1 (edited by Crepitus 2011-06-24 02:01:50)

Topic: EVE meets its NGE moment

I was checking out the $10 STEAM sale for EVE:Incarna and decided to check their official forums yesterday.

It's ugly.  There's a leaked internal employee PDF which that hour old thread just confirmed is real which talks about milking their cash cow to pay for Dust 514 and World of Darkness and by selling ships/ammo/guns/whatever in their RMT store to do it.

I have to say after reading the pdf myself yesterday it stopped me from buying an account and people are quitting in droves.

Now would be a good time for a P promo wink

EDIT: here's a thread that links to at least 15 gaming magazine/websites about it as well

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

2 (edited by Shaedys 2011-06-24 08:56:08)

Re: EVE meets its NGE moment

Supposedly this is only the opinion of a single executive in the company, and not actually a company policy.
The 60 dollar monocle isn't the worst thing, thats just cosmetic, thats okay. It's that this guy wanted to implement items that effect game play that could be bought with money.

As long as Microtransations remain cosmetic and inexpensive I have no issue with it. It's a one time purchase and while there isn't a lot of choice it at least makes your character unique.

What I don't like is that EVE most likely want to add non-cosmetic items. In all likely hood ships that once bought can never be lost (Modules not included). I am very much against this idea. I don't mind offering players the choice to modify their characters but I do dislike when a change to something not broken comes along there is no way to turn it off. EVE really missed a trick by not allowing you to view the old hanger view. Some people don't like to AFK in a station waisting computer resources on a complex rendering system.

I would love to see more Perpetuum promotion and more announcements on the future of Perpetuum. The current/last advert really didn't do the game justice and looks rather like one of those adds you see for free MMO's. Even the image quality looks compressed. sad

Crepitus wrote:

people are quitting in droves.

yeah.. right.. lol

Alexander wrote:

As long as Microtransations remain cosmetic and inexpensive I have no issue with it.

4 x PLEX for a monocle? Thats ridiculous and insulting.

Ultroth wrote:
Alexander wrote:

As long as Microtransations remain cosmetic and inexpensive I have no issue with it.

4 x PLEX for a monocle? Thats ridiculous and insulting.

If you can sell it, people will buy it.

->You just lost The Game<-

CCP claims that at least 60 of them have already been sold... No telling if it was dont by actual players or by the Devs themselves to create false numbers, but all in all, that is 240 months of Game Time Cards that CCP has pocketed the cash and giggled.

The current claim is that "Fearless" is supposedly an internal newsletter intended to generate conversation internally, sometimes heated debate and so on. I say, if this is true... PUBLISH the whole history of the newsletter and allow the people paying their salaries to see what they are up to.

CCP can claim any string of crap they want to spin the situation, but the proof is in the coverup, deflection, and complete refusal to actually address the topic.

CCP Pann specifically titled the threadnaught that is currently pushing its way to 300 pages "An Overdue Apology and Request for Parlay".... Neither of which has been extended in any single post or reply by a single CCP employee.

They want to fix the situation... remove the Incarna expansion from service, complete it without the MACROtransaction NEX, and pray that some of us really werent kidding when we hit that button to remove our reocurring billing and credit card information.

Without that... they had better have one hell of a Bankruptcy Attourney, an "oops we *** up clause" in the production contract for DUST514 and WoD, and a resumee that includes a lot of history before CCP.

8 (edited by Crepitus 2011-06-25 21:58:48)

Kynes wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

yeah.. right.. lol

yea, actually.

check the graph troll boy do you think that suddenly P more than doubled its pop overnight for nothing?

R O F L

@Rosi - nearly everyone (probably 95% at this point) in this game is already from EVE so it's no surprise that a pop bump would be from people pissed off at EVE's blatant money grab.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

9 (edited by Neoxx 2011-06-25 21:59:06)

Crepitus wrote:
Kynes wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

yeah.. right.. lol

yea, actually.

check the graph troll boy do you think that suddenly P more than doubled it's pop overnight for nothing?

R O F L

@Rosi - nearly everyone (probably 95% at this point) in this game is already from EVE so it's no surprise that a pop bump would be from people pissed off at EVE's blatant money grab.

But that pop increase is a drop in the bucket to eves population.  People are quitting, but the numbers here are hardly an indication of the scale.

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

But that pop increase is a drop in the bucket to eves population.  People are quitting, but the numbers here are hardly an indication of the scale.

No but a tally kept on the official forums points the way to upward 4500 accounts already closed. Youch.

And that tally does not include me and our old corp. We were peons so we knew no one would notice us, but the cancel subs CCP would notice.

RedKGB wrote:

And that tally does not include me and our old corp. We were peons so we knew no one would notice us, but the cancel subs CCP would notice.

Oh I'm pretty sure they did notice. Welcome to Perpetuum by the way wink

TY, really looking foward to it.

14 (edited by Melor Rend 2011-06-28 15:24:37)

Riosahnia wrote:

CCP claims that at least 60 of them have already been sold... No telling if it was dont by actual players or by the Devs themselves to create false numbers, but all in all, that is 240 months of Game Time Cards that CCP has pocketed the cash and giggled.

... which sounds impressive until you remember that the average EVE player (at least the hard core, long term guys) all have multiple accounts. Personally I've been playing EVE since mid-2005 and I dropped in excess of 2'500€ on subscriptions alone (3-5 accounts). So those 50+ monocles they sold covers about 2 of me.... and I doubt the sales will increase (especially when the "new" wears off and the few thousand people that just reactivated to test incarna have quit again).

The only difference is that the cash they get with RMT is "front loaded" and not spread across a few years. Maybe that's their plan... since 90% of players quit after 6-7 months they figured it's better to bleed them of all their cash ASAP so then nobody cares if they quit (because they've already paid more then a 6-year-player) and don't actually require any new and complex features (expect a new pair of pants in the store every now and then).

love and props for the Subject header -- you nailed it!
big_smile
EVE meets its NGE moment
lol

Crepitus wrote:

yea, actually.

check the graph troll boy do you think that suddenly P more than doubled its pop overnight for nothing?

Is there anywhere that shows that graph chart over time (like the last 90 days?).  I would *LOVE* to see/be able to link that back into Eve's forums.....

lol
yarr
lol

17 (edited by Crepitus 2011-06-29 04:41:00)

Asuri wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

yea, actually.

Is there anywhere that shows that graph chart over time (like the last 90 days?).  I would *LOVE* to see/be able to link that back into Eve's forums.....

lol
yarr
lol

i'm not aware of one that goes back further but it might exist

although, the devs were proud of being listed here like a week ago.  i'm 100% sure that this doesn't reflect the influx of EVE players at all.

Population graphs