Re: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

Morgan Raines wrote:
Raife wrote:
Morgan Raines wrote:

Constructive. Also very much expected. Same old story. Just dont respond to my posts ok ?

Might as well just bolt dude. Take the hit and scram. Your account is being compensated when this is all fixed, they don't owe you a refund. If you can't or won't accept that, then there is no help for you. Seeing as you are the only one so far who has had this little issue, it's fairly safe to say you are alone.

I have not asked for a refund ? I was aggreeing with a dude on some of his issues. He was the one who wanted a refund.

Wow, second time I get an insulting respone, guess im not the only one who is a bit touchy over not being able to play. Or is it just how you always act ?

For reasons other than the game not working, this starts to feel like a mistake. One only has to air a little critiscism about how things are handled and you get manhandled in the forums. l o l. Would it help if I said I really like the game ? big_smile

My bad, that wasn't intended for you. It was of course for spawnster. It was a misquote that was completely my fault, and I apologize.

302 (edited by Arga 2011-06-29 22:12:40)

McKinlay wrote:

Perhaps the number of subs should be limited to a number the servers and code can handle

Of all the posts, this one is the most interesting; and not in a fun way.

I'd love to hear how that would work.

Edit: 300+ posts go go!

DEV Gargaj wrote:

This is as embarrassing for us as it may seem, and I'm not sure being blindsided by the flock of users is even a good excuse, but that's all the power of hindsight. All we can do now is work as hard as we can to fix the whole thing as soon as possible.

Thanks for the hard work and the update.

Also: don't be embarrassed. Complex systems are called that for a reason after all. Anyone with even a limited amount of IT experience should know that and have a great deal of understanding for your situation.

Doubling the amount of players in a single day is a pretty damn good "excuse" imo. I'd like to see EVE handle that or even WOW. big_smile

Keep fighting the good fight!

- Melor

Raife wrote:
Morgan Raines wrote:
Raife wrote:

Might as well just bolt dude. Take the hit and scram. Your account is being compensated when this is all fixed, they don't owe you a refund. If you can't or won't accept that, then there is no help for you. Seeing as you are the only one so far who has had this little issue, it's fairly safe to say you are alone.

I have not asked for a refund ? I was aggreeing with a dude on some of his issues. He was the one who wanted a refund.

Wow, second time I get an insulting respone, guess im not the only one who is a bit touchy over not being able to play. Or is it just how you always act ?

For reasons other than the game not working, this starts to feel like a mistake. One only has to air a little critiscism about how things are handled and you get manhandled in the forums. l o l. Would it help if I said I really like the game ? big_smile

My bad, that wasn't intended for you. It was of course for spawnster. It was a misquote that was completely my fault, and I apologize.

Nevemind , its all good. If i was coming of as being agressive , as someone pointed out, I apoligize, that was not my intent.

305 (edited by Raife 2011-06-29 22:32:35)

McKinlay wrote:

It's akin to me opening a restaurant and then being surprised when people show up for dinner, knowing I don't have enough food, but seating them anyway.

Perhaps the number of subs should be limited to a number the servers and code can handle and expanded as performance is improved and demand increases? I don't know maybe there isn't simulations that can be run and we are really in the technical equivalent of sticking your finger in the air, or driving till the wheels fall off.

I guess it's more about getting people through the door, hooked and invested, much like the relationship between peddler and fiend.

That comparison wouldn't be quite accurate. As it's a software issue and not hardware, it would be more like opening a restaurant, and the servers seat the customers, knowing what the place can hold and how much they can serve, then having a food delivery not come due to (insert random delivery error here), and the kitchen not advising the front of the house. Thus food is limited, and they make due with what they have, causing chaos and interruptions all along the way for the staff.

Or having one of the cooks get sick and go home as it opens and no one to cover them, causing bottlenecks in the entire process. That one is probrably more accurate.

To the Devs: keep up the great work!  what comes out of this, either good or bad, will dictate our dev team/community relationship, and so far you guys have been superb. 

To the people ***, your *** is understood... however, these guys got a increase in population that's larger than god knows what... so chill out and let them fix the problem instead of crying and whining and taking up their precious time.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Quick summary once again:

1. It's a server software problem. Not OS, not hardware, not network, it's 100% our fault. Trust us on this one, this is why we're working on a fix. I'm quite sure that CRM is itching to elaborate on the bug in a future devblog entry.
2. The server cap is temporary and it fluctuates depending on how dodgy the server is. It will be removed once we fix the problem. The other options are to a) lift the cap and deliver the game unplayable for everyone or b) shut the whole thing down.
3. We plan to reimburse time lost (currently clocking at 3-4 days) due to the server cap. That includes both trial and subscribed.
4. We're doing our best to update you guys about what's going on, but at the same time, going "nope, not yet" every 5 minutes is also pretty pointless. There's usually a DEV or GM both in game or on IRC to update you on the ongoings.

So far we've put out a patch every day since Saturday, each with the hopes to fix the problem, and while we got closer to the end result, we failed to identify what the problem was. (That said, these fixes will remain in the server.) We currently have a pretty good idea on what the actual problem is, and we're really just looking for confirmation before shutting the server down to patch it out. Hopefully still today.

This is as embarrassing for us as it may seem, and I'm not sure being blindsided by the flock of users is even a good excuse, but that's all the power of hindsight. All we can do now is work as hard as we can to fix the whole thing as soon as possible.

Gargaj Most of the people from NeX that i have spoken too,  just love that your giving us multiple updates per day while working on this fix and with the avalibility of the staff both in the various chat channels and irc we're just over the moon! We also hope that you will have this resolved as soon as possible.. we're really looking forward to having the server at 100% so we all can enjoy this Great game!

Harack

Klyst Lysander wrote:
Raife wrote:

Press R to primary,

Oh my... I love you.

B is global reload
V is open can/corpse
G is loot all

can i get some love too?

Raife wrote:
McKinlay wrote:

It's akin to me opening a restaurant and then being surprised when people show up for dinner, knowing I don't have enough food, but seating them anyway.

Perhaps the number of subs should be limited to a number the servers and code can handle and expanded as performance is improved and demand increases? I don't know maybe there isn't simulations that can be run and we are really in the technical equivalent of sticking your finger in the air, or driving till the wheels fall off.

I guess it's more about getting people through the door, hooked and invested, much like the relationship between peddler and fiend.

That comparison wouldn't be quite accurate. As it's a software issue and not hardware, it would be more like opening a restaurant, and the servers seat the customers, knowing what the place can hold and how much they can serve, then having a food delivery not come due to (insert random delivery error here), and the kitchen not advising the front of the house. Thus food is limited, and they make due with what they have, causing chaos and interruptions all along the way for the staff.

Or having one of the cooks get sick and go home as it opens and no one to cover them, causing bottlenecks in the entire process. That one is probrably more accurate.

Actually a more accurate analogy, is you walk into a diner with your PC, order a great meal which is served to you hot and deliciously. You then carry your PC home all satisfied, boot up and open Perpetuum, but can't play because the developers have put a cap on the number of players it allows to connect while they chase down a now identified bug. Resulting in 350 happy customers instead of 0 happy customers.

And then you eat pie that was leftover from the meal and go to bed.

Arga wrote:

I like pie

Yea, I know right smile

Then again, cookies take a close second, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip *drool*- no really, try them - the cookies, not the drool.

Arga wrote:

Actually a more accurate analogy, is you walk into a diner with your PC, order a great meal which is served to you hot and deliciously. You then carry your PC home all satisfied, boot up and open Perpetuum, but can't play because the developers have put a cap on the number of players it allows to connect while they chase down a now identified bug. Resulting in 350 happy customers instead of 0 happy customers.

Right, let's shut up about the analogies.

See, much more effective at getting the message across.

Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

Can everyone just remain calm?  It won't be long before this little episode will be a distant memory, and the long-term effect of it will be a much larger playerbase.  Isn't that worth a few days of server naughtiness?

How About they NEED more bandwidth, and JUST maybe there in a location where they CANT upgrade, they still took my 10 dollars knowing they could not handle the players. SO what does that tell you. ALSO a mmo that is only holding 350 players???? you got to be kidding me. 350, but there still taking peoples money. I want a refund NOW.

what is this i don't even

Seriously, you need to
A) Relax
B) Buy a clue

That or gtfo out of my game already wink

Harack wrote:
Klyst Lysander wrote:
Raife wrote:

Press R to primary,

Oh my... I love you.

B is global reload
V is open can/corpse
G is loot all

can i get some love too?

Hell yes.  <3

So good to know all these shortcuts.  Now... if someone will just tell me what people are using to loot from some distance.

-G

A metric tonne of kudos to the Perp staff for being so forthright and frequent with updates to us.

Devs: do what you have to do.
Coming from Eve, the land of dishonesty and being up front about it is very refreshing.

I wonder if all of the 'I paid for it I want a refund!!!' people came from eve as well?
Let them fix the game people..... in the meantime work on your honedoo list or mow the lawn. big_smile

o/ All

Total noob here (it's in the name) but just want to remind all of the Eve players that have come here that this isn't CCP. That said, save your nerd rage for CCP, please. If you are a true vet of Eve then you will remember a time when Eve went through similar growing pains, yes? We made it through it and the game was better for it. This is a brand new and ever evolving MMO - these kinds of problems are to be expected, especially when they just got slammed by a bunch of ex Eve players like me :)

So, relax, take your pitchforks and torches back to CCP where they belong and give these guys a break, eh?

Also, while I'm on the topic - this isn't Eve. There are no internet spaceships here and while CCP had a lot of really good ideas for Eve, this isn't Eve. In other words, quit comparing this game to Eve and suggesting the devs include everything that Eve has just so it feels more like home to you. It's a different game with different lore and game play. Get into the lore and game play or don't get into the game I say. Enjoy it for what it is, don't hate it for what it isn't.

@Devs - really good job communicating and keeping on top of this issue until it's fully resolved. No need to be embarrassed... as I said - growing pains are to be expected :)

319 (edited by Arga 2011-06-29 23:57:44)

Loyal Servant wrote:

Coming from Eve, the land of dishonesty and being up front about it is very refreshing.

Probably an issue with punctuation, but its hard to be mad at someone being up front about being dishonest big_smile

Brannor McThife wrote:
Harack wrote:
Klyst Lysander wrote:

Oh my... I love you.

B is global reload
V is open can/corpse
G is loot all

can i get some love too?

Hell yes.  <3

So good to know all these shortcuts.  Now... if someone will just tell me what people are using to loot from some distance.

-G

Just double-click on the container or target it and press Interact or V.

Thank you to all those PO vets that understand. I'm sorry I'm taking up system resources.

Keep up the good work Devs. I understand that your only high-volume test can be a real, high-volume test. Hang in there. Try to keep your minds healthy to maximize production.

I'm a former Eve player, was in PO closed beta and now recently sub'ed to PO. This stinks in the short-term, but such work is necessary for long-term growth.

322 (edited by Boxotrix 2011-06-30 00:02:37)

We've all found logging in and maybe spamming the "Log In.." button a bit of a pain, even immensely frustrating, but that's mainly because we the playerbase love the game and hate to be kept away from it.

My advice?  Just wait it out, be cool, and try to log on every 3 or 4 hours.. 

I took up knitting.. (Drop one, pearl one..)

Meanwhile you are gathering free EP, and not paying for it getting credited extra days for every single day it's down..

Not exactly a good business model either for the game sellers so, I'm sure they are just as anxious to work out the server problems as we are.

Whining meanwhile, is unproductive, and immature. - Patience is a virtue. roll

smile

PATCH ATTEMPT AT 2AM CEST (in about an hour)

May the Syndicate be with us.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Thanks to you I'll wait another hour before going to sleep mad

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Crossing fingers and hoping that will be it.