Re: Alpha vs Beta balancing?

+ for Loco and his suggestions for beta;
specially rise kernel drop rates and artifact rewards  as this last one drags lots of ppl to beta (artifact its one of the things new players can do with low ep cost).
The time required for producing might be shorted a bit too ffs.

Radars you're talked about can be not a part of own outpost, but producing only on it and then transported and placed wherever you want. It can be destroyable and repairable so you may need to care about your radars. Such radar can be our first little part of POS system.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Radars you're talked about can be not a part of own outpost, but producing only on it and then transported and placed wherever you want. It can be destroyable and repairable so you may need to care about your radars. Such radar can be our first little part of POS system.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/27573/#p27573
wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

xactly, something like that

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Loco wrote:

Back on topic...

After playing the game back in beta for a month, and then coming back with my friends in FOOM, I've picked up on a few things that would make being on beta islands much more appealing:

- Increase spawn rate of tier II and tier III artifact sites on betas. Going onto a beta and seeing nothing but salvage 1s doesn't make me want to hunt them down, because I could be finding observers on alphas I can actually solo. This would increase solo-roaming people on all betas, as they'd be hunting for precious cargo. And this would actually make locking down an island possibly profitable, as you might catch a guy after he's brought in his 10 scientific wreckages.

- Increase mining/harvesting rates on betas (see "concentrated"/"dense" asteriods in that other game) so that mining even the mediocre stuff takes less time/is more profitable. A simple 10-25% boost across the board would be major. This would make it so that Riveler pilots on an alpha would at best be pulling in what a lesser pilot in a Termis can do.

- Give beta outposts a -50% time modifier onto constuction time. More bots constructed = more bots on the market/in the hands of players = more people willing to risk their pixels. As a side benefit, this might actually let people put stuff on the market as they won't have to worry about how long it might take to get a replacement. As it is, production time is nuts; you can't afford to lose a bot as a new corporation simply because the time it takes to make them if you can't get them off the market.

- Increase the plasma and kernel drop rates. 5 good artifacters can get more kernels faster than 5 people farming a spawn, even on beta. If I'm farming a spawn, it'd better have more reward than the occassional t3 drop. I can get t3-, CTs, decoders, and everything else all day without risking my mechs; the risk needs to be rewarded.

I'm hoping/trusting the devs to add some outpost improvements for manufacturing/refining as a part of the stuff from the devblog. However, if they aren't considering it, making it so you can at least get tier III (if not better) facilities on *any* controlled outpost would be a large benefit.

Basically, the more you push for players to see betas as more time efficient, the more they'll want to at least try to ninja the goods off them, if not live on them.

This is very constructive, thanks for posting.

- Artifact spawn rate makes sense as a suggestion, as Beta is the "frontier" of the Perpetuum project. It makes sense, and its a great idea. /signed.

- IMHO the problem right now is that while the Beta fields are dense - it takes some effort to kill them properly - the new Alpha fields are dense too. The idea youre suggesting has good merit tho, having a 10-20% buff on yield due to dense fields would definitely encourage people to mine on Beta. /signed.

- I think besides giving a straght -50% buff, it might make more sense to either redesign the existing facilities (only Refinery 3 is actually worth owning) to provide more benefits, or tie in increased benefits with station ownership. So you get the L3 in a Beta station if you don't own it, but you get L4 in a station if you do own it? /needs more discussion imho

- Plasma drops make sense for more money for risk of being in open-PVP, I always thought kernels should have been more easier to get on Beta considering its high-level mobs but its hard to balance them now after having them nerfed for so long. Kernels definitely need more discussion imho.

Your finishing line definitely nails it, its not about forcing people to Beta its about encouraging people to use and live on Beta.

Some great ideas there! big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

There is a very nice mining area on Tellisis, with all sorts of minerals that sees lots of Riveler traffic.

With the roaming addition, I've been taking a combat bot to the area each night trying to get a sense of the new pattern, to avoid random roam death.

Last night, walking right up the middle, was a Superior Observer; Kain.

This is the very last thing I waned to see. I'm not sure how frequent this type of bot roams through that area, but because of the Kain's speed, getting my 50kph Riveler out of his 400m range is going to be hair raising. Based on my quick probing with my assault, and getting dropped to 50% armor and ECM'd in just a few seconds, if it does catch any miner they have no chance to escape.

Now alpha mining is dangerous. GJ.

Alpha mining is only slightly dangerous compared to betas. Kentagura often gets 2-3 Superior observers waltzing through mineral fields, as well as 10+ npc spawns. In either case, if you're not paying attention, you will lose something. Only new alphas and betas got the spawns. You can go to ye olde alphas (NV, Dao, Att) if you're trying to afk. But then, you always have the chance of someone spawning an infestation or observer on your mineral deposit. But compare alpha mining to beta mining; if you don't have scouts on every teleport, a signal detecting mech, and even then some nearby combat pilots, you're asking to get killed by players. Vastly greater risk and effort required to mine, exactly the same reward. It is no wonder that corporations only mine epriton on betas.

Increasing the mineral intake on betas makes them more lucrative to mine. The more the boost, the more lucrative it is to mine there. By jointly increasing the kernel drop rate, increasing plasma yield, and possibly also increasing *good* module drop rates (t3/t2), mining overwatch can effectively make money while also being on standby for roamers.

A tangent on risk versus reward...
There should always be risks. If you get a reward without any risk, something in the sandbox is broken. See sequer courier trains (I like to call them inflation trains). If the devs were to remove those, all of a sudden, you'd have NIC being valuable to many corporations. As it is, any time you need NIC for anything, well, why sell assets when you can just tap the infinite courier faucet for cash? A riveler that mines in perfect safety is no different, other than they're getting free assets without even having to pay attention.

58 (edited by Arga 2011-06-23 19:27:11)

I'm sorry, did you read my post as sarcasm?

Let me try again;

Good job making Alpha more dangerous to mine on; this still falls in the 1 in a 100 chance of meeting one.

Observers are the last thing any miner 'wants' to see, and if your out mining with 10 alts, there's a good chance your going to lose one before you can get them all moving.

Edit: I talked to Alex in my head, and he said soloing a Superior Observer Kain was easy. wink

if you see him early enough, you can run.

my GFs riveler could run from an attacking sup. Observer Kain on Tellesis without any issue (lwf + armor repair + defensive extensions at average)

with riveler you will see the oberver kain from 1 km.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Yep, Hair Raising though )

The kain moves a little under 80 (not sure how much, but I was at 80 and it took awhile to catch up to him), so it really doesn't take very long for it to move 600 m and it's certainly fast enough to run a Riveler down. I was in an assault, so I'm not sure at what range it 'notices' and attacks a Riveler which it will also see at 1km. The 400 m ranges was with the assault, so basically as soon as it 'saw' me it attacked.

I'd guess, you have about a min to react and start moving, unless you use slots for non-mining modules like masker or eccm. The good news is it doesn't continue to chase you for very long, unless you run along it's path, you have a good chance of living if you do have some defensive mods installed.

61 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-19 01:33:24)

Loco wrote:

Increasing the mineral intake on betas makes them more lucrative to mine. The more the boost, the more lucrative it is to mine there. By jointly increasing the kernel drop rate, increasing plasma yield, and possibly also increasing *good* module drop rates (t3/t2), mining overwatch can effectively make money while also being on standby for roamers.

NIC printing machine .... no thanks!

If more people try to get this NIC-printers, more pirates will go to Beta too, AGAIN to much risk for the reward, AGAIN you will call "buff Beta" .... this will never end sad.

Guys, the problem is NOT the oh so terribe reward. Get over it!
The problem is the high risk which is caused by YOU.

Loco wrote:

- Give beta outposts a -50% ...

I ever was under the impression, you guys PvP for the fun and not to become super rich and so get a HUGH advantag over every new player, who want to try Beta too. Was my impression so wrong?

If you give beta a bonus like -50% ... well, you can remove ALL industrials from alpha too as they won't have even a minimal changs to beeing competetive!

Remember: Beta islands is NOT to give you guys a NIC-printing machine for RMT!
Beta should be a place to have fun while pewpew.

You allready have the best ore, best kernals, best industrial facilitys.
If this isn't enough to bring people to the Betas ... it must be somethink else what is terrible wrong ... your behavior (KOS)?

Why allways cry for the DEVs to banish 95% of the population if YOU can change it with a slight adjusting of your playstyle?

@DEVs, please, if you analyse your logs, you will notice, that most of your custumers simply have no interest in PvP. They want to relax after work in the afternoon and that's it.
Please don't listen to this very few guys, who want to get a 2000% NIC bonus on Beta just to dominate the server (or RMT the stuff).

PS: and if you try to tell us, there is no RMT .. well, gogo google
hell, with all this sides half Perpetuum must be bots allready sad.

PPS: just found this statement in an other thread ...

Alexander wrote:

Very worth farming in a group. More profitable then solo farming. There just aren't enough small solo spawns. Taking 3 people to a high end mech spawns and making 20 million an hour isn't bad.

I am sure there are people out there that can do much much better.

You can allready make 15 to 20 times the money on Beta then on Alpha .... and you STILL want MORE ????

62 (edited by Loco 2011-07-19 02:00:30)

I was going to write a long post, but I decided against it. However, thank you for bumping the thread. I will now post a generic rage against the casual player agenda.

Eventually, I hope you understand that Perpetuum is a game about conflict. Don't believe me? What do you do when someone posts their ore for a lower price than yours? You lower it? Why, that's competition! That's Player Versus Player interaction, that ever-so-feared pvp you decry as ruining your game!

In conflict, you have to take a risk in order to be rewarded. You could have quick-sold your ore, but you're willing to take time (and time = risk in a volitile market) to sell it for more NIC. You're risking more, you're rewarded!

Compare this to alpha versus beta:
-- The same ores at the same rates, with the exception of titan ore only on alphas, and epriton only on betas. Betas have mechs hunting your miner, alpha has 35kph roaming spawns that can catch you if you decide to go out for a night of partying while you make money.
-- Alpha has 90% of the kernels that a prototyper needs. I have t4 gear that I've only needed alpha kernels for. So the l33t zomg kernels are more or less a farce, because if you farm npcs on beta you're waiting for a roaming player spawn to come kick your mass at 80 kph.
-- Betas get a grand total of 5% average bonus on some outpost versus Tellisis/Hershfield/Shinjalar.

It's not "our behavior of KOS" that caused my corp to simply leave our outpost on beta. It's the total lack of benefit for living in it as compared to the risks.

You can max out the light T4 knowledge on Alpha, bring medium weapons up to T3 with no problem.

You can mine ore by the billion and either buy epriton or slap a T1 termis together, as long as it ninja-mines 1 mil Epri and hauls it out its paid for a while line of T1 termis so it doesn't matter even if it gets popped.

Beta vs Alpha risk vs reward is a joke. It might be less of a joke when Outpost buffs and lockouts are added, ninja mining will be less lucrative because right now you can simply hoard Epri in someone's outpost in off-times, then haul it out during off-times when youre ready and theres 5 guys online on the server.

The ONLY benefit ATM to being on Beta is slighly easier Epriton access and epeen waving. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

64 (edited by Arga 2011-07-19 07:31:39)

The question really isn't if beta islands have more benefits, because they do, it just takes advaned EP and group play to get the best returns off it. Now if the question is it worth living in an outpost, then that's clearly no at this point, but it could be after being able to set docking rights.

Edit: Also the term "Risk vs Reward" is used alot, but risk is 100% relative to the person or group taking the risk. 1 person bringing a 10M nic bot to beta is risking more than a group of 30 each bringing a 20M NIC bot.

Loco wrote:

It's not "our behavior of KOS" that caused my corp to simply leave our outpost on beta. It's the total lack of benefit for living in it as compared to the risks.

This is the problem. You are angry, that your orp leave Beta.

- Best Ore -> you dictate the price of this ore and ALL following T3/T4 products

- Best Kernals -> you dictate the price of this Kernals AND you have a monopol on T3/T4 production for a looooooong time

- Best Industrie instalations -> you are ALLWAYS able to build faster and cheaper then Alpha player

Arga wrote:

The question really isn't if beta islands have more benefits, because they do, it just takes advaned EP and group play to get the best returns off it. Now if the question is it worth living in an outpost, then that's clearly no at this point, but it could be after being able to set docking rights.

Edit: Also the term "Risk vs Reward" is used alot, but risk is 100% relative to the person or group taking the risk. 1 person bringing a 10M nic bot to beta is risking more than a group of 30 each bringing a 20M NIC bot.

Well ... Betas are ENDGAME.

So yes, it is for player with many EPs and player who allready managed to get some friends.

We play a MMOG == Massive MULTIPLAYER Game

That really depends on how you are using the word endgame. In a themepark MMO, endgame means your character is at max level, and is doing activites designed for max level characters.

Based on that definition is no endgame in Perpetuum. Even if you were to bend the definition to just say that only endgame is only playable by characters with the Highest EP, Foom owning an outpost is a perfect counter to that. Players of any level can 'participate' in the beta islands, it doesn't require you to be at 'the end game'. Of course it's more difficult, but no player is excluded based on any critieria.

MMO leveling games, if your level 5 and attacking a level 20 your going to get killed very quickly, but that doesn't make level 20 end game. If you in an arkhe going to beta, that 5 star mech isn't going to have much trouble killing you, but again that doesn't make beta end game.

And if you didn't notice, I'm also supporting your arguement.

There's no reason to scale Beta rewards up based on the 'risk' level of single or small groups of players, when a large group or a a smaller more experienced group, has significantly less risk but would recieve the same reward. In other terms, don't give the level 20 super loot just because it's hard for a level 5 to kill, because a level 30 or a group of level 10's can kill it easily.

The thread though isn't about the definition of endgame, its about how to get more players to beta, and increasing the reward is one way to do that. I don't think it's the correct way, since given time alpha simply gets too easy and those looking for a challenge will naturally move to the beta islands. All an increase does is give more reward to the players already there.

67 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-19 19:21:46)

The more I mess around with potential pvp fits, the more I change my mind and begin to agree with the people saying EP scales characters too fast. I'm not motivated to head out there when a guy using the same fit but with 25-30 more ranks in key extensions has literally 90x my survivability vs sustained damage, 4x my survivability vs alpha, and twice my dps. It's going to be 6 months before I have half the EP early access people have, at which point the gap may be narrow enough that it won't feel like outright suicide to engage. Scratch that, to be seen. Asking to increase the rewards for those who can operate out there with a much lower level of risk than the rest of us is fairly rich tbh. Just talking about beta risk from the perspective of someone with 8x the EP of many players is bad enough.

Mammoth. Your over simplifying PVP. Out of 600 players online, only 30 or 40 of them will be EA.

Your not in a corporation, that makes PVP 100x more difficult right there, regardless of your EP.

6 months or a year from now, you'll have about the same surviablity solo on beta that you do today.

69 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-19 19:32:05)

Actually this character is an alt for the forum. Since I have a tendency to love debating controversial stuff, I'd rather not alienate my corp or their allies by using a known alt.

BTW, player numbers in general during my usual playtimes have just about doubled with the arrival of all the ex eve guys after the monocle thing. That means about half the server has been here a lot longer than the other half. And yes, I know you can leave general, but it's a representative sample nonetheless.

70 (edited by Arga 2011-07-19 19:32:19)

Mammoth's Alt, your still over simplifying PVP.

Listing all the benefits that EP gives other players is misleading, as they don't all have all those benfits at the same time. That's not to say that PVP is easy, because that dedicated Tank fit character can still put in T4 weapons to make up for a little less EP in DPS.

When your fighting characters with EP, equipment, and experience advantage, then yes your in trouble. In that triad though EP is has the 'least' effect, but combine either EP or equipment with Experience and that opponent is still going to be difficult to beat, even if you have more EP.

71 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-19 20:14:12)

Actually, yes they do have all those advantages at once. That was just the most blatant example. I've got plenty more that aren't as bad but are still a long way from close. Every time I try a fit, I check how it would look if a guy with 3x the EP was running it, and then put it on the shelf to 'come back to in 6 months'. You don't need points all over the place, just a few key extensions a few points higher than the other guy.

EP is an equipment advantage too. Limited CPU/Reactor/Slots ensures that. It's also likely to go hand in hand with an experience advantage, but that's the one I'm happy to take on. I'll lose to inexperience, and I won't care, because I'll be gaining experience. I'll lose to poor equipment, because the other guy is risking more than me to gain that advantage. I won't lose to insufficient EP, because it's irrational to try until the relative gap is smaller in a few months.

If everyone had started last month, I'd be out there now. Anyone who feels the risk is too high for their superman toons should consider if they really belong there.

72 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-07-19 20:25:18)

Arga wrote:

That really depends on how you are using the word endgame. In a themepark MMO, endgame means your character is at max level, and is doing activites designed for max level characters.

Based on that definition is no endgame in Perpetuum. Even if you were to bend the definition to just say that only endgame is only playable by characters with the Highest EP, Foom owning an outpost is a perfect counter to that. Players of any level can 'participate' in the beta islands, it doesn't require you to be at 'the end game'. Of course it's more difficult, but no player is excluded based on any critieria.

Foom doesn't really own an outpost. Their name is on it, but they don't use it anymore.

MMO leveling games, if your level 5 and attacking a level 20 your going to get killed very quickly, but that doesn't make level 20 end game. If you in an arkhe going to beta, that 5 star mech isn't going to have much trouble killing you, but again that doesn't make beta end game.

In WoW, I chain killed a 50 something shaman on horde with a 40 human warlock on a pvp server. It was mighty hilarious. He kept repopping and coming at me, only to get his *** beat once again. This was Burning Crusade. Also had a lot of fun surpize buttsecksing a group of 40 somethings on a 35 horde druid; they'd split up to chase me in sneaky cat form, I'd bounce out and nail one and then disappear.

Course, I also got stomped by a pair of 70s on one occasion, and that was hilarious as ***. Anyway, careful play will let you beat the numbers even when the deck is stacked against you.

And if you didn't notice, I'm also supporting your arguement.

There's no reason to scale Beta rewards up based on the 'risk' level of single or small groups of players, when a large group or a a smaller more experienced group, has significantly less risk but would recieve the same reward. In other terms, don't give the level 20 super loot just because it's hard for a level 5 to kill, because a level 30 or a group of level 10's can kill it easily.

The thread though isn't about the definition of endgame, its about how to get more players to beta, and increasing the reward is one way to do that. I don't think it's the correct way, since given time alpha simply gets too easy and those looking for a challenge will naturally move to the beta islands. All an increase does is give more reward to the players already there.

Most of the suggestions seem to be based around increasing the reward per unit of time rather than the potential reward. As an example, someone suggested increasing the rate of ore extraction and moving the fields further out from outposts. So, fields would be easier for us roaming gankers to nab people at before they can flee, and they'd have the same amount of ore BUT it would take them less time to clear the field. We've nabbed the occasional solo miner, so it ain't safe.

Another suggestion had to do with faster build times. A faster build time means more volume at the same margin; the player isn't going to be able to outcompete alpha indies on that measure alone, because those guys don't have to haul it to market through a dangerous area. And before you say it ain't dangerous, we've nabbed a few sequers attempting to return after an alpha run.

Where there's risk, there's a risk premium on the activity. If you figure you'll lose a Riveler or whatever every fifth mining op, then every run needs to be slightly more than one fifth of a Riveler more profitable than on alpha. One way to do that is making the stuff you're doing flat out more valuable. That's how rats were handled in beta. The other is to increase the time efficiency of your money making actions. That's what is being suggested here.

Will players in big groups gangmining in beta with mech support make more? Well, yeah. Duh. They're also putting a huuuuuuuuge amount of cash in the field, organizing a bunch of people and generally making things happen. It's fair that they also make more money, because if that op gets gatecrashed they are gonna die in a fire. And they're also putting way more effort into it than some guy logging in and wandering out to an alpha field, where he's at no more real risk than if he were logged off.

It's a reasonable idea that might get a few more people to brave the wilderness.

73 (edited by Arga 2011-07-19 21:29:35)

There's just a huge balance issue on beta when you talk about incentives.

If a solo player gets 100 extra units on beta, then the beta corp gets 1000 extra units when they use 10 people, or 10,000 times the bonus when they have 100 people doing it.

Lets say NeX with 300 active players gets onto an outpost in the near future, and the small 100 unit bonus is in place as an incentive. Once they get settled in and using that bonus, only another Beta corp will be able to unseat them, simply because the beta advantage when multiplied by large numbers makes it so an alpha based corp can never gain enough power to unseat them.

Look at the situation now. The only thing keeping CIR from claiming additional islands is thier statement that they won't do it; but it would also be very difficult because of their membership level. Add 300 players to CIR even at the current 'reward' levels and they could easily hold two full islands, if not three (not that they want to, just showing that a developed beta corp with the man power have suffcient resources to do so as it is now).

I do however completely disagree with your indy statement. Access to level 6 missions and level 3 refining alone gives beta corps such a huge material benefit, as well as time-only epitron, they could lose 50% to pirates and still out profit alpha; there's simply no reason for them to bother.

Edit: Note I assume we are just talking about 'baked in' bonuses just for being on Beta. The addition of POS or other destructable strutures that enhance an agent's productivity, while providing a similar benefit, are something that an enemy can distrupt. No, this doesn't mean unattended resource gathering.

The obvious problem is risk/reward.  Anytime a small corp tries to take an outpost, they get curb stomped. Its like taking an outpost comes with a sign saying I live and mine here now, please come kill me. I am not saying that it shouldn't be like that, but there has to be some line drawn that offers people some incentive. Maybe its station defenses, maybe its opening up a "free trade zone", maybe its saying only the OWNING corp can use the faculties, but there has to be some mechanism that allows people to fight and SURVIVE on beta. More money/resources/kernals is only going to widen the gap as the beta corps will be able to grind out even more stuff and the alpha corps will only be able to ninja stuff. I think that the effort should be focused on beta survival, not beta rewards. Hell, maybe its removing the epi requirement from mechs. I honestly don't know what the answer is I am just throwing *** against the wall hoping something sticks.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

In WoW, I chain killed a 50 something shaman on horde with a 40 human warlock on a pvp server.

If you knew how to play them, affliction warlocks in Burning Crusade were awesome. Especially between lvl 33 and up to about 50. Destruction was also nice, but affliction earned much more tears because of the mechanics (and lol healing self so much you out-ranked priests in AB and WSG @39).

Back to the topic.

I'm noob and what I say may be wrong. But I think people is asking the wrong questions. The real question is not "why would an alfa corp want to move to beta" but "why would a beta corp that controls another territory want to conquer your territory". That reason would be valid for the alfa corps too, and then we may eventually ask wether there is an imbalance that prevent alfans to have a chance.

For what I understand there currently is no or extremely weak incentive for a beta corp that controls a similar outpost somewhere else, to desire the control of an enemy outpost. I know P is not EvE, but many here know how EvE works and there are similarities, therefore it's reasonable to use it for examples. The solution of the above problem in EvE is moongoo. This was especially true in the old mechanics when the development of nullsec (EvE's beta area) was still incomplete. Moons (at least some moons) were the most valuable resource in the game, only exploitable by the owner and the very definition of territorial control.

In P there is absolutely nothing in enemy territory that you cannot exploit without conquering that territory. Except for the outpost itself, which is not going to give you much more than what you already have if you control another similar outpost.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman