Topic: Dumb question on terrian

May I ask a stupid question about the terrain of the game?

I can, thanks.

Why did you settle on different islands with no overall planet topography?

I'm thinking you could have had a general planet topography in mind and expanded the useable portion of it with expansions and more content as needed.  Rather than arbitrarily adding in new islands.

Imagine the map as a globe where the world is really 3D and the landmasses you can use are flushed out in high resolution but the "no content yet" areas are vague and have poor resolution.

Too late now I suppose unless the world succumbs to a massive earth quake (cool idea I must say).

I suppose it would be hard to retroactively make the planet bigger but more islands than now are going to look crazy.  More crazy than an anno map from 1404.

Re: Dumb question on terrian

When future islands are introduced I can only hope that the map with scale with it and this mean the further you zoom the less detail you need and the closer you get the more details you see.

The way the servers are designed have a single large landmass would not be possible without loading screens. D:

The native bots have jammed our sensors, so we actually don't know much about the planet's topography. The only known parts are the ones at present which we cleared the evil robots. The map itself is not a representation of the world, but I agree that it would be nice to have an "overall" view of the planet for rpg's sake

Alexander wrote:

When future islands are introduced I can only hope that the map with scale with it and this mean the further you zoom the less detail you need and the closer you get the more details you see.

The way the servers are designed have a single large landmass would not be possible without loading screens. D:

Well it doesnt need to be one solid landmass.  Earth isn't. Define what you mean by loading screens that would be different than transporters...

Right now the game is designed to run on 1 node = 1 island. The islands are limited to 20,480m x 20,480m.

This could be raised but as the terrain itself doesn't require a lot of processing power but filling spaces with NPC's, minerals and plants would mean more computing power would be required. What you're asking for is larger islands in a forward thinking layout. The issue is that we don't know, and I am pretty sure the devs aren't 100% yet, what the planet might looks like.

I understand your concern that for the future adding more islands will make the confusing map more confusing but that's because the of the way the data is currently handled. I am sure the devs will work on the map and create a much better general overview and island specific map.

I can't wait until we realize they aren't alive but instead an alien race controlling them with super secret systems we've not detected...