1 (edited by BoostHungry 2010-11-30 00:22:56)

Topic: Respec? (attributes, NOT skills)

I was wondering if there was a way to one-time (or maybe annually) respec some of the attribute choices I made. 

I wanted to go towards combat and was unaware of how the attributes played into the skill system until I got into the game.  I made not one choice towards anything except military when creating my character.  I now find myself only able to learn skills related to weapons efficiently.  Training things like support skills for my robot, or even training robot control skills seem to be more negatively effected then I had thought.  People have told me that it will balance out if I only want to do combat but if I had known how the system works I would have made at least one choice towards the gray area for help in learning very important skills that will help my combat focused play style. 

Please help players fix mistakes they made with something that requires knowledge of the game to fully grasp.  But I'm sure you know how damaging to the gameplay it can be if respecing were allowed to be over used.  I think an annual or even just a one time respec would go a long way to making people happy with out upsetting any balance. 

Thanks,
  -  BoostHungry

Re: Respec? (attributes, NOT skills)

No there isn't. Maybe in the future. There is already a post on this topic here: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … by-chance/

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

That is NOT what I'm talking about.  Please re-read my post.  I would never ever support respecing skills.

I am asking about respecing the attributes that help you train new skills.  Again, please re-read my post.

i am against any respect on attributes  plz dont

the last thing we want is ppl training combat for a time and change to industrial then change to trade  etc etc

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

why would you be against that whats wrong with being able to change the focus of your character ?

and yeah i had that problem during beta too i was all guns and nothing else really sucks

i personally dont like any system that forces you to keep the same path you chose before you even knew how to play it sucks

6 (edited by MadGelo 2010-11-30 09:22:45)

there need to be a better guid when you creat your character

not everyone came from eve, so i can see why people can be confused

MadGelo wrote:

this
no need for respect even for attribute, you don't loose anything but time.

only logical way to change attributes, would making the spark changeable (you cant change your past, but your equipment)

but the sparks just affects two attributes, and then with jsut 3 points each.
Imho, the spark needs to be a multiplier, for the previous set attributes, and the three other choices should mostly set your starter extensions.

like setting all military will give you 10 in tactics and 9 in mechatronics
using the ubenor spark will multiply those extensions by 3, and the others just by smaller factor to result in exact the same distribution as it is right now.

switching to other spark would then have a meaning

9 (edited by Outlaw 2010-11-30 21:05:54)

Ekim wrote:

why would you be against that whats wrong with being able to change the focus of your character ?

respects help more ppl archive the same and that result on less variety, more ppl do the same things or able to do same things, also make the game to have less specialization and this less player interaction and that is bad for gameplay/economy  etc etc etc

also respects forgive laziness/ignorance/mistakes/stupid decisions

MadGelo wrote:

+1

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

XrayIT wrote:
MadGelo wrote:

this
no need for respect even for attribute, you don't loose anything but time.

i'm very new to the game, I specced in all combat so my attributes are obviously geared that way. I'm curious, with all of the cries for respecs im seeing, how bad is the hit i will take when i decide to train some of my crafting skills? It seems pretty bad with all these new threads i see being made...

while i got ya...:p  i'm playing the second character i created ( i like the name better) i am getting the impression my first made character got the 20k starter EP, and not my second, is this true?  I spent almost all and haven't had time to add them up... does only your original get the 20k?

thanks in advance ; )

Marcus the EP you accumulate is shared among all of the characters tied to the same account. So you will not gain an extra 20k EP if you create a new character.

Snowstyle wrote:

Marcus the EP you accumulate is shared among all of the characters tied to the same account. So you will not gain an extra 20k EP if you create a new character.

thats ok... i just didn't want to lose that much by creating a new character...

thank you kindly....

Yeah, there is not enough information as how the attributes work.  I am an Eve Vet and when people told me this game was just like Eve I just couldn't believe just how much like it, it was.  So I wasn't assuming the attributes worked the same and the way they are named made me really lean towards certain ones.

"I want combat so I guess I need tactics.  Hmmm what's this R&D? Nah I don't want any of that."

With Eve it's things like charisma, intellect, wisdom, ect.  The way they are named you instantly think that you may want a little bit of each but more towards others. 

And hell, Eve actually implemented respec's (annually), and until recently, allowed you to improve your attributes with skills.  In this game we are stuck 100% with the choices we make.

I think this game should give respec's annually as well.  People who actually play for more than a year should be rewarded with the ability to maybe spec towards something else or optimize their attributes as they have maybe learned how to over the course of a year analyzing the system.  And no one can argue that people will abuse this.  Honestly, when given the respec in Eve I didn't use it because I didn't want to change focus then realize a month later I didn't want to.

If not, there should be one respec given to all new characters that can be used within the first month.  And again, only for attributes NOT skills.

I was also completely ignorant that my choices during character creation would effect how easy I would find it to learn certain skills later on.

Is this true?  What impact does it have? (ep cost, nic or both?)

I have 2 chars one pure industry and one pure combat are they nerfed in the long term?  How badly will this affect my future skill growth?

15 (edited by Foo 2010-12-01 18:16:03)

Patrick wrote:

I was also completely ignorant that my choices during character creation would effect how easy I would find it to learn certain skills later on.

Is this true?  What impact does it have? (ep cost, nic or both?)

I have 2 chars one pure industry and one pure combat are they nerfed in the long term?  How badly will this affect my future skill growth?

Well, depending on how you look at it, it may not affect your future skill growth at all.

If you play long enough, you'll be able to afford any Extensions you want.
If you quit playing, it won't matter that you took the wrong School or Corp at the start.
And if you're ultimately just too concerned with the min/max approach, use the following process to determine a choice of action.

1. Stop spending EP until you decide if you want to start a new character (on the same account) because you won't get back any EP you spend.
2. Calculate the EP you've spent so far and write this number down.
3. Enter your character into the Perpetuum Planner as it is right now, including all attributes and Extensions.
4. Use the Perpetuum Planner to create a new character, using your ideal attributes, but with no Extensions beyond what you get from attributes.
5. Buy the same skills in both characters until the difference in EP spent on both characters is equal to the EP you wrote down in Step 2.
6. Look at how much time it would take to gain the points you just spent.

That's how much time it will take to negate the higher costs for the current character, plus the EP you already spent. Decide whether it's best to keep your current character or create a new one.

I think you're definitely correct that people can stress too much over these things.  In some cases to such an extent that it ruins the game for them (having to do the tutorial missions multiple times would definitely put me off the game for a while).

On the other hand I do want to know what I've let myself in for so I'll do as you suggest, while remembering to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Outlaw wrote:
Ekim wrote:

respec's help more ppl achieve the same and that result on less variety, more ppl do the same things or able to do same things, also make the game to have less specialization and this less player interaction and that is bad for game play/economy  etc etc etc

also respects forgive laziness/ignorance/mistakes/stupid decisions

you can already have multiple characters all specialized in various feilds on one account already not to mention  how many alt accounts this game has
and you can change any skill on every character the only difference is the time it takes
I really really don't see how allowing people to change their attributes  every now and then?

IMHO i say get rid of them all together they add nothing to the system
or better yet make the attributes effect bots in some way