Topic: Do you want Dungeons or Levels ?

I think is solve many problems, you wont walking so many times because can make dungeons/levels near to stations, or you will teleport there.

Little bit less poligons or any grapichal issue (i think).

And the developers can put it there many tipes of robots without problems, or anything what they want.

So why not, any idea? ( If cant sorry i tried)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

2 (edited by Neoxx 2011-06-23 21:49:21)

Re: Do you want Dungeons or Levels ?

Their current world structure cant support dungeons, at least thats what I've heard.  Basically the world can only have 1 point on the Z axis that the player can stand on at any given location.

This also makes sense in the fact your movement speed is only calculated laterally and not vertically.  Your actual distance from another object is calculated in 3D space, though, which is why you can put distance between you and an enemy faster when changing elevations without changing speeds.

Dungeons also dont make much sense in this game, and would be very feasible without extremely large dungeons to allow for LOS.  Making really small passages would just cause tons of issues with LOS, especially if they changed in elevation along the way.

->You just lost The Game<-

dungeons are an unnecessary "gathering place". Just go out and hunt some observer spawns.

Actually dungeons could be interesting.

You can imagine something like this :

/On the map you find a teleporter that move you into a small map (ideally with an underground feeling or -why not- on the moon !), where you have to kill stuffs to get reward.

/The dungeon should not be an instance, everybody finding it should be able to enter.

/The reward could be the npc loot, and/or a cargo to find/hack (like in intrusion).

/To make things a little more interesting, once the dungeon was looted:
    -> it could change location. So you have to find it again.
    -> or dungeon can be only found by artifact hunting.

/You can also make different level dungeon :
    -> lvl1 close to the outpost not moving much for beginner the reward begin basic mods, kernel... And the TP can only TP light bots to avoid guys in Mech raping it.

-> up to higl level one where you must be a team with hacking modules, ewar...

I don't know how much work this can be to implement, but it looks to me like a great idea to improve PVE content.

Cu on the field

Tereva

I didn't mean to trigger this discussion, but since it's here smile

Instanced area's are an easy way for designers to control/limit resource distribution. Meaning that they can put in a greater reward without it being over-farmed as well as control the difficulty of the area. I don't think that AC planned for instanced area's however, which means a lot of development time.

On the other hand, they could generate a PVE Island, that had limited access.

In order to control the 'time' factor of giving a larger reward, the TP would put you on the beach, and you would have to fight and climb your way slowly up to a destination, lets call is an observatory on top of a mountain. The reward would be different depending on the route you take. There are 4 entrances to the Observatory, each reached by a different route, and of course those routers are guarded differently. The easiest route is do able solo, but when you enter the Observatory, and activate your artifact round, the cache is balanced for that route. The opposite is true for the 4th route, where you'll need a group, lets say balanced around 10 ave. players. The single cache at the end, which should be visible to everyone when it's found, would have a very substantial amount of loot. But not so much that taking 30 mechs through there would ruin the economy overnight smile

I would like the dungeon idea if it was more of a heavily populated NPC area. Take something smilar to the "cities" on the new alpha and basically make a whole island like that. You have to fight your way to the various bosses to open up new areas you can get to. Additionally, bosses are not always spawned, they have a random chance. Think "Observer Island"

What I meant:

The developers can make an island huge "dungeon" (just a level below the field) and the currently Alfa islands contain "dungeon" teleport os same things.

This "dungeons" can closer Terminals, Outpost than other places, can some interest places "exploring " maybe i think is better for graphic cards, (easyer/acceptable (i play game low graphic)). So i see many
advantages, and now dont see disadvantages. But maybe they can do that just islands. But a littbe bit intersting the "dungeons" and the darkstyle of the game is good for "dungeons".

Maybe on beta not want that "dungeons".

So the argue is continue...

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Please, no dungeons

Sorry Juju but why? What you say just NO thats what you can do it easily. You thinking about "insances" = "dungeons" ?

Energy to Earth!

Instanced areas with more involved PVE content could be fun. Think of it as an opportunity to give players something complicated, grouped and interesting to do. So long as they're only in alpha islands (and thus not limiting pvp) and not more rewarding than activities in beta islands (to keep the risk reward balance) it'd be a good combination.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I necro'd this one.

I see instances as the only way to make combat assignments interesting.  Right now, you go attack spawns that are already on the map, which is so 1998.  I'm sure the changes being implemented right now are a step up, and I've done part of a storyline which was better, but there is only so much you can do without cluttering the map with spawns for more missions.

With instances, you can add in fixed (and heck, maybe even aerial) defenses.  You can make a map narrow and have terrain obstacles.  You can have boss fights against mission-specific npc's.  You could have weight restrictions for the TP's based on how much the npc corp wants to spend beaming you to the target location, which would impact your loadout or your group makeup.

I welcome the new changes, but instances may be the only way to really take assignments to the next level.

As an additional island that everyone can acces. Filled with random spawns of random mobs (even not implemented as a test big_smile). Enter is random and not the same place as exit (which one is random too). That will be great Island of Death big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Have you tried running the new assignments? One of the mechanics they are trying out is your NPC's spawn specifcally for your assignment, and are tagged to you. No more fighting farmers for mission bots. This is better than instancing, it keeps everyone in the same world, but gives player specific objectives just like instances.

Instancing fragments the game world, limits player choice, and inhibits emergence. Therefore, no instancing plox.

Underground areas would be cool though. Gotta deal with more complex walkmeshes and pathfinding or whatever, but you could add bot height to terrain limitations. Camera work could be a ***, too.

in the real world physical space is limited so you can't just go: you know what i dont like the price of gas im going to go out find a oil field setup a refiner and then turn that into gas, there are various physical and political restrictions that prevent such.

Anything that Adds another "unlimited faucet" is usually a bad thing because we already live in a game world where we can just go out and farm X to get Y.

My idea of a dungeon is to add islands that only NPC's control, IE they control the Dock so you can't dock you can use teleports and thats it. There NPC Sequers and arganos should be out mining and hauling. They should be pretending to harvest resources. the mechs should be protecting them or doing roams.

I think this team could easily make viable and interesting dungeons for our bots to explore.  Nothing is wrong with more content.  It's just more content.  Even in a sandbox game, I would love the ability to log in for 20-30minutes and do a quick cave crawl or instanced dungeon.

I play sandbox games for a reason and its not for dungeons and instances, please do not add instances to this game. If you are seeking some sort of challenging NPC to kill go hunt Observers. or just try to live hunting npc's on beta.

technically, there is a limitation on stacking content vertically.

But, a seperate island would provide the same type of isolation as a dungeon.

Right now we need more PVP luv though, I can hear the frustration in their posts about spending hours doing nothing, and giving them something to shoot in PVE is OK, but it would be better to increase PVP for them.

I'm not a pvp'er, but it drives the economy and the basically the whole industrial vertical, and a healthy world economy is going to make the whole game feel more alive. After that though, I would really like to see more and harder PVE scenerios including the suggestion of a citadel. But, because the market and the economy is off, if it was so hard that PVE'ers were losing bots (and it should be hard) the reward to compensate that loss would be highly out of balance. Just as an example, if it took losing 4 T1 fitted mechs to storm the citadel, the reward would need to be 30M NIC, or some type of mk II bot fitted. And then T4 heavyes would pwn the place and get out of balance reward for no losses.

tl;dr - Balancing the reward vs. risk in a long mission objective is very difficult.

Do a mission system like Anarchy had.  Use a terminal to view missions and reward types.  It would all scale together.  Hell, driving my bot through an Anarchy Online mission would be great.  All you need to do (besides programming, debugging, testing, creating, and the artwork, oh, and the writing) is add a mission terminal in the terminals and a few dungeon spawn spots in the wilderness.

Segreto wrote:

Do a mission system like Anarchy had.  Use a terminal to view missions and reward types.  It would all scale together.  Hell, driving my bot through an Anarchy Online mission would be great.  All you need to do (besides programming, debugging, testing, creating, and the artwork, oh, and the writing) is add a mission terminal in the terminals and a few dungeon spawn spots in the wilderness.

How would other players be able to affect you while inside this dungeon? If two other players are each in a different instance of the same location, would there be a menu to choose which you go into? How is it good for people to be able to completely disconnect from each other and the game world when the goal of PO is explicitly the opposite of that?

While on Beta, I'll keep a few missions open so I have little rabbit holes to jump into if I'm being hunted. Metaphysical dislocation tank is best tank.

this is not such a terrible idea. I can imagine missions to capture a maze of buildings or a city from the NPC factions (i.e. somthing built like Telesis). you have a few SAPs in the city and it is guarded with groups of bots. this could be 'instanced' in a way that it exists on special NPC islands where you only get a TP entry via assignment.

it's not a traditional dungeon but is close to it without breaking the game mechanics and atmosphere. This would also give larger corps some PvE events to work for.