1 (edited by Container 2010-12-17 05:56:56)

Topic: PERP101: Beginner's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I wish I had 1NIC for every time someone asked these questions in Help Channel.  I hope these are helpful.

1.  How do you pass your items between Characters?

If you have characters on different accounts you trade each other at the same terminal.
If you want to pass items to a character on the same account there are only 2 ways:
a) leave it in a Field Container somewhere and remember the opening code, switch to 2nd character and open the Container,
b) if you are in the same Player Corporation, leave the items in the Corp Storage then pick them up with the other character (providing both characters have access to Corp Storage)

2.  How do you gain experience/EP in this game?

You gain 1 EP a minute for your account.  There is no other way to make EP.  This is both great and frustrating.  On one hand, you don't have to grind missions for EP (you grind missions for loot and NIC).  On the other hand, you cannot go faster so you have to be careful where you spend your EP.

3.  How many Characters can you have on each account and how is EP shared among them?
You can have a maximum of 3 Characters per account.  You gain 1 EP a minute to your ACCOUNT not character(s).  You can spend this account pool of EP on any character in your account, but this means that EP disappears and can no longer be spent on any other character.  That EP amount you see on the top left of your character screen is the EP that your ACCOUNT has, not the amount that specific character has.

4.  Is there any point training more than 1 character per account?
Generally no.  The exception is if you want different characters at different locations to save on travelling.  Or if you want to take advantage of different starting attributes and starting skills of different Megacorp/School/Speciality/Corp/Spark choices on different characters.  But I do not recommend it as it is easy to squander EP.

5.  Can I run multiple accounts?
Sure, actually it is quite common.  Many people have 1 combat and 1 industrial account to explore all areas of the game.  If you have 1 account, you won't have a problem playing the game.  However, it is even more advisable to join a good corp which has other players to help cover the areas you did not skill for.

6.  Is storage at fixed locations or accessible at all terminals?
Storage (both Private and Corp Storage) is local.  If you put something in Private or Corp Storage in ICS-alpha for example you can only access it again there, not in any other terminal.

7.  How do I train skills with my EP?  Do I need to buy skill books?
Go to Agent Profile->Extensions.  You do not need to buy skill books off the market.  Everything you need is already there on the Extensions page in one place.  You can upgrade the skills you currently possess for EP.  For new skills there is a NIC cost to install right on the Extensions page itself as well as the EP for the skill.  Just click on the install button next to the skill on the Extensions page.

8.  What happens if my robot gets blown up?
You lose your robot and everything on it.  You reappear in whatever base you set as your home base.  You can request an Arkhe there free if you need it.  You can go back to loot the container from your wreck but chances are someone else will first.  Only about 50% of your modules will be dropped as loot.  There are no clones, and no implants like in stEVE.
There is no skill loss ever.  There is insurance if you right click on your robot in Private Storage but it only lasts 5 days.

9. Can other players shoot me/can I shoot other players?
On the 3 starter/alpha islands New Virginia, Attalica and Daoden, there is no PVP allowed UNLESS someone flags themselves as open to be shot.  If you didn't flag yourself, you are totally safe.  You can shoot at those with an orange triangle on the overview (they flagged themselves), but once you shoot, you are also flagged and anyone can now shoot you for 5 minutes, after which the flag timer wears off.
On the 3 beta islands Hokkogaros, Norhoop and Domhalarn, there is free PVP, shoot anyone and be shot except at the teleporter to the alpha islands where there is a border of safety.

10. What happens to my EP if I delete a character?
It is gone forever, you DO NOT get EP back.  In addition, deleting any character will incur an additional stiff EP penalty of 2880EP, along with any EP on the character.  This measure is to reduce players making too many alts too lightly. (Each account has only 3 character slots, you don't want to clog them up with useless alts that will cost you EP to delete later.)

11. Can I reset my extensions?
Not at present.  There is currently no game feature to do so.  If in doubt, don't spend EP till you are absolutely sure what to do with it.

12. Do I lose EP when I die?
No. No effect on EP.

13. How much standing do I need for level 2 Assignments?  How come I don't see it on my Assignment's tab though I have the standing?
You need over 1.0 standing for lvl 2 assignments, Check the 'All assignments' tab in the Assignments window to see which outpost you need to go to.  When you get the next level of missions, the missions may not appear on the 1st tab as that only shows assignments at the current station and the new level of missions is at another station.  So you need to check the "All assignments" tab.

I will add more questions as they occur.
Thanks for additional Q&A: Shadowlance, CenDre, Kroft, Foo

Re: PERP101: Beginner's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Thanks, very helpful.

-Adding this to my list of must-reads as the proverbial 'noob' in these parts.

Now if i can just figure out how to fire these cannons...

Aurran

Question: What happens to my EP if I delete a character?

Answer: It is gone forever, you DO NOT get EP back.

Great thread, make it sticky!

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

6 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-25 21:42:59)

Might add that deleting any character will incur a stiff ep penalty (2880 is what I saw posted)where you lose several thousand EP jsut to delete the character, along with any ep on the character.

Question: Do I lose EP for PvE or PvP death?

You'll be glad to hear there is no EP loss on death smile

Nice thread, thanks!

Might want to add this as I see it asked in /help all the time:

You need over 1.0 standing for lvl 2 assignments, Check the 'All assignments' tab in the Assignments window to see which outpost you need to go to.

Maybe add the "Can I reset my extensions?" question/answer?

Updated with the new question and answers in.  Thanks all, and will continue to update semi-regularly.

Excellent thread...wish I read it before I started =p.

13 (edited by Airow 2010-12-22 00:16:35)

Thank you from all of us noobs.

maybe a little help on creating your character (pros/cons) as far as solider/political/industrial etc. It's easy to be safe and pick all military options but info on pros and cons of other selections would be MOST helpful for the folks brand new...i.e. ME smile

Since making a mistake right up front is, at present, very painful and since you can't post here until you already (possibly) made the mistake.

Airow wrote:

Thank you from all of us noobs.

maybe a little help on creating your character (pros/cons) as far as solider/political/industrial etc. It's easy to be safe and pick all military options but info on pros and cons of other selections would be MOST helpful for the folks brand new...i.e. ME smile

Since making a mistake right up front is, at present, very painful and since you can't post here until you already (possibly) made the mistake.

If you want to use bots for combat/PVP, go all military (all choices on the left) and Ubenor even if you want to specialize in EWAR.  The massive requirement for tactics and mechatronics in the Robot Control and Weapon Usage trees means that even if you trained all the electronics heavily you are still better with a full military spec and Ubenor than with any other spec or spark.
I have had people recommend Geinos and other builds but after examination it was not worth it.  Check it out yourself http://www.perpetuum-planner.com/ and see why I recommend full military spec.

For industrial, go all industrial (all the choices in the middle) and Apsidaz.  No doubt about it as Heavy Industry and R&D outweigh any other attributes in Industry.

The political (all right) and Nivalla build is only if that character will only trade, or form a corp, be a pure transport mission runner with Sequer or do bots with only NEXUS mods and no weapons.

...or do bots with only NEXUS mods and no weapons.

even then, a pure green atribute build is often not the best, unless your planning to be nexus buffor for industrial and combat.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

16 (edited by Ral 2011-03-01 15:13:13)

Nice post, thanks for the info.

I have a few questions which I suspect others may have as well.

What are my options for moving bots between bases BESIDES using a transport bot?  For example, I am in Station #1 with Bot #1 and I want to buy Bot #2 from Station #2, but also keep it at Station #1.  I can drive Bot #1 to to Station #2, but then no matter what I have a bot at the wrong station.  It would seem the obvious answer would be free Arkhes everywhere, but I don't know how to request one, if that's even possible?

On a related note, is there a way to see all of the items I have and where they are?  For example, if I have items in two different stations but I forget which ones they are, is there an overall view of my possessions which will list all the stations I have items in?

Is there a way to see your total EP in game?  Not just available, but what you've spent?

Thanks again!

no, there is no asset list, and aside using a hauler, or a bot with enough cargo, you wont be able to transport bots from a to b.

AFAIK, an assault bot can carry a packaged light bot at any time.

if you want to by an assault at station b, then use your light bot (arkhe, castel, intakt, ... )
run there, buy your bigger bot, empty your light, package it, and place it in cargo of the bigger one, run back. the equipped modules have to be equipped at the big bot then, ofc.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

now that was an FAQ...I wish I saw that in the stickies of the "trial account" section a few days ago

If you are reading this as of June 2011.. many of the above have changed so be sure to find out more in game and from patch logs which can be found in your mail in game or on the web here. Still, some of the info is good base stuff to know.