Topic: first impressions

Just started yesterday, the game has great potential =]

My first impressions doing the tutorial was great except for the speed - from what I've read this isn't a new topic.

Possible solutions - Some kind of not-in-combat use boooster (turbo, antigrav, booster rockets) that you could train to use.  This would function as a mount as in WOW etc, or Afterburner / Microwarpdrive as in EVE. 

Also, one thing that would, in my opinion, should be in the game is the availability to 'jump' or 'fall' down steeper areas rather than artificially elongating the game just to get to a mission waypoint.

The game is meant to be fun right?  Taking 10 minutes to walk oh so slowly to your destination just to  pop a bad guy then 10 minutes walk back is just way too painful...  No fun.

Re: first impressions

I'm with you on this one. Although they added highways to speed up through those land bridges, missions are still too painful/boring due to travel and there is little in rewards.

They are changes to new player experience and combat missions on the pipeline afaik, to give better rewards depending on distances and such. Transport missions give out much better rewards so its somewhat unbalanced in that regard. Devs know this issue and changes will come hopefully soon.

Mean while if you need extra nic do transports with parallel assignments or mine ore. If  a combat player just go out and collect kernals sell then in bulk, some corps are willing to pay high prices for some of them.

aka celebro

IMHO you should feel your speed to understand how it's important big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Speed is King in PVP. This doesn't just mean while your red combat lights are flashing. Intercepting or escaping are also directly effected by speed, as well as logisitcs and the ability to zerg.

Any speed 'booster' module would be immeditally a 'must have' unit for PVP, unless it was limited to use on alpha; and that's just really poor design.

My suggestion, Remove the navigation skill. This is already something that everyone has to spend thier EP on and its the first (or should be) skill new players get to 9 or 10. When a skill becomes like this, it stops being relevant and is just an EP sink; which is not good with a a 1 EP / sec fixed system.

Adjust the base speed of the bots to the equivalent of Nav 10, and remove the skill. Vet players already have this skill to 10 and new players will benefit with quicker travel times from the start.

Maybe just link or transform navigation to something else? Making it influented something, or maybe some negative effect even. Says, higher navigation allows you to polot heavy bots well but making light bots harder to control somehow, due to high-speed.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

6 (edited by Guns nButter 2011-06-23 16:38:49)

Arga wrote:

Speed is King in PVP. This doesn't just mean while your red combat lights are flashing. Intercepting or escaping are also directly effected by speed, as well as logisitcs and the ability to zerg.

Any speed 'booster' module would be immeditally a 'must have' unit for PVP, unless it was limited to use on alpha; and that's just really poor design.

My suggestion, Remove the navigation skill. This is already something that everyone has to spend thier EP on and its the first (or should be) skill new players get to 9 or 10. When a skill becomes like this, it stops being relevant and is just an EP sink; which is not good with a a 1 EP / sec fixed system.

Adjust the base speed of the bots to the equivalent of Nav 10, and remove the skill. Vet players already have this skill to 10 and new players will benefit with quicker travel times from the start.

Kind of like learning skills in eve. Good idea.

Line wrote:

Maybe just link or transform navigation to something else? Making it influented something, or maybe some negative effect even. Says, higher navigation allows you to polot heavy bots well but making light bots harder to control somehow, due to high-speed.

Permanently gimping your ability to use another class of bot? Hell no.

Ok, so I'm new, but this sounds more like a generic game design issue than something specific to Perpetuum...

Arga wrote:

It doesn't have to be a must have if there are sufficient other options or if it introduces a weakness. E.g. if boosting made you easier to lock/hit with oversized weapons. Or even unable to activate specific other modules while boosting, or maybe unable to lock anything for a short time after disabling the boost. Or just introduce a counter module that turns the booster off, kinda like ecm. It'd still be useful but only in specific situations; by equipping the booster, you'd gamble on these situations being more common for you than those where you'd be better off with, say, an armor mod.

A must have is bad in any case, but a balanced gamble is normally very desirable as is anything that adds real decisions I have to make. For extensions, you obviously don't want drawbacks; with Nav 10 the problem that I see is more that you seem to accept speed as king in pvp though. It doesn't have to be that way, and I would actually see it as a design fault.

The devs have discussed teleporting the player to mission objectives for certain PVE content only. That should fix one of the speed problems. They also mentioned a rudimentary autopilot, which solves more problems. I'm thinking patience is the best idea.

Arga wrote:

This. Skill is mandatory for all agents, if only to make travel faster, so just give it to everybody for free instead of having us all wasting a large number of our starting EPs  on it.

Guilu wrote:
Arga wrote:

This. Skill is mandatory for all agents, if only to make travel faster, so just give it to everybody for free instead of having us all wasting a large number of our starting EPs  on it.

Is this the learning skill of Eve?

Arga wrote:

/support

HhYyDdRrAa
tribal warriors

"There must be War . . . "

Navigation increases your base speed, it doesn't effect the amount of EP you have to spend on increasing extensions. The comparision is being made to the Learning skill in that it was something that all players should train up first, and those that don't are actually at a disadvantage in the game.

Any profession, even playing the market, requires you to get where you going as fast as possible, so increasing your base speed in the game has become a do-it or suffer, not a do-it and benefit, skill.