Re: The amounts of crashes are getting silly now :(

Considering how little 2GB of memory is today, any plans to make it 64 bit at some point so it can use more memory?
(I have no idea if it will actually accomplish anything, and I'd love to read a good explanation smile)

On that note, I have strangely never crashed in this game yet considering all the reports. I mostly dock/undock though, don't teleport that much.

Dear DevBoyC,

First of all props to your team that are so quick to kep in touch with the community. Although the number of problems seem to be high, having such quick response is brilliant and promise well! big_smile

Today i had some disconnects on both my toons and since i run them on different machine I figured out it could be helpful to say my story.

One toon i run on a quad core 4gigs ram nvidia card gtx260 (everything is asus in my main pc) I was mining in this toon.

Second toon running on laptop dell d530. everything turned to minimum on the crappy lappy.

Internet connection is 12mb up 4mb down (i download at 1mb/s speed)

I DC only once on my crappy laptop only when jumping a teleport. Rest of the time i was just in sequer loting can. I did 4 or 5 jumps total.

I DC'd 4 times on my main pc while standing still and mining. I noticed sometimes the modules were not showing to cycle and sometimes the red light persisted even after the mining laser was not miing from the tile. (bug?)

On my main I do a lot of alt tabbing as I have explorer and a bunch of programs open all the time. Game runs always perfectly smooth with only 100ms latency throughout. Once the crash report thingy worked but the other times it also crashed!

Regards
Toninu

sidenote: the profilerwindow itself, especially the "terrain elements" will crash your client wink

if BoyC didnt fix it yet....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Try running game in 16bit mode, that seemed to help me a lot.

We found the cause for the teleport/dock disconnects while doing the memory profiling - that issue seems to be resolved, and the fix will go out with the next client.

The client should not crash because you have AA on - it may slow down badly, but it should not crash.   

I just crashed when uploading a tile scan while on highway at high speed.  Tell me THAT has something to do with AA when my AA is already set OFF ....

Devs - fix the crashing issue, please?!?!  This is basic game functionality and should work - there is no reason a stable client would keep crashing like this...

I'm not mad, but I do tell you that I have subbed for 3 months.  Whether or not I resub depends upon how well issues of basic functionality are addressed.  The EvE devs rarely fixed known bugs, and until recently, all windows suffered from failed object inheritance algorithms.  I will never again put up with garbage passed off as production code.  There are too many good games with flawless mechanics to choose from : I don't have to put up with problems because as a consumer, I have a plethora of choices.  Just think about people trying out your game only to experience the client crashing every 1/2 hour.  NOT A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION.  I'm here with many other EvE refugees, but I'll head out on my own rather than put up with continuous client crashes.  Like I said, I'm not mad, I just don't want to spend my valuable recreation time interrupted by reloading after client crashes...

It's nutz.  Please find and fix the problem and/or post workarounds.

You probably crashed while uploading a scan because the map is currently f*cked to hell.  Notice the huge lag when trying to close the map?  I'm guessing the client isn't interrupting the process that renders the map in higher resolution, so if you close it before that its in high quality, it will lag to hell.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was related to your crash.

->You just lost The Game<-

DEV BoyC wrote:

We found the cause for the teleport/dock disconnects while doing the memory profiling - that issue seems to be resolved, and the fix will go out with the next client.

Excellent.

DEV BoyC wrote:

Awesome news! Thanks smile

In the meantime tracking the memory issues is still under way, and I'm generating pretty graphs like this one. I'll explain it all in a blogpost once we solved the problem.

The graph is off the charts!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

DEV BoyC wrote:

In the meantime tracking the memory issues is still under way, and I'm generating pretty graphs like this one. I'll explain it all in a blogpost once we solved the problem.

Which one of those lines is me charging to a blazing death in strike ops on Beta? smile

Good show, we await the fix. smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Hope u guys have some success soon as I'm losing robots to these disconnects whilst sitting still just outside the starting Terminal. Like come back into the game less than 15 secs later and hey presto in Terminal with no bot except a starter one.:(

You know you can get a gm to give you  back any bot lost to PVE and crash?

Update: I've managed to find a bunch of allocated but not used memory that has been cleared (which will lighten the client by about 120-250 mbytes depending on shadow settings), but there is no clear indication of a memory leak or memory pooling issue in the client anywhere. It is clear from the diagnostics however that the 3D engine consumes by far the most of the memory, especially when cranked up.
So for those of you experiencing frequent crashes my current suggestions are to
1. turn off shadows
2. turn off rendering of decorational plants
3. set draw distance to the middle setting (which would be the default anyways, above that are the "overkill" and "are you out of your **** mind?" settings)

These should reduce the memory footprint of the 3D engine and thus reduce the possibility of the client running out of memory.
Also, to help my search it'd be helpful to know what those of you who crash are usually doing because we might still have a memory pooling problem with some sort of activity that I didn't test for.
Useful information would be:
-islands you visit when crashing
-things you do when out and about when crashing
-time you spend with various activities
-about how many people are around

If these are things you feel are corporation secrets or similar, feel free to PM me here with the info.

41 (edited by Alexander 2011-07-07 23:24:28)

I attempted to keep the profiler open while changing zones but the graph doesn't show much and when the client crashes I can see the spike for a moment because the client is gone.

Could we get the profiler to somehow be a separate program in the future at some point so that we can log client activity without client stability issues.

Edit: Thanks for the update you beat me by 10 minutes. Servers me right for going AFK mid-post. I see you've said that client settings could be causing it and that is possible but many of us must then have every similar settings and hardware or OS issues to crash as frequently as they do. I've been rather safe from crashes and I already do as your suggest so you may have a point.

Would be nice if turning decorative plants off worked though. Turns out it only doesn't render old plants but the moment new ones grow or change the client displays them. Could that be fixed?

These settings are not the cause of the issue, but they can relieve the memory pressure and therefore fix lots of the crashes.

I'm having frequent (at least once an hour) crashes. Not doing anything special: I'm a noob and have never been on any beta yet (not even on the new alfas!).

Most of the crashes happen wen zoning (docking, undocking, teleporting) or when there's a map or radar related activity (open or zoom the map or the radar).

I think that the map/radar crashes and the zoning crashes are separate problems, however.

A few times (but this happens rarely) the radar background behaves erratically. When this happens the dynamic info is allright but the background isn't. Sometimes it'all white, some other times it shows random bitmap data. Zooming out generally fixes it. But zooming back in triggers the problem again (sometimes showing different random bitmap data but eventually ending up with a white background).

Here's an example of the bugged radar showing random bitmap data as background.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Could this be another thing connected with bugged gbf file? (or whatever it's called? sorry not at home). Try to delete the biggest file in your game folder and download it again with the client.

45 (edited by starchura 2011-07-08 11:09:51)

for me is the same on all island. (win 7 64 bits)

30 mins pve + dock + market + fitting + undock it's ok, but after if i want use a teleport = crash

In transport mission only, undock + teleport + dock it's ok, but after if i want use a teleport or dedock = crash

i have try use a program that allow perpetuum to use large memory address (allow program use more  than 2gb) but is the same
Yet this technique has been working with a tank game but not sure that exactly the same problem

ps: sorry for my bad english.

Norrdec wrote:

Could this be another thing connected with bugged gbf file? (or whatever it's called? sorry not at home). Try to delete the biggest file in your game folder and download it again with the client.

Besides the fact that I play on a Mac therefore my "game folder" is nothing like what you think it is, I do not think it's the gbf file. It's not systematic. It looks pretty much like a pointer getting the wrong value.

I do suspect it to be an unrelated problem because the main crashes seem to be due to an out of memory condition while the background bug of the radar seems to be something wrong within a shader or some other GPU code. But I do not have sufficient knowledge of the game code to judge for sure.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

didn't the crash-rate increase after fixing the "strange sound when undock" bug?

i got more sound related crashed recently, and still, teleporting from attalica to tellesis will cause a VERY LOUD noise.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Not sure if this might be interesting or helpful to you guise but here is my troubleshooting:

After roughly 1-2 hours of gameplay my sounds starts buggering up, by that i mean different sound effects start dissapearing, but not all. Background noises stop happening, some weapon sounds are heard but most are or very quiet or not playing at all. Music is okay thou.

So as soon as this happens i already 99% know that next docking or teleporting i do will crash my client, which 99% of the times it does.

I crash everytime the game tries to load a map.  Started with undocking giving me a Sytem Message saying"unable to connect to zone. try logging in again"; this would happen before the game started to load the area I was undocking into and continued despite re-logging and then re-installing the whole game.

Now it's moved to attempting to undock but crashing before the load is complete.  This happens everytime without fail.  I am now unable to play Perpetuum because the game cannot load without crashing.  Can we get this fixed please.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

50 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-08 14:46:16)

I will ask this question again, did you try to delete and re-download the .gbf file?

/edit I dont know if the reinstall really worked. Maybe try to dl the client downloader form the site again and then install? There were some changes done to it.