Topic: Server Capping

Greetings,

I'm very new to the game, only played it a day, but have already subscribed and have run into something that I do not like at all.

That being the whole server Capping deal.  Now, I myself know that sometimes stuff happens during the development of a game, so I have no problem with the actual Capping in and of itself.

However, I do have an issue with allowing Free Trials to use up the slotted amounts of Paid Accounts spots.

When you do this type of thing, it is better to keep you Paid subscribers happy, or at least happier, then your Freebies, always.  Therefore it should be set up with a cap on paid, and a much lower cap on free trial accounts able to log in.  It can be done, as I've done it on other gaming servers.

Thus, if you want only 500 accounts on at once, 400 of those are slotted for subscribers, and 100 for Free Trial accounts.  You never have both paid and free on the same capping system, that's a no-no.

2 (edited by Celebro 2011-06-28 19:30:18)

Re: Server Capping

This is just temporary you will be compensated for lost time, trials will not be compensated ofc wink

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … v-gesture/

RIP PERPETUUM

Eh, the whole basis behind needing a cap at all, is due to game issues which warrant it.  In an ideal Nia, it wouldn't be needed.

However, isn't a bad idea to go ahead and code one, doesn't take long, and have it ready in case it is needed again some time in the near future.

Could also have a bit of a beneficial effect, as in, throw out two different messages people get when trying to log in to a capped server, one "There are max number of Trial Accounts logged in at this time" and the other for Paid...and you might also see a lot more of those Trial Accounts become paid subscribers.  (Pay $10 for the 400 person line instead of the 100 person.)

It's something I've heard done on other small games early in their release.  They start having a population issue that they aren't quite ready to handle, so they start capping things.  I was amazed to even see a Trial already for this game.

So, first figure out what you "think" your server can handle, and that's the whole deal, not just the game server.  Also the log in server, the relays, authentication server, all of it.  Then do the math and cap Trials to 20% of that number (Thus, if you think the server can handle 10k accounts, 2k are allowed to be Trials).

Accordingly, if you have to place a true cap, like what was done recently, you stick to the 20% ratio of paid to free trials.

Its almost equally important for the game to allow in trials as it is newly subscribed. If you couldn't get in for the trial, would you have subbed?

Many vets are 'sitting' out, or just logging in for short time to do house keeping, then logging out to allow as many NEW players, of both the trial and newly subbed types, an opportunity to play.

Other vets are logging in and helping the GM's provide great customer service.

And the reminder of the vets are in there helping players learn how PVP works >;)

While the cap is temporary, the 'lost' opportunity of not allowing a trial player to even see the game may be worse... unless it's you that can't get in, so I feel your pain there.

Hope this gets resolved soon so we can all get back to playing!

Devs have mentioned that in light of recent events, a queue system is at the top of their priority list. Although not mentioned, I believe the plan is as a backup in case these lag issues happen in the future. They have no intention of setting a cap during regular playtime

6 (edited by William Bonney 2011-06-28 21:31:27)

William Bonney wrote:

Eh, the whole basis behind needing a cap at all, is due to game issues which warrant it.  In an ideal Nia, it wouldn't be needed.

However, isn't a bad idea to go ahead and code one, doesn't take long, and have it ready in case it is needed again some time in the near future.

Could also have a bit of a beneficial effect, as in, throw out two different messages people get when trying to log in to a capped server, one "There are max number of Trial Accounts logged in at this time" and the other for Paid...and you might also see a lot more of those Trial Accounts become paid subscribers.  (Pay $10 for the 400 person line instead of the 100 person.)

It's something I've heard done on other small games early in their release.  They start having a population issue that they aren't quite ready to handle, so they start capping things.  I was amazed to even see a Trial already for this game.

So, first figure out what you "think" your server can handle, and that's the whole deal, not just the game server.  Also the log in server, the relays, authentication server, all of it.  Then do the math and cap Trials to 20% of that number (Thus, if you think the server can handle 10k accounts, 2k are allowed to be Trials).

Accordingly, if you have to place a true cap, like what was done recently, you stick to the 20% ratio of paid to free trials.

I agree that is is important to get new players in to see the game.  However, I believe it is more important to have what's called Subscriber Retention.  Tick off the people who are paying...and well, they stop paying.  You don't ever know if someone playing for free will have interest in buying your service, that's the thing with Trials.  You expect a certain number will, but never know.  That number never seems constant.  However, you do expect a certain number of Subscribers to continue to Subscribe.  That number, if it's not already, should be tracked and maintained.  You know you have screwed something up if the number of Recurring Subscriptions starts to plummet.

Edited to add:  Also, Trial players aren't "New Players" until they have subscribed.  You must as a business attempt to keep that differentiation when making decisions (as I've seen they've already done with some of their game features).

What you say has good logic. However, I dont think it applies right now. I can't speak for everyone, but we are trying to welcome ALL the ex-eve players with open arms, trial or not. We help trial users as much as new subbed users. I feel that if we take the route where we only focus on subscribed players is not how we want to be percieved. The devs made this game because they enjoy playing it above all. That's how we want to retain subscribers - by showing everyone that we have the best community and best devs.

Bah, you must have posted right while I was editing....I never edit once there's been a reply to one of my posts.

Eh, I agree, give them all the help you feel you can.  Absolutely.  However, they are still running a business...  And me, I am a new player.  A new player who can't log in.  Now, I'm a lot more patient then others, and try to do things in a more constructive manner then just /ragequit.

Tried for an hour earlier to log in, got in, played an hour, game reset, now been trying again to log back in after the reset, to see I can't get in again...

Subscribers are paying for the service.  They should get preferential treatment over Trials.  It's good business to show that you care for those who give you money.

Now, I'm not saying "only focus on subscribers," that's not it at all.  I wouldn't be here at all if I hadn't played the game for a few hours last night and enjoyed myself.

And eh, I'm not really speaking for the "right now" anyhow.  I'm speaking for the not-so distant future as this game gains popularity.  I understand a lot of what goes on with the battle against lag.  Especially when it comes to a single cluster game.  Some things you never thought would influence or cause lag, indeed do.  It's why I'm so vehement to stress test any server, regardless of situation.  IMO this Eve Exodus is doing a lot of good, in allowing these guys to give them a much better stress test of what their game servers can handle.

I myself am an Eve Vet, but I quit that game over two years ago before PLEX, so don't really fall into this recent Eve Exodus.  The timing of me finding this game just happens to fall into the same time, eh.  Wishing I would have found it sooner.

William Bonney wrote:

I'm speaking for the not-so distant future as this game gains popularity.

I smell venting smile

I've had 7 months of uninterrupted play, so its not to difficult for me to sit out a few days, but I can understand your frustration as the same thing happend to me waiting hours each night to play Rift.

But, this is all you've seen, so you can't know that the game server itself is solid, and should handle what l'eve'rs can throw at it. Unless like we get all 70,000 next month, then maybe not hmm

We have been seeing network issues however, and have made many posts about them, which is what came up and bit the dev's in the butt. If having 2000 new subscribers is what it takes for them to notice that it's a real issue, then we'll all benefit, because they will get it fixed and we'll all move on with a better archtiecture.

Arga wrote:

I smell venting smile

Heh, you should also smell someone alt-tabbing every 2-3 minutes as I get tired of reading "Temporary user limits are in effect until we resolve server issues. Sorry for the inconvenience."

But yeah, since I can't play, being a forum warrior.  Least I'm trying to be constructive.

Finding the game sooner would be a mixed bag.

Lower server pop, you get to log in, but there isn't as much action as there is now.

Server fixed, with large pop, that is the perfect combo.

Now we just need the devs to get the peanut butter to chocolate ratio corrected and we're all in business!

Yay, I'm in, lol.  Finally.  Will keep an eye on this post however on my other comp.  When I start a topic, I like continue it as long as there are others active with it.

So yeah, if you have any opinions or ideas to further the conversation from the OP, please feel free to share.  I'll read and argue my point of view all night big_smile