Re: To the Devs: Time

Greenleaf wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

@Greenleaf I think sinking ship references the fact that by their own numbers their modest population lost more than half of its active subscriptions (that is NOT active players by a long shot) with in a few months of release.

Your to involved with game drama,. that stat sheet is,. Flawed in so many ways,. and has been a bad smell on forums for years..

Many players from Mankind, like ( myself ) would argue its history on there. 2002 is around the time of a mass server wipe, they basically lost ALL there current players, But mankind from (1999 or so) survives..

Guess what im pointing out is,. Stats like that are not reliable.

Perpetuum is still a long way off from petering out,. come back later if it got boring.

And yes, Hats off to Grim,. Good post,.

Right, because when you can't attack the message (facts) attack the messenger.  Want drama? Join a corp.  The majority are run by infantile 3rd world dictator wannabes with the thinnest skin of any pasty nerds I've ever seen; and I say that having been in, and helped found, chess/RPG/AND Anime clubs in high school and have been an online PC gamer for 22 years yarr

As for the stats, those came directly from the DEVs promoting it in General Chat and being proud that they made the list and if you actually read anything there it specifically says that the game itself has to submit stats to be included.  They don't guess, but don't let the facts bother you.

Yes the game (outside of infrequent pvp, due to resources/production time sinks being ridiculous) is boring as ***.  I still have hundreds of hours and dollars invested so I'm still watching to see what they do with it.  From the number of threads and posts talking about direction I don't think I'm alone in that. 

Yes they have the Blog.  The Blog is relatively short term and does not discuss the actual goals of what the DEVs are trying to accomplish or the direction they're going but only things they are planning to add (not Why). 

I'm glad that it says that they are adding the EC system, although having it tied only to owning an outpost or artifact scanning is a mistake (since it just adds another facet to 2 Things To Do that already exist instead of adding something totally different). 

I'm glad that they will add some more PVE assignments, but being a sandbox, offering players the tools that have been suggested many MANY times on the forums like player contracts for various things, player owned structures, etc I think would go further than what they're promising since it allows the players to do some of their own content and takes some of the burden off of them since they say themselves that the most time intensive thing to do in game is make PVE missions.

I agree with Faust's post in its entirety and Arga's point about game play.  We know the DEVs are watching the forums and I'm glad for that as well.

@Monster I would love to see your analysis smile

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

@Crepitus

I dont think I attacked you,. just pointed out that you might be emotional, or vary board =p

see what I did there?

I did attack the data though,. and gave 1 example.

I dont glance I read,. if we use this Data then. P has 1800 or so subs,. I see this as a healthy adolescent MMO, that works..

1800 = floating ship,.

only 200 play,. only like 15 post here,. possible only 12,. 1 person might have alts..

Forums are for amusement 99% of the time,. and the P forum is a graveyard,. SO thought I should stirr the pot,..

/stirr

Add some pepper and meats to the pot too, I need sustainance in my forum soup to get me thru the work day smile

Well right now I picture P like a pot with a plant in it, got it stashed away in my closet  I thought there was some buds on there a few times, But on closer inspection was just a few seeds. No big deal though, I'll just keep adding water an give it light a few time a week..

30 (edited by Ris Dnalor 2011-06-26 05:09:25)

Crepitus wrote:

After more than 400 hours in game, and 4 months of daily play I'm pretty much done for awhile.

I could write 3 pages on what's wrong with this game and what it needs but I think I can sum up most of it in 3 words:

Ridiculous.  Unmitigated.  Grind.  (It could also be rephrased as: Stop. Aping. Eve. - It's killing your game)

Cut the time it takes to do literally everything in game by 75% and watch the subs come in.  Build some real solo content.  Foster PVP and stop catering to alliances and big corps.

There is nothing going on in game.  There is no reason to log in except to spend another 8 hour shift in some ore field to keep my production for myself going and I don't really even need to do that since I'm sitting on 20+ of every kind of bot/mech I can use.

Research is ***.  Relation grinding is ***.  Travel time is ***.  Resource grinding is ***; etc.

The difference between EA player EP and new players is vast.  No gear accessibility because the grind (either for money or resources to make it yourself) makes it 10x worse (I do have access to an EA EP account and have directly compared it with my main who is 4 months old so I'm speaking from both sides here).

This whole game has less than a 1/6th of the people playing who bought Darkspore at a STEAM sale just this week (myself included) and the reasons go beyond it being a niche of a niche.

Anyway, I got COD:BLOPS/Wings of Prey\Darkspore/AI Wars all for less than the cost of a single year time code.  I plan to log in to spend EP occasionally but that's about it.

This game has an amazing concept and the underlying mechanics are for the most part solid with decent PVP balance.  Please stop *** it up.

All you have to do is look at how many trial accounts sign up and then leave.  Most don't bother giving a reason; the ones that do are nearly always the same.

o7.

Hey, go play eve, they're dumbing it down as we speak, for folks just like you!

I'm guessing you read nothing.  Another troll comes from EVE to Perp.  Awesome.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Arga wrote:

I would like some Ice Cream please... everyone else can have cake - for PIE al a mode.

Make mine PIE as well. Everyone knows that The Cake is a Lie! ^^  PO isn't for everyone. This game has a lot of potential, and hopefully they will get a break now, and pick up several thousand former EVE players. Retaining them is going to be the trick.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

i played eve too, just cancelled yesterday.

the fun of eve was my friends, and binging some isk to do something stupid. all our best stories came from "one day we decided to do something stupid." the story would often include wormhole space (beta islands) lowsec (beta islands) or nullsec (beta islands)

even when we just mined, we had a ball, chatting and carrying on, messing with passersby.

just remember the second M in MMO, and eve gets a lot funner. i assume perpetuum is the same.

/witty sig

Jaik3 wrote:

i played eve too, just cancelled yesterday.

the fun of eve was my friends, and binging some isk to do something stupid. all our best stories came from "one day we decided to do something stupid." the story would often include wormhole space (beta islands) lowsec (beta islands) or nullsec (beta islands)

even when we just mined, we had a ball, chatting and carrying on, messing with passersby.

just remember the second M in MMO, and eve gets a lot funner. i assume perpetuum is the same.

i prefer to solo, i didn't come from eve and i came to the game alone.  the most fun i've had is leading newbie pvp groups in beta or going alone and getting a decent 1 v 1 (very very VERY rare).

Population graphs