Topic: How can I avoid loosing another termis?

-The point of this post is to both vent my uncontrollable rage and gather advice on how to avoid the follow situation-

I'm a new player who just lost his first termis. There I was, quietly mining titan ore near the shore on Tellesis, when suddenly 2 gangs of NPCs appear on either side of me and destroy what I've saved up for the past few days in mere seconds. I was not amused.

While the financial loss was harmful the future implications were devastating. Is mining something you can only feasibly do with a group of fully armed combat mechs? Do I need to keep my eyes glued to the screen for countless, mind numbing hours to look for the first signs of trouble on the horizon?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy mining/ industry. So much so that I actually shun combat. But I accept the fact that most of it is not overly interesting. This is why I usually just keep half an eye on my progress and do something else while my cargo fills up.

If roaming NPCs are so deadly in both raw power and unpredictability then am I doomed to forever stay in starter zones shooting green squares?

Or perhaps there are ways to defend against such encounters. If there are please enlighten me. I'm quite disgruntled.

Re: How can I avoid loosing another termis?

I know the NPCs that got you today as I was mining in their roam path as well. Im guessing you got double demobbed and it was GG? The only advice I can give is to mine in a group, so that if you do miss the warning on your radar (as I do ALOT big_smile ) your friend can PM you a warning.

As much as Id rather just sit there and mine risk free for countless hours, I much prefer this system that means there is somewhat risk to afk mining.

Ive done about 20 hours of mining on Tell, and Ive only come across the NPC roamers today, so I dont think you're doomed per se, I just think that if you see them, GTFO and mine somewhere else.

Stay away from the coast, so you have room to run.
2 roaming groups simultaneously is very unlucky, not seen that nyself

I'm only seeing two options in these kinds of situations:

1. Tank the damage (shield/ armor reppers)
2. Have a faster mech

Given indy bots don't have particularly strong attributes in tank or speed I've come to the conclusion that I'm boned.

Termis are great shield tanks, just need to sacrifice some mining efficiency. I for 1 have always skilled my miners so i only need 2x rechargers max to get stable mining lasers, so i can fit tank in the other slots.

In the end it comes down to being super efficient and factor in a loss, or tank your miner and have lower yield.

what krupp said, also, noone says you cantt fit a lwf and a shield in onto your termis.

as combat player i cant go out with my artemis fully stuffed with weapon, tunings and accumulator only, without armor repair.

Given indy bots don't have particularly strong attributes in tank or speed I've come to the conclusion that I'm boned.

hmm, industrial heavy mechs all got resist bonus, harvesting mech got demob resist, termis isn't particulary slow to beginn with, and if you fit it right, you can go out with med recharger, 1 med accumulator, a lwf and a medium shield generator.

if you can't fit that because your char is to young yet: don't mine on tellesis

Attalica = relatively safe, tiny threat from roaming npcs
Tellesis = small threat from roaming groups, but better ore deposits
Beta island = higher threaet from raoming npcs or pvp player  - even most valuable ore

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I'm feeling you here on this one, I rolled out of Tellesis to my favorite Sterminite spot, got all set and within 2 minutes a Grand Observer rolled onto my radar. Bad luck, yep. Good Luck too, because I spotted it right away, and escaped without incident.

There's roamers all over Tellesis, unless of your in your combat bot looking for them, so just knowing that it can happen should help you avoid losing another termis.

But as Anni alludes to, it may be an "Alpha" island but that doesn't mean its a safe island.

Equipping my mech with a shield seems viable. Exactly how well will it tank a grand observer for example?

Also, how long will they give chase?

"how long" depends on your skill, how much accumulator you had when it started firing, and how many hardeners you use instead of indy tuners.

Short answer, not long enough if it gets to demob range, or if your moving at -50 Kph, or if it's the Superior GO.

The upside is they won't chase you very far off their roam path, but you do have to see and react to them before they start locking you. The Superior Kane is fast though... sad

Mouse Tiger wrote:

Stay away from the coast, so you have room to run.
2 roaming groups simultaneously is very unlucky, not seen that nyself

Summs it up prefectly here the roamers normally head for the coast. Unless it was a player spawned cache. Mineing on tellesis I've only had to run from one roaming mob and they never chased me cause I saw them far away.

The SGO Kain is fast for an observer.

I think your problem was you were AFK long enough that that either wandered to you or they spawed on your location. Either way chalk it up to bad luck or learning. Also if it was right after a server reset lol you should have thought about that! What do you think respawns when the server gets reset.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

This might be a bug... but treat it like a t-rex. Just stand still. They'll ignore you.

Standing still doesn't work since a few patches ago smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Standing still doesn't work since a few patches ago smile

I'll go ahead and call you on it as I was mining liquizit on Hershfield on Tuesday evening and it worked then.

When in doubt safe log out.

I always go for speed fit a nice t3/t4 lwf and train navigation skills.

RIP PERPETUUM

The patch specifically addressed the issue with spawning infestations with artifacts.

If the roaming bots don't come within the normal distance that they would aggro on you, then it doesn't matter if your standing still or moving.

I'm not sure I would want to test not moving with an SO Kain on the roam.

But if this said roamer did walk over you GnB, that's probably going to get fixed too.