26 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-07-05 21:29:51)

Re: FOOM Scan1App - Artifact Scanning Tool

Cpt Underpants wrote:

Current version installs "XDCC Catcher Basic" and is flagged as malware.

Cpt,

Engr and I have looked at the issue.  It appear to be a problem with the WinZip self extractor.  The program is using a temp file shared by all WinZip self extractor programs.  For one reason or another, my setup.exe isn't overwriting previous files.  Thus, when the msi goes to start the install process another application's installer is launched.

To resolve the issue, download and extract into an empty folder.  That workaround solves the issue for the mean time.  We are also looking at tweaking the self extractor to give us a unique setup name and a longer term solution.

We did scan the tool before publishing it and it doesn't contain anything we are aware of.  However, if you have any questions about the authenticity of the download, the checksums are on the download page to verify.

/updated OP with this info.

Gut Punch wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
  • please add a dropdownlist where i can choose which artifact the entry is. like "numiquol observer II".
    That way i can enter all results the scanner shows at once, and identifie them afterwards

• different color for result circles depending on the choice

Can you expand a bit on your multicolor idea?  What are you trying to accomplish?

I think he wants to have it so you could check a box saying Num OB II then check the box blue, then input the coords and then open a new one check a box saying PEL Indy III then check x color box input the coords. So the end product would be I shoot 3 shots and get all the locations with color coded rings then just match up green overlaying rings is this the blues are this purple is this.

End product would be a list with 4 colums with check boxes that has the factions, cache type, cache level, and a color for rings before you input the coords. Making multiple cache finding very easy. This would be an intresting addition. Hope I got that right Annihilator smile

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

can you make backround blue so islands look some natural? tongue

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

yeah khadia, exactly

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

After using it for while - got some suggestions:

• please add a dropdownlist where i can choose which artifact the entry is. like "numiquol observer II".
    That way i can enter all results the scanner shows at once, and identifie them afterwards

• asking for an actuall screen-capture ocr option would be to much... big_smile

btw, great tool!

The reason it is called Scan1App and not ScanApp is that ScanApp does what you described, but is more complicated.  Reducing the complexity by focusing on one scan target (instead of having to type in each of the items in eash scan) makes the tool a lot simpler.

New version in testing that attempts to solve the setup issue reported in this thread.  Also adds the ability to change the color of the ocean, as requested by Dan.  Should be available in the next day or so.

Just wanted to add a word of thanks.  Very nice tool!

Lovely little tool, thanks very much for putting it together!

Is this application offline? Has a connection to sbsfe-a.geo.vip.bf1.yahoo.com.

Please explain to clear this up.

-PFenix

The program checks for updates (another one to come shortly to update maps to include terrain).  Thus it is referencing back to Engr's site.  Hence the connection.

GP, could you look at the Perp Carto program and look into either working with them to have the Scan App incorporated, or using some of the layer masks with your Scan App?

Having the 'navigable terrain' layer option would make it ever so much easier to know which direction I need to go to get around something or avoid a spawn, ect.  As there are different layers for different bot classes that's of paramount importance.

link to post:  http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -and-more/

Heh, already ahead of you there.  Next release will have terrain overlays based on your bot type.

New version relased.

Good News:
Has attempted setup fix, ability to change ocean colors, and passible terrain overlays (see Display menu).

Bad News:
Image changes required more images in PNG format which are larger.  Download grew to 43MB.

I tried a number of ways to skin this cat.  Check out the change page to get a feeling.  Lots of other attemps didn't even make an internal release...

I like the additional features but if the file size increase is a killer for you, let me know.  Could have the download not have added capabilities but have a download with the "upgrade" images if that helps.  More complex for me, but not for you...

Enjoy (I hope)

FYI: I could add the bookmarks offered by other web based applications but in a way that doesn't share them with the world.  Let me know on that also.

Fast download which does not bother me at least! About the size. Took about 40 sec.

40 (edited by Engr 2011-07-14 09:06:09)

xXPhantomFenix wrote:

Is this application offline? Has a connection to sbsfe-a.geo.vip.bf1.yahoo.com.

Please explain to clear this up.

-PFenix

The only "connection" that the application makes is to aengr.com (hosted on att.yahoo.com) to check for updates.  Users can disable this if desired.

That being said, if you are concerned about running a downloaded desktop application, then look into a Virtual Machine (often called sandboxing).  A web based application may or may not be better for security, but there is a lot of calculation going on (and I'm old school).

can you add a calculate button on the mini scan entry form. I like to use the mini on my game screen and the map on the other.

Zex Maxwell wrote:

can you add a calculate button on the mini scan entry form. I like to use the mini on my game screen and the map on the other.

Yeah, or a function key?

43 (edited by Dan 2011-07-25 01:05:17)

Could you add some kind of labels for scan input? Also please add multiple distance entrys (with multiple labels) so we dont need to type same coordinates all the time for several sites which are in range.

Also display for specific bots doesnt work correctly

Why the client uses 850MB RAM? Its almost like PO client big_smile

Our robots are made by Jesus himself with the help of MacGyver and blessed by Chuck Noris

Dan wrote:

Could you add some kind of labels for scan input? Also please add multiple distance entrys (with multiple labels) so we dont need to type same coordinates all the time for several sites which are in range.

Also display for specific bots doesnt work correctly

Why the client uses 850MB RAM? Its almost like PO client big_smile

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by overlays for bots not working?  We know that the current version doesn't have structure data on the passible terrain overlay.  Until recently, we didn't have it.  That should be added in the next release.

As for the memory usage... yeah we will look in to that.  Might be an issue with .Net grabbing all of the picture files ahead of time.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/foom.png/

Thats how overlay is working on my laptop hmm

Awesome app!

Annihilator wrote:

After using it for while - got some suggestions:

• asking for an actuall screen-capture ocr option would be to much... big_smile

btw, great tool!

I too would like either the ability to set a colour per scan result or tag it with a type so I can scan more than 1 thing at a time.. I'm actually getting pretty good at scanning 2 things at a time with this app, but anything that makes it easier would seriously help.

For everyone who wants to input multiple sites from one x,y position, help us try and solve this problem: how do you deal with multiple sites with the same name showing up on a scan?  Furthermore, if you go off chasing one site to its conclusion, and in the process lose one or more of these same named sites, how do you differentiate between them again?

48 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-07-26 17:30:55)

Dan wrote:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/foom.png/

Thats how overlay is working on my laptop hmm

I have to wonder if the PNG files were modified in some manner...

Can you try uninstalling, verifying that all png files were deleted, and reinstalling?

Lastly, just to verify, what version of Windows are you using?  Are you using a .Net emmulation in Linux by chance?

Credit where credit is due.

This application is really sweet,  I avoided trying it at first as I thought it might spoil artifact hunting and I also wanted to practice and learn the system myself anyway.

But there is only so far you can get unless your good with maths and triangulation.

By the way, 40mb is no sweat consdering how usefull this tool is.

I cant even think of many ways to improve it.   It would be handy if you had the 'expected location' coordinates as an overlay.. you know like the FPS indicator on FRAPS?

Anyway, good job o7

50 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-07-27 17:00:32)

If you have the status bar active (on the bottom) when you click "calculate", it should give you a estimated position (x, y) represented by the cross hairs on the graphical part.  We fooled around with displaying the locations on the overlay but found they got lost or were hard to see when you had several scans up.  The letters became hard to read in a swarm of reds and greens.

Back on the multiple site entry... I'm going to see if the devs can put a unique ID for a scan site onto the geoscanner so when you get multiple results with the same name, you can differentiate between them.