fire six med missile launchers you need 12 AP to fire six Med Lasers you need between 156 and 210 AP.

Can a gropho generate 12AP after being sucked dry? Yes.

But wth! the ictus is not exactly a frontline assault bot....

Missiles should use the same amount of AP every other weapon uses.

ALF: use grophos LOS advantage when testing. The gropho has it and if gropho-guys dont use it then they should die.

And while youre testing: have a seth catch a running mesmer..

who does every bot need to be able to "catch" the other one?

if the target chickens out, its a win... oh wait, that one doesnt produce a killmail.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

120 (edited by Purgatory 2011-07-14 12:09:12)

AgY wrote:

To fire six med missile launchers you need 12 AP to fire six Med Lasers you need between 156 and 210 AP.

Can a gropho generate 12AP after being sucked dry? Yes.

But wth! the ictus is not exactly a frontline assault bot....

Missiles should use the same amount of AP every other weapon uses.

ALF: use grophos LOS advantage when testing. The gropho has it and if gropho-guys dont use it then they should die.

And while youre testing: have a seth catch a running mesmer..

Missiles use same AP as turrets? Then don't forget to give missile bots 50% higher max accumuator size, and also bring missile dps up around 40-50%.

121 (edited by AgY 2011-07-14 15:00:07)

Purgatory wrote:

Missiles use same AP as turrets? Then don't forget to give missile bots 50% higher max accumuator size, and also bring missile dps up around 40-50%.

Why?
Castel and Troiar have the highest recharge rates of all light bots. In fact the troiar has a better recharge rate then a kain!
Waspish has the highest recharge rate of all assaults.
The tyrannos has the highest AP recharge rate of all combat bots (yes all).
Only the gropho falls out of the line and may need 1/3 more accumulator.

I doubt that any green bot runs into energy problems.

Guys,

are you trying to balance SOLO Mesmer/Gropho/Seth? Cuz its only one possible way to balance them. Where did you get that Ictus?

By the game design, it's yellow -> blue -> green, thats damage/resist side only. Now about weapons and tactics.

Yellows have racial bonuses to resists, so Gropho have lesser changes to kill it with plain firing. But they have no LoS issues so they shouldn't just stay and shoot in an empty field, they should use theyr advantage. and to make it easier, they probably can have more slope capacity to get in a hideout.

Seth atm wasting his accu pretty fast due to high lasers ap consume + high dps. So possible fix may be in decreasing theyr fire rate, but increasing theyr damage and range. So they may don't need theyr shields and use racial bonuses to resists. They also can be slowest h-mechs aswell as an additional compensation.

And now Mesmers. Atm blues are faster, so lets use it. Let them have high speed and probably high fire-rate but less range.

Summary:

Grophos can get in unpassable for other h-mehs terrain.
Mesmers can quickly get in a medium or short distance and rapidly fire (magnedarts may need nerf...or may not big_smile)
Seths are slow but they can snipe.

Thats not a completed balance, just a possible way to go.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

123 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-07-14 20:25:22)

It's not about solo pvp, it's about base capablities and how they impact use in large scale / intrusion pvp.  Face it, hardly anyone, perhaps no one, roams in heavy mechs.  Heavy mechs are the tanks/heavy artillery of large engaements, or perhaps used in undock on top of an unwary gang.

Large scale engagements are typically longer pvp events, with usually alot of sustained fire and movement.  Over the past few months, the Gropho has been the dominant force on the fiels, and with reason.  When respec became available, a huge proportion of players respeced for Pelistal, for this very reason, and also because of significantly reduced line of sight issues.

The whole purpose of this thread has been to build discussion, with the aim of balancing changes, to give the Mesmer and the Seth a decent role again in large scale sustained combat, which currently, due to the issues that have been discussed, they do not have.

seems you forgot how it ended this way: range extender working on missiles. before that, combat was usually around 500m, with LCL LAser and Gauss fitted heavy mechs.

AFTER that it still took a while until Alf removed the penalty from rangeextender which only affected AP-consuming weapons anyway.
But now range is a must have, short range weapons losing more and more their use, unless your roaming with more ewar then combat bots/mechs.

and due to the Terrain, missiles exceed at that.
So IMHO, enabling range extender on missiles without any significant penalty was the change in balance of heavy mechs.

And its not long ago that the general statement was "missiles suck in pvp"...

Annihilator wrote:

And its not long ago that the general statement was "missiles suck in pvp"...

But then someone who wanted to tell you the opposite, got enough EP to be deadly.

And the whine begins!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please