Re: Catching up is hard to do

full catching is possible. not everyone will raise all the extentions, just these he want to so youll be able to raise the same extentions at same level somedays. and even if you gonna raise everything you have - numbers of extensions aren't unlimited, and devs can't add them infinitively. so in about 25 years playing EVERYONE will be at the same level.

but there is an idea. we have some ppl leavd the game by different reasons - probably we can have theyr EP big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Well 25 years is a pretty long time.

I think one year should be more than enough to raise every required skills to fill one specific role. For one faction.
Then you add another year if you want to do the same with the other 2 factions. smile

One year, or even 6 month is already a big argument preventing new players from joining the game. They think like: what? So I have to pay 80€ and wait 6 month before I can really play? Screw this game.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

false,
u can play, enjoy and compete from day one; efficientlly lets say from day 60.
What you wont do its overcome older players EP. period. You can use them more effiecientlly and as i said you will eventually have the same extensions installed if you wish.
Ofc, what needs to be noted here its that many other factors play into the game besides EP.
So you can "catch up" into the game, thinking you will win older players without having to put more efforts into it its naïve at least.

Find 1, 2, 10, 100 more such newbie players and you'll be able to more or less compete old players. This game more oriented on team-play i believe.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I am a new player, I just started on the 16th of this month.  Catching up? I am not worried about catching up with EP.  I am mored worried about learning how to play the game and how to play each type of robot to the max.

Its like every other MMO on the planet, Veterns have the advanage over new players.  This will not stop people who want to play this game from playing this game.  This will stop the "I want to Win NOW" players from playing this game, which is a good thing.

The whole Vet vs Newb is a waste of time and should not even be a topic.  In 6 months from now,  will be roaming around in the robot I want, doing whatever I want in the game, that is good enough for me.  I am currently doing whatever I want in game, driving around my little assault robot and mining on my other account.

The thing with EP is how much really comes in to play when in a PvP fight, you are only going to be using the EP you have spent on the extentions for that robot and equipment, you will not be using all of your EP vs all of my EP.  You will be using all of your EP for that current robot and I will be using all of my EP for my current robot.  So the 300000 EP you spent on other robots, weapons, ect is useless to you in this current fight.

Sorry for my wall of text.

That is more like a small hedge of text... perhaps a shrubbery's worth. smile

How can you know how to measure a good shrubbery unit? Are you a Shrubber? Is shrubbery you trade?

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Gaulois wrote:

How can you know how to measure a good shrubbery unit? Are you a Shrubber? Is shrubbery you trade?

Maybe you can ask these guys? www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

Gaulois wrote:

You don't have to be an engineer to estimate the height of a wall, but if you are an engineer you can estimate the height of a shubbery, even if you couldn't build one yourself.

I wish I was a shrubber sad

Back on topic -

The lynch pin statement "I can't compete against higher EP players" itself is false. As pointed out, this isn't a 1v1 game, so you shouldn't be competing directly against any player; not even in the market since its anonymous.

Also, there's this perception that after just a few weeks or a month, a new player should be able to catch up. The premise is that "I have more time to play, so I'll catch them". If you check out the thread about 'How much time do you spend playing', you'll see a large number of players are online 4-8 hours per DAY; that's actively playing thier account and building up NIC and resources, not just EP. So to just compare a 6 month of EP player to 1 month EP player ignores 900 hours of additional game play; which is a lot of experience.

tl;dr - Just giving new players more EP won't make them competitive, because that's not how the game works.

The difference between low and high extension is not much
The difference between low tier and high tier equip is not much either

but if you combine both progressions (they multiply with each other) you get a far greater difference. ... loads up google spreadsheet again for the number-lovers, perhaps i can visualize that.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

OP needs to let go of the fact that he wasn't the first one into the game.

Just like in EvE skills, doesn't matter that much, unless you're just competing to see who has the most Skills.

The overall effect is not going to matter once you've been playing for a bit.

The current player base is so small, that if you sub now with this wave of Eve cross-overs, there will be only 300 or so plaeyrs with more EP; and you'll be 'even' with the players that join now, and ahead of those joining over the next few weeks.

I've seen this argument quite a lot in Eve, and my answer is always the same.

Once you hit the same level in a skill/extension as I do, I am no longer ahead of you. Sure I might have 23 more level 5 or 10 (max lol) than you because I have played for a year or three more, but that is what happens to those of us who got in early on a game.

More importantly, when my main in Eve was four years old, I started a new character, solely to be a pirate. The first couple of months were hard, my main could fly almost every ship I could want and even a lot I didn't want, I could use a couple weapon systems to perfection or near perfection, had much more flexibility in what to fly. New pirate was just Amarr. But by month six, I was getting fairly good skill progression as I planned to do something and do something well...more than well, as best as I could.

I maxed out cap, fitting, energy warfare, drones, Recon, every non-jump/portal nav etc all to level 5's. In a pilgrim/curse/neut legion I think I might be God lol. However my actual laser/gunnery skills were just-barely-into-T2 with supports still L3 or so. Not a single missile skill. But as a neuting machine, I was tops, and always welcome in gangs, and encouraged to do it instead of trying to do DPS unless it was needed (and I did at least have decent T2 gunnery).

Point is, my pirate character with less than half my main's SP is actually a lot better in some areas. Sure, still not as flexible as I've stayed focused on Amarr stuff, but easily better in a lot of ways than my main.

Even at 6mil SP (very young if you aren't familiar with Eve skill progression) I could kill a 5 year old player. I learned from some good pirates and the Agony team, but I am nowhere near as good as 90% of the other pvp'ers.

I'm not upset at where I've started in PO for the same reasons, and I don't believe anyone else should be either for the simple fact that there are so many extensions, and we all get EP at the same rate, that we couldn't possibly max them all out. More importantly, who would want to if it took as long as it does? Instead of trying to get max level in every skill and only getting a little ways there on each, I'd rather max out a few skills that are necessary for me to fit in, have a role, and enjoy playing.

I'm envious of the guys in Eve with 120+ mil sp, and I'll be envious of the PO players that have been here the longest with a heck of a lot more EP than I will ever have. I can't remember how many times though in Eve new or younger players would pine away with the "geez Angry I wish I had as many SP as you so I could do more." The same way I would to players older than me. But as time goes on, it really becomes meaningless. I still can't fly a carrier or any other capship in Eve, not with a 2004 char nor 2005's nor any others. I chose to specialize and those weren't in the plan for what I wanted to do.

Sorry to make this an Eve-PO comparison, but the skill/EP system is quite similar. There simply is no way to catch up to the older players, and there shouldn't be since they've put in the time and money. I have a feeling that the time it takes me to train up high levels is time I'll have to learn every nuance of the mechs I'm trying to pilot, as well as tactics, terrain, bonuses, etc.

Ok, now that was wall of text. I apologize.