Re: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

I’ll take a few days off the game, leave room for the newer guys to play and get hooked. DEVs thanks for keeping us updated and having suggested some kind of compensation. It’s the best one can do in these circumstances. Get some rest and make us a server in due shape so we can have a good time with all the new comers.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Kudos to the devs for keeping everyone informed and trying to deal with problems! Keep up the good work.

Jack Paladin wrote:

Kudos to the devs for keeping everyone informed and trying to deal with problems! Keep up the good work.

^^
Always appreciated the Perp devs for this.

Thanks guys for the hard work! smile

Can we get an update Dev's?  I know you guys are busy but have not had an update since yesterday and server refuses to let me into the game.  sad

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

131 (edited by Razgon Ap Taj 2011-06-28 16:31:20)

Again? Or rather...Still? Cant log in either.

Aye, and update / Timeframe would be nice smile

I'm not quite sure if this whole lag thing is is all software related.

They might just need to upgrade their hardware or put more in.  CCP had to do the same when they had influxes of people.   A single world is a hardware hog.

Before we went to bed last night, we started recording what the servers was doing. Today we played it back, analyzed the data and got to the point where we can reproduce the issue. A simple minor task suddenly starts taking magnitudes longer and things can go to hell from there if we do not cap the load on it.

So the issue is isolated, 'all' we have to do is find out what causes it. Thank you for your support and your patience with us, we really appreciate it.

Deadzone wrote:

I'm not quite sure if this whole lag thing is is all software related.

They might just need to upgrade their hardware or put more in.  CCP had to do the same when they had influxes of people.   A single world is a hardware hog.

Unfortunately, no. We have serviced over 900 players with inferior hardware.

DEV Calvin wrote:

Before we went to bed last night, we started recording what the servers was doing. Today we played it back, analyzed the data and got to the point where we can reproduce the issue. A simple minor task suddenly starts taking magnitudes longer and things can go to hell from there if we do not cap the load on it.

So the issue is isolated, 'all' we have to do is find out what causes it. Thank you for your support and your patience with us, we really appreciate it.

You are lucky you have such a great game, is all I'm saying ;-)

Anyways - looking forward to having it sorted!

DEV Calvin wrote:

I can attest to that, I was there when server had over 1k players and had minimal lag.

Keep up the good work guys!  Great game, looking forward to a yearly sub big_smile

Alfredson wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

I can attest to that, I was there when server had over 1k players and had minimal lag.

huh? when was that? the maximum was 974, which you can see on the feed graphs axis.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Alfredson wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

huh? when was that? the maximum was 974, which you can see on the feed graphs axis.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this point.  People keep saying "over 1000!" but it clearly wasnt, unless there's something that graph missed.

->You just lost The Game<-

Is there going to be some compensation for people who have a paid subscription and not being able to play. been trying for 3 days now and keep getting this block because server is full. Not of fan of paying to play something I can't play.

I know you guys are working hard, but this is getting a bit extended.

The Silent One wrote:

Is there going to be some compensation for people who have a paid subscription and not being able to play. been trying for 3 days now and keep getting this block because server is full. Not of fan of paying to play something I can't play.

I know you guys are working hard, but this is getting a bit extended.

It has already been stated that they will compensate everyone for the time lost during these issues.

->You just lost The Game<-

Yeah, I had read most the posts but one of the devs had slipped through my perusing, sorry for asking a already stated question.

My over 1000 figure was based off memory. I definitely know it exceeded 950 - and I rounded it off to 1000+. The figure wasn't meant to mislead anyone. If your graphs say it was 974, then it was. I apologize

I am not an expert by any means, but I do know that mass market trades and the movement of massive amounts of variable cargo from cargo holds to hangers etc caused major lag bombs early on in eve.  I suspect that this may be a similar issue as the lag comes in waves.  Probably when large numbers of different items are moved from one area to another.  bots through teleports, or items from cargo to hanger each item needs to be 'modified' by software to reflect its new state.  The ccp dev blogs on the war on lag may give some clues to the problems here.
one reason they created warp to 0 on eve was to eliminate the need to copy mass quantities of bookmarks, that act alone was enough to crash eve on more than one occasion in the early days.

First of all I'd like to thank the devs for trying their best to resolve the issues that have surfaced as quickly as they can.

I understand the limit that is placed on the amount of concurrent players is a temporary necessary evil. I really don't have a problem with it as it's better to provide a good experience for those that are online and shut some people out. As opposed to providing a poor experience for everyone.

However, I would like it if you would implement a server queue. As it stands the only way to get in is to keep clicking the OK button until you happen to click it at the exact same time someone else leaves the game. I understand you probably don't have the means to do this right away and fixing the problem which makes the limit necessary should take precedence. It would however be advisable to implement it with some future update because stuff like this will happen again if your game grows as big as I hope it does.

Sitting in queue is less than optimal, but at least one can do other stuff while waiting in stead of hammering the OK button.

"The greatest harm can result from the best intentions"

Shadrin wrote:

However, I would like it if you would implement a server queue. As it stands the only way to get in is to keep clicking the OK button until you happen to click it at the exact same time someone else leaves the game.

This would be nice, im getting RSI ! yikes

I am glad you receive such positive feedback from the playerbase, but that's getting annoying. Since subscribing I haven't been to play. Imagine how many of potential subscribers you already lost.

Shadrin wrote:

First of all I'd like to thank the devs for trying their best to resolve the issues that have surfaced as quickly as they can.

I understand the limit that is placed on the amount of concurrent players is a temporary necessary evil. I really don't have a problem with it as it's better to provide a good experience for those that are online and shut some people out. As opposed to providing a poor experience for everyone.

However, I would like it if you would implement a server queue. As it stands the only way to get in is to keep clicking the OK button until you happen to click it at the exact same time someone else leaves the game. I understand you probably don't have the means to do this right away and fixing the problem which makes the limit necessary should take precedence. It would however be advisable to implement it with some future update because stuff like this will happen again if your game grows as big as I hope it does.

Sitting in queue is less than optimal, but at least one can do other stuff while waiting in stead of hammering the OK button.

As has been said before, doing that could take up dev time to fix the problem. If it would, then I'd rather them fix the issue instead of making a queue.

Greatdum wrote:

Imagine how many of potential subscribers you already lost.

In a time sensitive problem such as this, unnecessary pressure leads to absolutely nothing. The devs are working around the clock (some even went 72 hours straight without sleep until last night) to bring you the best experience possible. The best thing you can do right now is sit tight and be patient.

Raife wrote:
Shadrin wrote:

I understand you probably don't have the means to do this right away and fixing the problem which makes the limit necessary should take precedence. It would however be advisable to implement it with some future update because stuff like this will happen again if your game grows as big as I hope it does.

As has been said before, doing that could take up dev time to fix the problem. If it would, then I'd rather them fix the issue instead of making a queue.

I fully agree on that, as I've stated in the very post you are quoting smile

"The greatest harm can result from the best intentions"